Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading an article on the new Innovator and was wondering what everyone thought of it. Do you like the hinged center dash? For some reason I just don't think I'd like it. (never seen it in person) I was thinking that it could be a pain to have to raise and lower it. How many times under way do you need to stop and run in the cabin for something. I know that when the engine is on you cannot open the drivers side. What if a stormed rolled in the bay and everyone took cover in the cabin is there a cover to protect the dash? Seems like it's another thing that could break down the road. Are all these mute points cause it's a race boat not a party hoper? Just wondering what you all thought. Is this something were going to see more of in the future?

*For the record I love Sunsation boats and would love to own a Innovator.*

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about the size of the pics. There from there site and I couldn't downsize them without doing a lot of work.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You got it bestlight. To enter the cabin you have to lift it up. When the engines on you can't lift the right side at all. Above 3,000 RPM the whole dash is locked down.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
What is the advantage of having this? Just asking.....
racing ? help c.g. of the boat while in chop ?
I agree with best light, may be a deathtrap, but i do not know anything about it....

how do you get out,safely, once you are in there, say, gettin something, and the boat is under power???
anyone know ?

i think susnsation is a fine boat, but i don't know the advantages to this as a recreation boater.

·
Registered
419 Posts
i don't like that at all. maybe i am more of a traditionalist, but i can't imagine that this will catch on. also as stated, seems like a PITA if you wanted to grab something out of the cabin.

G

·
Well it looks cool, but practically speaking seems a little too gimicky. It doesn't look like it compromise hull strength and
I'd be afraid how much it might rattle around on your average weekend on LSC. I guess the structural part would be
my biggest concern. Compared to some race or poker run edition boats, like a 38' with 2 or 4 bolsters and no cabin at
all, it seems very practical.

·
Registered
991 Posts
If you notice, by having the opening dash, it allows the front bolsters to be side by side which is something I would love to have in my Dominator. It allows enough space to get into cabin and yet still have the foot pedals for your feet when the dash is closed.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think this is a great idea, it's a boat that will appeal to a lot of the serious poker runners. It's a lot safer when running fast in traffic to have two people working the controls. this set up gives you the option of driving and throttling or seperating it between two people. As far as being a death trap, you should never be underneath while your underway. Sunsation has very good quality and I know they over engineered the mechanics involved in the opening and closing of the hatchs. The only concern I would have with the boat would be the two onboard computers and how they would hold up to the pounding.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
QUOTE(rerun @ Apr 28 2003, 08:40 PM)I was reading an article on the new Innovator and was wondering what everyone thought of it. Do you like the hinged center dash? For some reason I just don't think I'd like it. (never seen it in person) I was thinking that it could be a pain to have to raise and lower it. How many times under way do you need to stop and run in the cabin for something. I know that when the engine is on you cannot open the drivers side. What if a stormed rolled in the bay and everyone took cover in the cabin is there a cover to protect the dash? Seems like it's another thing that could break down the road. Are all these mute points cause it's a race boat not a party hoper? Just wondering what you all thought. Is this something were going to see more of in the future?

*For the record I love Sunsation boats and would love to own a Innovator.*
Are You buying ??

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ummmmm at 200K as tested....i'm not buying..no

I think everyone knows that they did it so that they could
have centered side by side seats. But there are other boats on the
market that have side by side seats without the center cabin door.
If there is enough room to stand next to the seat.....couldn't they of
put a cabin door in there? Or did they just do it to be diffrent. Which I think
is a great thing. There a local company that has fans around the country.
I couldn't think of anything better for this area and LSC than a company
pushing the edge of boat design.

·
Registered
387 Posts
This boat is setup for the more serious poker runners in mind.

A few years back, the guys at Sunsation made a "racing style" helm layout for an F-2 boat that was supposed to be campaigned in the APBA Offshore circuit. The reaction they got at the Fall (I think) boat show was so overwhelming, they decided to make a version of this new "race style" helm for recreational use. One catch; the original design, much like most other race boats, had no provisions for cabin access. This is when the decided to try the "flip up" dash design.

I personally think the idea is great! I can't count how many +30 foot "poker run edition" boats I've seen that had nothing for a cabin. For example, there was a 50 foot Catamaran down in Miami this year with four (count 'em FOUR) Sterling 1200 HP motors, yet only had seating for FIVE people. 1.3 Million for a 50 foot, and place to keep your beer cold?!? Come on now. On the flip side, builders like Outerlimits are starting to hear the buyers complain about the lack of cabins in these high end boats. They are starting to make their GTX (super fancy Poker Run Style) with some sort of a cabin up front.

I think Sunsation is really ahead of their times with this design. Yes the cabin access is blocked once under way, but I would want to be down there once underway to begin with. Especially on Lake St. Clair during any summer weekend. Also, if the racing style layout isn't you're flavor, they still offer the standard Dominator setup with bolsters on the side and cabin door in the middle.

-Bayley

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
God.....those pics look great and remind me how much I love being on the water.

What's the big diffrence between the Innovator and Dominator. Just the layup and flip-up cabin. Can you get the same power in them?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Same power available in both.

Th Innovator is supposed to be slightly faster with the same power due to it's newer bottom design, but I think the difference is pretty minimal. The Innovator also is about 6 inches "taller" than the Dominator. With the extra height, the boys up in Algonac were finally able to put an enclosed head in their boats.

Also, don't let those pictures fool you... it was DAMN cold out that morning. Somewhere around 50 degrees. No for the faint of heart. I guess that's why the lake was so calm that morning.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I think they did a great job on it. I have seen it up close and it's pretty wild. Who's buying one this summer, I want to go for a ride!

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
For a seriuos poker run participant, this is a very cool set up.
Good job at the sunsation plant, good job barry, good job wayne, ( i met you guys through John Huber yrs back)
really like the higher hull...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts