Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of changing our phone service from SBC. Anyone use Talk America's service and what are your opinions???

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
We switched over to "talk america" last year and according to my wife, it was well worth it. We have family & friends up in Gaylord and Petoski and talk to them alot. I think those calls are the same cost as a local call. One of the freebies you get is *69 which is good, but directory assistance calls are always charged. I think sbc gives you 3 or 4 a month free then charge you after that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Been using it for over a year and have cut my bills in half.
How can that be bad? Plus the local zone calls are free, as is all the other features. Do it today you won't be sorry. Keep an eye on their stoct too, I bought it at 69 cents a share and it almost $9.00 now and rising...

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Talk america is great; but the customer service is horrid--ordered a "number blocking" service that worked like crap and didn't block the numbers I wanted blocked and they would not credit me the install price even though they mislead me on the product. But considering how often customer service is actually used, worth the trade off.

Also, I don't believe they do phone lines. You have to already be hooked up to SBC, etc and get switched over. That always makes me wonder what happens if I want a second line or if I have problems with my line.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
My folks have that service.They love it (Mom lives in Vegas Dad lives here) They talk more now than they did when they were married. <_<

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I have the service and I like it.

I have lot's of good stuff to tell you if you want to call me. W. 313.884.7700 or home 586.552.1866.

If you get the service, let me know and I'll get you the sheet that tells you about the services you get and how they work (such as call forwarding, etc.).

You can review your bill online. It's updated daily!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(delsolcruz @ May 2 2003, 10:03 AM)I have the service and I like it.

I have lot's of good stuff to tell you if you want to call me. W. 313.884.7700 or home 586.552.1866.

If you get the service, let me know and I'll get you the sheet that tells you about the services you get and how they work (such as call forwarding, etc.).

You can review your bill online. It's updated daily!
I'll make sure she sees this. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I was a sales rep for Talk America. You can go to the local company's website at italk4less.com

or you can go directly to Talk's website at talk.com

If Talk customers are able to get new customers, Talk would credit the current customer's bill $20. For instance, if you are interested, I can call Talk and have them call you, and then I'll get a discount!

If you decide to switch, just let me know and I'll bring the instructions on how to work all the extras.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(delsolcruz @ May 2 2003, 09:24 AM)I was a sales rep for Talk America. You can go to the local company's website at italk4less.com

or you can go directly to Talk's website at talk.com

If Talk customers are able to get new customers, Talk would credit the current customer's bill $20. For instance, if you are interested, I can call Talk and have them call you, and then I'll get a discount!

If you decide to switch, just let me know and I'll bring the instructions on how to work all the extras.
Okay, I do want to switch. Now can I do it on-line or do I have to call them? I was on their website earlier. Also, I am just thinking of getting the lowest package and what is REALLY the differnece between that one and the middle one? We hardly ever use the phone.....

Also, does my account with SBC automatically get cancelled or do I have to call SBC to cancel their service?

I just noticed you gave me your phone number. Hmm, oh well.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up Boss!!

We switched from Ameritech to MCI. No difference in pricing but I got ticked off when Ameritech switched our plan without telling us.

I pay about $67 a month. It's outrageouus!! Usually the only local toll calls I come across is when I call to Roseville or Pontiac. Gary is the big phone hog. The phone doesn't start ringing until he gets home.

Keep us informed about your switch because I'm sure I would probably get the same plan as you would being that we both live in NB.

If I can save money I would definitely consider the switch.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
There are "pockets" throughout MI where people have Verizon as their local and long distance phone company. Those people cannot switch their local company...however, they can switch their long distance to Talk. There are some places in Macomb County where this applies.

The difference between the plans (it's been awhile, so hopefully everything I say is correct):

$20....limited to 1,000 minutes a month. You can moniter the time you spend on the phone by checking your phone bill via on line, which is updated daily. If you go over your 1,000 minutes, there is a small charge per minute.

$25....unlimited minutes.

$35....unlimited minutes and you can call 313, 246, and 585 for FREE.

All plans offer: All members can talk to other members for FREE. Not sure if there is an unlimited amount of time or if it's limited to 1,000 minutes (not counted towards your 1,000 min limit for $20 plan).

IF YOU USE DIAL-UP for your computer, you may not want to get the $20 plan.

IF YOU HAVE AMERITECH AS YOUR INTERNET SERVICE, YOU CANNOT GET TALK. NOT SURE WHY.

IF YOU GET TALK, YOU NO LONGER GET 3 FREE INFORMATION CALLS. THERE IS A CHARGE FOR EACH INFORMATION CALL. I always use the yellow pages or the Internet to avoid any extra charges.

If you sign up, will you tell them I referred you????? If you will, I'm JULIE VAN DEVEN - 586.552.1866.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(delsolcruz @ May 2 2003, 10:58 AM)There are "pockets" throughout MI where people have Verizon as their local and long distance phone company. Those people cannot switch their local company...however, they can switch their long distance to Talk. There are some places in Macomb County where this applies.

The difference between the plans (it's been awhile, so hopefully everything I say is correct):

$20....limited to 1,000 minutes a month. You can moniter the time you spend on the phone by checking your phone bill via on line, which is updated daily. If you go over your 1,000 minutes, there is a small charge per minute.

$25....unlimited minutes.

$35....unlimited minutes and you can call 313, 246, and 585 for FREE.

All plans offer: All members can talk to other members for FREE. Not sure if there is an unlimited amount of time or if it's limited to 1,000 minutes (not counted towards your 1,000 min limit for $20 plan).

IF YOU USE DIAL-UP for your computer, you may not want to get the $20 plan.

IF YOU HAVE AMERITECH AS YOUR INTERNET SERVICE, YOU CANNOT GET TALK. NOT SURE WHY.

IF YOU GET TALK, YOU NO LONGER GET 3 FREE INFORMATION CALLS. THERE IS A CHARGE FOR EACH INFORMATION CALL. I always use the yellow pages or the Internet to avoid any extra charges.

If you sign up, will you tell them I referred you????? If you will, I'm JULIE VAN DEVEN - 586.552.1866.
I would love to have referred you, but I already did it on-line. They didn't even ask me if I had a referal.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I switched my parents to Talk America, they seem to like it. On the other hand, we decided to switch over to MCI's local service called the neighborhood. It is $49 per month for unlimited calls nationwide (local, local toll, state to state). It includes call waiting, caller id with name, call waiting id, 3 way calling, call back, voicemail, speed dialing, and a few other things. Our bill is $65 per month every month (includes all the taxes and surcharges) every month. Never changes. Our bills used to be at least $150 per month. This was cheaper for us because we do a lot of out of state calling, and Talk America doesn't offer free state to state with their packages. You can find out about it at theneighborhood.com

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I switched to Talk America last September-
I love it- no problems and my phone bills are lower than $40.00 monthly w/ caller-id and I work mostly from home!!

they also pay you to refer people to them- I had a few friends join and rec'd $20.00 off my bill per friend

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
QUOTE(Baby Doll @ May 2 2003, 11:06 AM)Thanks for bringing this up Boss!!

We switched from Ameritech to MCI. No difference in pricing but I got ticked off when Ameritech switched our plan without telling us.

I pay about $67 a month. It's outrageouus!! Usually the only local toll calls I come across is when I call to Roseville or Pontiac. Gary is the big phone hog. The phone doesn't start ringing until he gets home.

Keep us informed about your switch because I'm sure I would probably get the same plan as you would being that we both live in NB.

If I can save money I would definitely consider the switch.

Next she'll be saying i'm a pc hog!

Boss...if you get it let us know...maybe we can piggy back off of you and you'll get 20 dolla.

They someone can piggy off of us and so on and so on and so on....

Wasn't that a commercial?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts