Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I took a Sunday drive today onto Harsen's and it was awesome! The biggest kick was going out to the furthest tip (twords the old club). Took a great picture of the south channel lights with Detroit, and the nine mile tower in the backround. It sure was something, to see Walkers all closed up with all the banners down. It didn't look like the same place.
I highly recommend a day trip drive to the island. Besides, it was nice to be afloat again on the ferry. It's been too long, I'm ready for the spring launch. As I'm sure you all are too.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Convincor, I do that trip at least 3 times during the winter. I love it. I'll be on the island this weekend to see Chuck Brockman, I can't wait.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
You got me hooked. Got to run saturday morning from Sterling Hgts. up to Algonac before making the Ford Field show so a side trip onto and around the island is a MUST. Just wish I had a digital camera by then. (Getting one on the 7th - I think)

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does Chuck B live on Harsen's?

I think he is an interesting fella.
How long have you known him?

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
We did the drive yesterday. It was nice. Only saw 5 other moving cars on the island and no signs of life by the itme we hit the old club. The south channellighthouses looked so peaceful out there. I wonder if the ice is sound enough to walk out to them? I know I dont want to be the statistic that tells...
Going back again on the next clear blue, sun shinny day for pics galore.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Chuck's been living on Harsens Island for the past year. His wife passed a couple years ago, so he decided to put the boat up for sale and live on the Island.

I met Chuck the day we launched LSCNet, so 3.5 years ago.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I was out there this weekend doing some painting on the cottage, and there was a knock on the door and there was this older man maybe late 50's he said I have a problem my brand new F150 just sank out in the middle of Muskamoot bay. He was out there driving around looking for a fishing hole and he found one. We went to see if we could see it and sure enough out in the middle there was his truck all you could see was the roof sticking out. No matter how cold it is you never know when your on ice how safe it is. I was told that there are gas pockets out there and they never freeze I guess he found one. I don't believe insurance will cover that either and trying to find someone to get him out!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How big of a cottage do you have?

My dream is to have a cottage (even a little shack) out there some day. Even on Dickinson island! I would love to have a little house that you could only get to by boat. Just a fantastic getaway!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
It's 970 sq. ft 2 bedroom have about 85ft. frontage on a canal off of the south channel and I love it, go by boat and have bon fires every week-end.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds perfect. Perfect for an LSCN bonfire party??!?!??!?

Do you have running water? Road access? Electric?

I am sincerly interested because I would really like to buy out there someday. Hey, you gotta have dreams!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Yes, our street was the last street that got city water when they put it in on the Island last year, but we are not connected yet. You can get there by car or boat proferable by boat and yes on electricty. Do you go to the Island alot? I love going out there even in the winter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I love it out there. The wife and I go for a Sunday drive occasionally on the island in the winter. Brown's is my favorite bar in the summer by boat. And Walker's is always visited by my boat, pretty much every time I go out. Very nice people out there. Most the time I wait to buy my beer and stuff at Walker's. I would rather giving those people my buisness than the inland stores. Us boaters are their bread and butter, man.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Convincor - I've been telling my wife I want to buy a little place on Dickinson, Harsens or any of the small islands off the Sny. I love it out there! Ideally I'd like to buy a place out there on the water and turn it into a restaurant/bar like Brown's. I told my wife I'm gonna get a job working from the house again someday so commuting won't be an issue and move us out there permanently. She wasn't too keen on that idea.

Last summer when our boat was on the fritz, I played hooky from work on a beautiful day. I took my son who's 4 (my wife went to work) and went to Wal Mart. Bought an inflatable raft and went out to the tip of Harsen's and he and I paddled around the Moot for hours. No one else was out there, we had the place to ourselves. One of the best days of my life!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man, that is a great story! I have often thought about buying a little dinghy with a small motor on it, to do that very thing. That would be awesome!

I have seen a couple of lots out there on Dickinson that all they had on it was a shed or a little one room 10' x 10' cabin. Even that would be totally cool. Hey let's get a few LSCN'ers together and go in on a lot out there! Yah right!?!?

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Have you seen the North Channel Yacht Club across from Decker's? We could use something like for our group.

But I'd settle for a little shed on any one of those islands.

My in-laws basically gave us their Zodiac, with a 7hp outboard. I had to get the motor fixed so we didn't get to use it last summer. This summer we're going to be keeping our boat up in Algonac, right across from Dickinson Island. I can't wait to get the Zodiac up there and totally explore all the places on those islands we can't get to in our 24 footer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We'll have to talk next Tuesday @ t&t's about this summer. we will definatly have to hook up and go out on that Zodiac. Dickinson island is awesome.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts