Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You all give me too much credit. 3 for 4 were 2 musky (small), and one absolutely accidental foul hooking of the sturgeon. After wrestling with it I could totally understand targeting them (in season).

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Now that is a quality Stugeon!!! THICK BACK on that beast. She's gotta be pushin 70lbs?

I find it odd how these beasts get foul hooked. Are they just swimming off the bottom? Or did the boat go over them and spook them, push them off the bottom and then BAM they get hooked in the back by the trailing lures....? I would guess the latter.

Beautiful fish man!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I can not say how they get hooked or why...but I have foul hooked at least 10 of them the last 5-6yrs trolling, maybe more.

While trolling, we see sturgeon 'sunning' up on the surface and MANY of them jumping. (I believe people think they are muskies jumping)

However, once you see a sturgeon jump close, and you will...you can NOT miss the bow tie under their neck when they jump. (forward fins, look like a bow tie)

Most often, they come straight up out of the water, and then fall over like a tree. Once you see it, you will not forget it.

Very common to see when trolling off Huron Pte or Mid Lake.

·
Registered
962 Posts
QUOTE(heimskr @ Aug 3 2009, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok what and how are the questions I have.

After wrastlin with big grouper in the gulf I would LOVE to hook into one of these things!

michigan out of doors had a show where the dnr was catching them in the st clair river to study them. they were using dead gobys. they had a long line with a bunch of little lines that had hooks on the end baited with the dead gobys. they pulled alot of them in I was suprised how many they got. of course we cant use these methods.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
QUOTE(scotts fishing @ Aug 3 2009, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>great job i need to find out more about catching those here in mich. i use to fish for them in oregon
Hook up, (pun intended, lol) with Walleye Mike from this site. He runs Take Me Fishing Charters and does go for sturgeon. He`ll teach ya the ins and outs. Here is his site.
http://www.takemefishingcharters.com/default.htm

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Sweet looking fish nice job.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Foul hooked one of those bad boys about 2 years ago in the fall trolling for skies out from huron pointe, thought I had a state record muskie for about 10 minutes. It was as tall as me and im 5' 8". Almost spooled me twice. Awesome fight.
Great job!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.