Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Can't help you myself but my good friend Ron owns his own professional detailing company and primarily stripes cars for dealerships in the tri-county area. He also does a lot of boats and other craft. He does very good work. Actually he should probably consider advertising on the site, I'll ask him about that shortly.

FYI: His name is Ron Smida, the company is Quick-Trim and he can be reached here: 248-705-6902.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
If you go to a painters supply store they have a wheel you put on a drill that is kinda like a big eraser that will spin and remove the stripes really easily without damaging your boat. I've used them many times and won't ever use any thing else.
There is a painters supply at 10 and Van ****. I believe the wheel is made by 3M

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
QUOTE(WakinUp @ Jun 6 2003, 08:31 AM)Anybody know the best way to take pinstripping off a boat without damageing the boat??

Rob
Hammer told me that 3M makes a wheel that goes on your drill motor. Made just for this job. Check out there wed site or get a hold of hammer.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I just learned this season... There aren't any easy ways.
Took a few rows off my boat.... started peeling by hand.
Later using a blow dryer - heat releases it better and moves quicker. Then most of the adhesive was left on. Spent a couple evenings going around the boat with Acetone on rags getting that off.... Complete pain in the A$$.
* I think there is an attachment at painter supply for a drill that works pretty well. Hammer said his neighbor did that technique.
Good luck!

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
I don't remember who it was but they has a rubber attachment drill bit, shaped like a ball, and it pulled the tape and all the glue residue off easily and didn't damage the gel coat or fiberglass at all.

Hammer knows who had it. I think he said you can buy the bit at auto shops.

We should start a community boat tool box with pieces like this that you really only need once. Share the tools.

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
There are a few different ways to take these off. First are they paint or tape? Tape is the easiest. You are going to want to use a heat gun and warm the glue as you pull. DO NOT start on a high setting. Start slow until you get a feel for it. Use Acetone to take off the residue but use it sparingly. If they are paint you will have to rub them out. Learn as much as you can about doing this before you take a wheel to your hull. Hope this helps. If you want to hire someone to do it for you, I know of a great place.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I look into finding one of those wheels. I forgot I have JABBERJAWS sitting right next to me I could've just asked him. He told me about it before anyone answered. Thanks for your help

Rob

·
12,052 Posts
Use the drill wheel. Period. If its been on for a while screw the heat gun. Its a fraction of the time.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I used a heatlamp bulb - that heats the stripes enough without overheating. Then I worked them off with a plastic spatula.

There is no "easy" way to do this - it's work and it's time consuming.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(Jason R @ Jun 6 2003, 08:36 AM)If you go to a painters supply store they have a wheel you put on a drill that is kinda like a big eraser that will spin and remove the stripes really easily without damaging your boat. I've used them many times and won't ever use any thing else.
There is a painters supply at 10 and Van ****. I believe the wheel is made by 3M
yes these work great !
this is the way to go.

there is a painters supply in mt clemens too.
south gratiot just south of downtown mt clemens

1 - 12 of 12 Posts