Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out around 4:pm and headed to the area between metro and the shipping channel. Trolled all around the area using 3 oz bb's, various colors crawler harnesses. Went all the way out to the channel, nothing. Started trolling back to Harley, got within a mile of Harley still nothing.

Then the engine quit. Tried to restart and the batteries were dead. Had just enough power to keep the anchor light on and the GPS was still on. Wrote down my location just in case that died too. Set the anchor to maintain my position, and put on our life jackets. Tried calling Boat US on the marine radio but no response. Tried calling the Coast Guard on the marine radio but no response from them either. Figured there wasen't enough power. Called the Coast Guard on the phone number that I got here from wallysteve last week. When I put it in my phone last week I figured i'd never need it. They had me try the radio again, this time they heard me. They continued on the cell phone though. They called BoatUS for me and said it would be 45 minutes till they arrived. Turned around and my wife was fishing again. Didn't take that long for BoatUS to arrive and they jump started my boat. I set the idle up high and the alternator seemed to be working. I asked them to wait till I pulled the anchor. Upon pulling the anchor, it was stuck and I couldn't get it up. Good thing I asked them to wait. One of the guys tried to help but he couldn't get it up either. His partner came up and both of them finally got it up. It was stuck on a log that was stuck in the bottom. They freed the anchor and I was on my way. The Coast Guard called me every 15 minutes to check on me during the whole thing. Got back to the ramp finally and started to load the boat. Guess what, my winch battery died with the boat 3/4 way on the trailer. Not a good day for batteries.

Gonna rethink the battery switch operation. Been using it in the all position thinking that the alternator was charging both while using the boat. Never thought that while trolling at the slow speed the alternator wasen't working. Will start using it on 1 and leave the other for an emergency. Hope others can learn something from all this.

Can't wait to get out again, hopefully get some fish next time and a few less problems.

Ron...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The dreaded "all" or "both" switch setting strikes again.
Has also happened to 2 dock mates this summer.
Try to give the motor it's own battery and setting, give the house power it's own also.
Charging should not be a switch setting issue, either at the dock or underway.
For twins, 3 batteries would be the setup.
gt

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
good thing i posted that number but if you do get stuck and cant get no help you can always call me and i will come out and help you i keep 3 batteries on my small boat one for trolling motor my main batery and a back up

1 - 4 of 4 Posts