Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I listen to talk radio a lot here at work and this new show on 97.1 FM with the chick and the Gregg Henson from the sports station just sucks.

I can't believe they fired Scott and Casey, they weren't that bad, just like they did to Kramer and Twitch. They need to stick with something good in this time slot.

I don't understand whe Gregg Henson would move from sports to this crappy format on this crappy station, I guess it is owned by the same company as the am station (1270)

I liked Gregg Henson when he was on morning sports, Jamie and Gregg show, "how you guys doing?" "I super, thanks for asking". He was also fine with Art Regner, but this talk show he is doing now sucks.

Finding it hard to find something to listen to other than music in the early afternoons.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
That's why as soon as Howard is done, I usually switch to CDs.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
QUOTEGoose Posted on Oct 30 2003, 09:43 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I listen to talk radio a lot here at work and this new show on 97.1 FM with the chick and the Gregg Henson from the sports station just sucks.

I can't believe they fired Scott and Casey, they weren't that bad, just like they did to Kramer and Twitch. They need to stick with something good in this time slot.

I thought that chick and Gregg were only on for an hour or so, then Scott & Casey come on after that.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(samson @ Oct 30 2003, 10:00 AM)I thought that chick and Gregg were only on for an hour or so, then Scott & Casey come on after that.

Scott and Casey were fired last Friday.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
why were scott and casey fired?? Anyone know?-
I used to always lisen to them...

I also listen to Deminski and Doyle on my way home.. they are pretty good!

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
here ya go...
Program director Henson reportedly on outs at WXYT
October 24, 2003
BY JOHN SMYNTEK
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER
Gregg Henson -- sometimes known as "Triple G" at sports-talk WXYT-AM
(1270) -- appears to be going, going, gone as the station's program
director.
The Free Press learned Thursday that the Infinity Broadcasting-owned
carrier of Tigers, Red Wings and Michigan State games has hired Kevin
Graham from New York's ESPN Radio flagship, WEPN-AM, to replace Henson
as program director. WXYT also carries ESPN programming.
WXYT vice-president and general manager Rich Homberg said "Ask me about
it Friday," when asked about Graham's hiring, which was confirmed by
sources at ESPN's corporate parent, ABC Radio.
Graham is a former Detroiter who worked at WXYT's major competitor,
WDFN-AM (1130), in the mid-'90s and also at the flagship station for
Ohio State sports in Columbus.
He is believed to be an advocate of more traditional, informational
sports-talk coverage, rather than the shoot-from-the-hip,
pull-no-punches, in-your-face style espoused by Henson during his career
here.
Henson was hired away from WDFN in 2002 after almost nine years there in
an attempt to raise WXYT's low ratings.
However, Graham's WEPN -- which mostly carries ESPN's syndicated sports
programming -- has a 0.4 rating in New York, far behind the sports-talk
leader there, WFAN-AM with a 2.2.
Why move Henson now? Two apparent reasons:
Overall, neither Detroit sports talk station scores well in the ratings.
But in Arbitron ratings for the just-completed third quarter, WDFN held
key leads in the advertising-crucial male age 25-54 demographic, most
notably with its "Stoney & Wojo" afternoon drive show. It was fifth
overall with a 5.3, while WXYT's competing "The LockerRoom" was 16th
with a 2.1.
Henson's recent criticism during his 1-4 p.m. weekday show of the Tigers
reportedly alienated the Ilitch organization -- which owns the Tigers
and Wings -- to the point where it reportedly pulled advertising from
all of Detroit's Infinity-owned stations.
Ilitch senior director of communications John Hahn said of the
advertising issue: "I can't speak directly to that . . . but like every
successful business, we occasionally review our expenditures and make
decisions that are in our best interests."
Henson also did not return a phone call Tuesday.
Homberg declined to discuss Henson's future in detail but said he would
not be jobless. Henson might be bound for WKRK-FM (97.1), the
Infinity-owned FM-talk station that carries Lions games this season.
Homberg, who hired Henson for WXYT, now oversees WKRK, where a staff
meeting is set for 3 p.m. today for an unspecified announcement.
JOHN SMYNTEK can be contacted at 313-222-5169 and [email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Goose can you just link right to the thread....I couldn't find it and don't want to spend all day looking for it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Here's my opinion, and it's just that. S & C had the carbon copy format as D & D, which is becoming stale and tired. Casey sounded like kermit the frog, scott was ok I suppose, but all in all the show was on it's way to crash and burn. D & D are ok, they mix it up a bit, incorporating Rudy and Beaver into the show. K & T had some talent (phony calls and such), but they just couldn't capture and keep the audience listening.
According to 3G (Gregg Henson), the Free Press had the story all wrong about how he was let go, so who knows. Michelle Mkcormick(sp) is a 38 year old chatterbox, whom has been in radio quite a while starting in Grand Rapids. She is wity, with a decent radio voice, she might survive WKRK's wrath. Her show, the station at that, was in need of someone to stir the pot a bit, that's where Gregg Henson comes into the picture. He's not afraid to keep it real, which I like. I used to listen to him in 1270, and 1130 as well. You have to admit, if you did sports in Detroit for a decade, wouldn't it be nice to do something new for a change? I would've probably eaten a bullet. Lets face it, the Lions suck, the Tigers suck, the Wings used to suck years ago, The Pistons have been up and down. It would be tiring to listen to bitching fans all the time. I'll give the show a chance, it's too early to tell.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Rerun, can you forward this to Nicole? She was asking about it last night.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
WKRK would be better off sticking with just Howard as a talk format, if you want to call his show that, and drop all the rest - they all suck. I've never heard a topic on D&D after work, for instance, that I could listen to for more than 2 minutes. One sticks in my head - is it gay to carry an umbrella? Who the hell is going to waste time calling to give an opinion on a proposition so asinine and who the hell would sit and listen to an idiot who does? They both sound like nasal-voiced whiners from someplace else, certainly not Detroit, and they're just not entertaining.

Sadly, Howard is a unique personality and there isn't another anything like him. The imitators try to talk loud, or fast, or both, and think that makes them outrageous, missing Howard's appeal completely.

The only thing that would get me to tune to WKRK at other times of day would be a geniunely different music format, cutting edge stuff or local Detroit talent. All other commercial radio falls into the "top whatever" rut, even oldies stations and AM 1580, the music of your life, playing the same stuff over and over, day after day.

I agree with Snowmaker - thank God for CDs.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
yeah goose duece orange juice
i don't care for the chic program either....

the need to bring tom leikus back into normal time instead of 4am, his show was funny as he**

1 - 13 of 13 Posts