Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend and I are looking for some trips to take this summer on the boat. I have a 260 sundancer, (28' overall, 8'6" beam). We have gone to Lexington numerous times, and are looking for a change. How far is it to Cedar Point/Put in Bay? Does anyone have any information about that trip? How long would a trip to Mackinac be? (Is it too far/not recommended with my size boat?) Also, are there any cool cities or harbors that anyone would recommend? Thanks, we are in St Clair Shores

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I think you could go to any of the places you mentioned , just have to have a flexible schedule and be very aware of the weather , also a very nice trip would be up to Tobermory on the Canadian side of Huron. Tick Tock on the board here has a very documented website and videos of his multiple trips up the the north channel,check them out .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Dos mangos @ Jan 16 2010, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think you could go to any of the places you mentioned , just have to have a flexible schedule and be very aware of the weather , also a very nice trip would be up to Tobermory on the Canadian side of Huron. Tick Tock on the board here has a very documented website and videos of his multiple trips up the the north channel,check them out .

Thanks a lot. I'll definitely check out Tobermory. Do you know the url for Tick Tock's website?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Put-in-Bay and Cedar Point are great trips for almost any size boat. We used to do that trip in a 23' Chaparral. PIB is about 90 miles from SCS, and an easy trip if the winds cooperate. Lake Erie can get rough, so keep an eye on the weather, and you will really enjoy the trip. You can also do Cedar Point, and Kelley's Island in a week without rushing it.

Mackinac Island is also a great trip for your boat. Lake Huron has lots of ports along the way, and the longest crossing you will have, is from Harbor Beach to Oscoda. On a good day, it is a beautiful trip. On a bad day, it is best to stay in a harbor! I would estimate 18 hours of actual running time from SCS to Mackinac with your boat. We normally plan 3 days to get there, and the weather can turn it into 4 or sometimes 5. It is a great trip if you have 2 weeks to do it. There's nothing like waking up in Mackinac Harbor to Reveille.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Found this video of Tobermory and area. Its good at showing what it's really like on land. I've hiked in the area many times, and it never ceases to impress!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
QUOTE(Numbskull @ Jan 17 2010, 06:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A friend and I are thinking about doing a trip up to Cheboygan. We want to spend a couple days and cruise down the waterway to Mullett and Burt Lakes then over to Mackinaw for a day.

http://www.fishweb.com/maps/inlandwater/

I go there at least once a year and in the past have kept my boat there for 6 years , it is a great place to explore and enjoy northern michigan

·
Registered
290 Posts
We toured the eastern (Canadian) portion of the lake this summer and went to Mitchell's Bay and the Thames River. Both were awesome. We had so much fun at The Cove on the Thames we went back for Labor Day weekend. Would definitely recommend either of these two ports.

If you go to the Thames you have to eat at the restaurant at the mouth of the river next to the lghthouse. Awesome food. Fantastic Coconut Shrimp with a sauce I wish I could buy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
you gotta do the PIB trip.
you're boat is big enough to get down there no problem if the weather is good.
if its windy you're in trouble, 38 footers are even in trouble if erie get rough.
nice easy ride through the detroit river, through livingston channel, and across erie.
fun ride. im sure you've head many of stories of PIB... fun times, and cedar point is just around the corner as well.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
All of the suggestions are good.
We used to do Kelley's Island 1-2 times each summer (its a good weekend trip only about 3 1/2 hrs from SCS at an easy cruise speed).
While I haven't done the Mackinac run - I've made three cruises through the North Channel (1999, 2000 & 2002); how I got the name ... island hopping is what we do (or did). Your boat will do fine (I have a 250 'dancer). If yours is an '80's boat - you'll want to replace the stock 15 1/4 - 15 prop with a #48-16440A45 (16x16) before you tackle a lot of blue water (makes a world of difference). If you're planning a Georgian Bay or NC cruise - pick up a "Ports Guide" book (couple months before you go) - it has a LOT of very valuable information & you'll want to read it thoroughly before you go.
The Inland Waterway is also a nice trip ( did it in 2004). Its very different from the blue-water cruise routes. Your boat should make it all the way to Alanson (below Burt lake). The Crooked River is a very different boating experience - between the 200 (or so) degree turn in the devil's elbow to the straight blast through grass lake (felt like a scene from Apocalyse Now or 'Gator - running on plane in a 20'-30' wide cut between cattails). Good places to eat are the Inn Between (Indian River) and at the old Train Depot in Alanson (can't remember the name of the place) - free dockage in both those towns. There are marinas along the way in Cheboygan, Mullet Lake and in Indian River.

HTH

·
Registered
685 Posts
Just watched all of Tick Tock's videos from their 2004 trip to the North Channel. Wonderful! I want to make that trip soon. Just can't say enough about the videos. Thanks for sharing.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
I would LOVE to make it to Tobermory someday. It appears by all the pictures and videos I have seen, it's like you step back in time while up there.

I nice and simple trip to make is the Thames River. Cove Marina is decent and can be a fun party on theme weekends. Check it out. We will try and make the Thames this year. Haven't been in a couple years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts