I quit cold turkey a year and a half ago, and I am SO glad...it's hard, but DEFINITELY worth it. God, that pic of the lungs should be enough to convince everyone!
1) Cold turkey is better, the farther away you are from cigs, the better.
2) When you get a craving, know that smoking is NOT an option, and in a few minutes the craving will pass.
3) The longer you go without smoking, the cravings come less often and less intense. If you break down and cheat, you are just prolonging this process.
4) DON'T QUIT QUITTING
good for you laney!.. i need to quit too... pretty sad that they can advertise right on the cigarette packages, how bad it is for you and we still do it.. this ones kind of funny, but some of the ads on the canadian cigarettes are horrible.. I'll try to find some more.
MellyJo and I quit about 2.5 years ago now. I had smoked for 11 years and her for about 7 years. We quit cold turkey and neither of us had any trouble at all. We just made sure that we didn't let it affect our lives. We didn't quit drinking alcohol, coffee, etc. We didn't use gum or food as subsitutes. We just weren't smokers anymore and it was easy as could be. Both of us had quit many times before but had always changed our lives because of it. That is not the way to do it.
Congrats Laney!! You can do it!!
Reasons not to smoke other than health issues are:
1. They are expensive. A pack a day for a year is $1274.00. You could have taken a vacation to Hawaii, bought a ton of new clothes and shoes, got a new big screen tv, got Laskik, paid down a credit card, how about if you had invested the $1274...mucho bucks!!
2. Smoking smells bad. It sticks to your hair, clothes, furniture, car, etc. YUK, who wants to smell like that.
3. It turns your teeth yellow, now you have to spend $1274 a year on cigarettes and $500 on teeth bleeching.
4. Ages your skin, now you have to buy all kinds of products and get facials and stuff so you face will glow again!
5. Ashes get everywhere, they are always blowing around, now you have to spend more time cleaning your house and car.
6. It's bad for your kids to inhale, believe it or not, studies show that smoke residue gets into kids lungs.
Also, I heard that drinking orange juice can help to curb the cravings!
Good for you, congratulations and best of luck. As long as your on your way to a new healthful life now would be the perfect time to get going on an exercise program, take a walk, ride a bike, do some stretching. Get in touch with YOUR body take care of and it will take care of you. If you can, stop drinking alcohol, at least for a short time. Drink water lots of water drink water even when your not thirsty, try for a gallon a day start early or you'll be up all night. Minute by minute they all count.