Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
First time out on the big lake this year for me. Went out on my buddy Rob's boat. Started at Selfridge at 6am. Weather was crazy today. Caught a few smallies and a sheephead out in front of Selfridge. My first smallie of the year didn't even make it to 2 lbs, but I had to take a pic anyway (first one). I caught it on a gold and black 1/2 oz red eye shad. Caught a few more in front of clinton river and metro. The biggest fish came from metro by Rob (second pic). Around 3 lbs. The majority of the fish were caught on plastics (Zoom craws and a few from coffee tubes).

On the way back to Selfridge launch from 13 mile (around 1:30) we came across a guy in his boat, sinking about a mile off metro point. We had seen the C.G. go past us 5 minutes prior and didn't think much of it. Turns out this guy had called the C. G. from his cell phone as he was sinking. They apparently went right past him. When we came up to him he was trying flag anyone down. We picked him up and another boat came and called the Macomb County Sheriff. While we waited around for the sheriff we drifted around trying to pick up anything floating from his boat. Turns out this guy's bilge pump wasn't working. What a day for it to not work. The waves were nuts going north in the afternoon. My buddy's boat is 21 feet and occasionally took in some water. This guy's boat was much smaller and didn't look like it was made to take these waves. Anyway, the guy couldn't even get over to the county sheriff boat where we were at, so we we went further into shore where the waves died out and he thanked us and transferred over to the county sheriff boat. Felt good helping someone is a situation like that. He had also said the at least a dozen boats went right by him and didn't even stop. C'mon it was OBVIOUS that this guy needed help and some people either weren't even looking around the environment they were in or didn't care to help this guy. I hope he get's his boat back with as little trouble as possible.

Didn't catch a lot of fish today, but still a great day to be out.
TJW

Water Vertebrate Boat Fisherman Fish
Water Sky Boat Watercraft Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jun 28 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well done on the rescue!

Nice boat your buddy has....looks like a 621. Correct?

Thanks, Esoxfly

I'm not much of a boat guy. Could be a 621
. Every time I'm out on his boat I ask all theses questions, but then I forget. Hmmm... must be distracted by all the fishing. But it probably is the nicest fishing boat I've been on. I know it's fast as heck and he treats it like it is his fourth child...lol.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Good job on the save! Not enough people pay attention to whats going on around them.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(tjwillia @ Jun 28 2009, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>But it probably is the nicest fishing boat I've been on. I know it's fast as heck and he treats it like it is his fourth child...lol.

Of course it is! It's a Ranger!!!!

This is how my priorities go-

#1- Dog
#1a- Ranger
#2- Power Pole/Yamaha combo
#3- Girlfriend

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jun 28 2009, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(tjwillia @ Jun 28 2009, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>But it probably is the nicest fishing boat I've been on. I know it's fast as heck and he treats it like it is his fourth child...lol.

Of course it is! It's a Ranger!!!!

This is how my priorities go-

#1- Dog
#1a- Ranger
#2- Power Pole/Yamaha combo
#3- Girlfriend

LOL! my wife was reading over my shoulder. For some reason, she disagrees with the order of priorities. Except for maybe the dog.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Great job on the rescue~the macomb rag said he was in a dinghy

Came N. on the lake around 4 yesterday and I had to really concentrate on the water between the waves and the sky it was hard spotting things.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for helping out a fellow boater. It is good to know that people are out there that will help!

Just re-took the boaters saftey class with my son and it is against the law to blow by someone that is in trouble. Not sure how they write a ticket for it but I am sure that they have in the past.

stay safe!!

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Nice job on the save glad to hear there are good people still out there on the water.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
QUOTE(tjwillia @ Jun 28 2009, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... C'mon it was OBVIOUS that this guy needed help and some people either weren't even looking around the environment they were in or didn't care to help this guy. I hope he get's his boat back with as little trouble as possible.

Man I hate to say it but I have a really good feeling maybe only one of the boats that passed this guy actually would've done something if they realized what was going on, so truthfully that leaves all of those that passed him in the shitter IMO. I'm sure the rest were the same idiots that come too close on plane, throw wakes in no wake zones, and probably drive in the fast lane on the highway doing 55. It's amazing but people don't care about people anymore. Why should they? It takes too much effort to stop and help a stranger.

Maybe people never cared about people to begin with, and those that do the right thing are the anomaly? I'd probably bet I have some truth in that. Maybe not. I hope I don't but I bet many of you who read this will say you agree.

Thanks for stopping tjwillia. That could've been my dad, brother, or best friend.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jun 28 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nah, she's #1.

Awwww you big softy!! And no offense, but your ranger's even hotter than my girl and I asked her to be stuck with me forever! I'm thinking I should've opted for the Ranger....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thank you all for your comments. We really just did what anyone would have done. Stopped and helped someone in trouble.
After calming down a bit, I suppose those that "didn't see him" had there attention focused on navigating that area. It was incredibly rough and we were barely going faster than trolling speed. Plus there were two sets of eyes on the boat. But really, people should pay more attention. The poor guy shivering like crazy when we got him in the boat.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Way to GO! A big thank you for helping out any stranded boater - let alone one in distress!

Nice pup ESOXFLY - working on getting mine to stay in the boat rather than jump in after every bird she sees!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts