Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I worked northern Anchor Bay from 7:00 AM to 11::30. We started out fast with a couple of Smallies hitting Rattle Traps. Some largemouths were taken on black spinners. The largest being 17". I was surprise to land a couple of pike around 10:00 AM. The largest was a heathly 30". Around 11:)0 the wind picked up out of the east and the fish shut off. It was a nice morning.

I noticed a couple of dead salamders (or Waterdogs) floating in the bay. I knew they were in the lake, but I never imagined that they were so big. One was at least a foot long, the second was closer to 16". Has anyone else seen these things that big? It would be a hell of a Musky bait.

·
Registered
654 Posts
QUOTE(Bassing Bill @ Jun 14 2009, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I worked northern Anchor Bay from 7:00 AM to 11::30. We started out fast with a couple of Smallies hitting Rattle Traps. Some largemouths were taken on black spinners. The largest being 17". I was surprise to land a couple of pike around 10:00 AM. The largest was a heathly 30". Around 11:)0 the wind picked up out of the east and the fish shut off. It was a nice morning.

I noticed a couple of dead salamders (or Waterdogs) floating in the bay. I knew they were in the lake, but I never imagined that they were so big. One was at least a foot long, the second was closer to 16". Has anyone else seen these things that big? It would be a hell of a Musky bait.

oh yea, wait till you see a 20 incher , it looks like it came from Mars, or Klingon , pretty cool

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Yep, hellbenders can get pretty large. I've seen a couple floating this year too. But if you catch one, put it back right away as they are protected.

·
Registered
654 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jun 14 2009, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yep, hellbenders can get pretty large. I've seen a couple floating this year too. But if you catch one, put it back right away as they are protected.

oh yea, they are protected big time . but i didnt know that the hellbender species was in michigan, they get even bigger! good job fly!

·
Registered
83 Posts
The official hellbender is not native to Michigan. The nearest ones are in southern Ohio and West Virginia. Some people refer to big mudpuppies as hellbenders, but they are two different species. Hellbenders get a lot bigger than mudpuppies (up to almost 3' long), and are native to small, high quality streams in the Ohio River drainage and Appalachia. They are really cool critters, and look WAY scarier than mudpuppies.

Eric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts