Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Taking on Water

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  budcouch 
#1 ·
Hi, I just launched my boat on Monday, and had have it hauled out yesterday. It was taking on water, apparently through the exhaust gasket in the transom. My question is this: Is there anything you can do to keep gaskets pliable other than spray them w/ wd40? I'm assuming it dried and cracked over the winter.
Thanks

#2 ·
Is that a volvo outdrive? There was a guy at our old marina that had a 4winns with a Vovlo drive. He always had trouble with the muskrats getting to the rubber parts on it. I can't imagine how they could get to the exhaust bellows though. I have a merc outdrive and the exhaust bellows is inside the outdrive, no exposed parts. I don't have a clue about volvo's though.

#3 ·
No, it's a Merc outdrive, and the gasket IS inside the bellows. They say it's a $5 part, but they need to R&R the engine.... I just want to make sure I am doing what is right for all of the gaskets that are accessable. Nothing like a $5 piece of rubber to keep you out of the water for a while! Thanks for your response. Dave

#8 ·
QUOTE(waxonwaxoff @ Jun 12 2003, 01:03 PM)Hi, I just launched my boat on Monday, and had have it hauled out yesterday. It was taking on water, apparently through the exhaust gasket in the transom. My question is this: Is there anything you can do to keep gaskets pliable other than spray them w/ wd40? I'm assuming it dried and cracked over the winter.
Thanks
Don't use wd40 on anything that you want to remain pliable. Wd40 dries things out. About the only thing I've found it useful for on the boat is shining up the black trim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.