Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys think it is absolutely necessary to use a mono or fluoro leader when using fireline or braided line? I want to use 10lb fireline on a spinning reel for tubes and grubs for smallies and heavier braid for slop type fishing for bucketmouths on another rod and was wondering if I could just tie direct to the lures. Thanks

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I tie direct all the time for years. I think 10lb is way to heavy of line for the tubes and grub. You would be better off with 4lb and 6lb. but would need the reel for that. I'm talking about fireline because that's all i use. Never tryed anything else. I went from all trilene green to fireline the day it was for sale in the area and never looked back. oh my... fish just feel so much bigger on it and i never have set the hook once. Not so much the pound test but it's the diameter that excite's me. 4lb is 1lb. diameter. That's like sewing thread. I find for chucking 1/8 oz. and below 4lb. is excellent you can really cast far with that combo. And 4lb. is under rated. If the lure is over 1/8 oz. Than i chuck 6lb. and that's 2lb. diameter. I use 10lb. for crankin 3/4 oz. cleo's casting for salmon. So try the lightest line you can get away with matching it to your lure weight. I use the trilene knot all the time and never have a problem with it. Go around 5 times for sure. Leave a 1/4 in. tag end and pull it tight test it and make sure it's strong before you send your lure to the moon.

h2o<---only use's smoke fireline.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
H2O, I know you're the fireline master from what you've posted. I thought that 10lb fireline might be too heavy for the grub and tube presentations for the smallies. I'm using a shimano sahara 2000 series reel (right in the middle as far as size I believe). Would this reel be o.k if I dropped down in size when using fireline? Thanks!!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
On the spool it tells what's recommended but fireline is thinner in diameter than all most all line so i would thing 6lb would be ok on a medium reel, with alot of backing about 1/3 mono backing for casting for smallies. I use the shimano Spirex 1000 for my 4lb that's a lite reel, shimano Spirex 2000 for my 6lb. and shimano Spirex 4000 for my 8lb and 10 lb. You could use 4lb and 6lb on it but use alot of backing than load the reel up. If it's not full enough for your satisfaction than strip the line off and put more backing on and load it up. I can and do use 4lb at times on my spirex 2000 only because i have about 10 extra spools. Extra spools are dandy because if you get a knot or your line bunch's up you can just quickly change spools and when your home relaxed work on the knot or line bunch up and I've even used needles and pins to undue knots that happen from time to time as aposed to cutting the line.

h2o<---says hope that helps,, 1/8 oz. and under 4lb.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I use 8 to 12 pound fireline sometimes for deep drifting tubes in the main river channels throughout the late summer and fall. I don't usually use a leader for the over 20 foot deep stuff with the fireline.

I use a lot of 5" tubes with larger jig hooks. A stiff flick of the wrist and just keep the line tight to get the big smallies in. If I think they are finicky or I'm casting and working shallow, I'll use 8 to 14 pound Vanish flouro on spinning (8 or 10) or casting (over 10 lbs test).

For slop bass, I wouldn't worry about a leader. The less knots, the better your bait will come through without catching lettuce. The bass won't normally see your line anyway. I use regular braid even for the really thick stuff. If I use mono, I'm using well over 20 lbs test. I don't worry about the line other than that it has to be strong enough to pull in 50 pounds of plants after a big one burrows into it.

I also use heavy fireline on spinning reels to skip under complex docks and similar structure. In clear water where the bass don't seem real aggressive, I'll use a heavy flourocarbon leader (20 lbs) to the lure sometimes.

Also, if you happen to fish tournaments, the faster you get the bass in the better. Even if you don't fish tournaments, the last benefit of using as heavy a line as you can is that the bass spends less time fighting and is therefore in better shape when you release it or put it in the livewell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts