Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a easy question for the experienced.
I always have water in the bilge for some reason. This weekend I think I have found out why.

I trimmed the drive up to inspect my prop when I heard water dripping in. When I trimmed down it stopped.

I am told that there is some sort of boot that may be torn.
What do you think?

If this is the case, is it an easy fix for an Alpha one?

Thanks

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
If it is the bellows (the boot) that is leaking it is not extremely hard to replace. If you have never removed your drive before I would suggest you take it in to have it done. Just about everyone on the board has their favorite shop. I would suggest you give Shipwreck Marine a call. 313-824-0300

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
It's not hard to replace although you may need some special tools. The problem is, you now have water in a place where there wasn't supposed to be water and if one of the u-joints or other parts has been in the water for a while you may have some corrosion and once that starts its only a matter of time before that part fails. Replacement of the bellows if often recommended as a routine maintenance every 5 years or so.

I had the same problem and didn't fix it right away, figured I could wait a couple weeks, just dont trim up. When they took it apart one of the u-joints was begining to rust so it had to be replaced - more money.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
This could be a real safety issue, I would think twice about taking my boat out before I have had it fixed. This comes from experience. You could just have a small leak now, but that could get bigger real quick. And if your anchored and don't realize that your bilge keeps running, well your batteries will wear down and the pump won't be able to keep up. And when you realize what's going on, there'll be no power to start the engine.

My bellows got a BIG split it it like instantanously, and water was coming in like crazy. I couldn't turn the engine off because the bilge was running continuously, and I knew that the batteries would run down pretty quick. I ended up leaving my boat at the marina running, the crew that was on it stayed while I drove back home to get my trailer. Mine was the extreme, the mechanic said it was really rotted out, and probably had been leaking and I didn't know it. My bilge pump wasn't working like it should either, not moving enough gallons per minute. I replaced that too.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I can tell you from my experience two weeks ago... Had a leak in the exhaust bellow. Pretty good size leak, the bilge would kick on about once an hour and run for a couple of minutes. Decided to have it pulled, because it is rubber and could get much bigger much faster! Had the whole transom assembly replaced. (Thanks to good advice from this board, have them replace everything they can get to, because if one gasket or bellow is at failure, the others are not far behind)
Also, the mechanic told me when the boat is in its well, leave the drive all the way down. If youn leave it in an up position, it puts stress on the bellows and can decrease their lifespan...

·
Registered
43 Posts
brinik,

who do you normally talk to at ship wreck marine...i also need my bellos replaced...are there more than one type of bellos on a boat...i know that the rubber boots in the outdrive are called bellos...are there exhaust bellos too? i have an 88 formula that has thru exhaust that runs through the swim platform...

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Mcdougal,

Your boat, same as mine has thru hull exhaust that simply exits into the swim platform. No bellows needed. All that the swim platform does is act like a big expansion chamber effectively quieting the exhaust with very little back pressure. If you look at the underside of the platform you'll see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
43 Posts
damn yankee,

is there any place behind the swim platform that water can get into the boat besides the u-bolts that hold the swim platform to the boat??? i am asking cause i have to have my swim platform fixed and if there is anything else i need to replace while it is off i want to have it done...

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
QUOTE(mcdougal34 @ Jul 7 2003, 01:00 PM)brinik,

who do you normally talk to at ship wreck marine...i also need my bellos replaced...are there more than one type of bellos on a boat...i know that the rubber boots in the outdrive are called bellos...are there exhaust bellos too? i have an 88 formula that has thru exhaust that runs through the swim platform...
ask for joann, tell her Brian Elliott said to give them a call

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I've never had mine off, but that is what I've always assumed. And I don't know what'll it'll take to deal with the thru-hull -- maybe as easy as loosening the hose clamps.

But, I do know that those things way a ton, and instead of fixing them, owners just take them off, put on a cool set of pipes, sometimes a Corsa Quick/Quiet exhaust and bolt ona teak or aluminum light weight swim platform. In fact, I know a boat where it was just done. They even have the old platform out back and I was gonna have a look at it myself. Take a ride down Jefferson in New Baltimore. It's on Riverpoint Drive in New Baltimore. Just south from Sugarbush road. Right there on the corner it's the 30 ft Formula for sale. I don't know the name ofthe place, but here's where it's at:
Formula minus swim platform

1 - 11 of 11 Posts