Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what you all think of this phenomenon...

Personally I am totally anti-tan all year round... it ages the face like nothing else...

I know many of us are boaters and think "tan makes fat look better" but... I still don't believe that it's an answer.

I always wear sunblock and have youth on my side still... don't need leather face in a few more years...

I have a few friends who worry about being "pale" in the winter... and I just don't think it looks wrong to be pale. I think it looks wrong to be tan in winter.

I'll probably be all alone on this one!

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
while i think a tan is sexy anytime, i find that those who tan like george hamilton during the winter look rediculous. a little color=ok, but deep leathery tan in winter..eu.

i like a little color in my skin at all times, and religiously employ a good self tanner. right now, i do have to say, i am fish belly white! lol!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Sorry I don't have much time to post...Wetbar and I are leaving right now to go to Sunkissed to tan!
Seriously!

In the winter I need some light!! That whole sun deprivation thing! But we're not going to get totally dark tanned or anything.

I love a little color all year long. I turn real tan in the summer even if I barely hit the sun. Always been that way.

But I do worry about years later and looking all old and leathery - but the cosmetic surgery dept is at an all time high so I'm sure they can fix me back up! haha

See ya tonight!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I go high pressure tanning about once a week in the winter and you probably cannot tell because I still look like Powder. I like to have some color so I don't always look like the walking dead.
Trust me, if I could get dark brown I probably would....JK.

I am with you Pauline on the sunblock. Although I do minimal tanning in the winter to get some pigment, I don't want to look like "leather face" in a few years. Kevin is also a big sunblock person because he works outside. I do get worried about him more than myself because he has a few questionable dark spots that he will probably have to get removed. But with us freckly faced people, sometimes you can't tell if it is a freckle or not.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
you know me... I love to have color... i have been good this year though-i have not been to the tanner yet-- it is in my future though. I know you do not like it, but i do feel better when i have a little color... and YES, i feel skinner when i am tan

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I was addicted to the tanner because I worked at a salon . My mom got diagnosed with skin cancer a few years ago, ever since them I am very cautious about sun bathing and fake baking. I have to see a dermatologist every year to check my moles, I had a few removed. I like having some color but the consequences are not worth it for me. I have used self tanner, and will probably use it more in the summer when I am seen in a bathing suit. I will tan when on vacation, if you consider wearing 30+ sunblock tanning. I always seem to still get burned too <_<
I realy don't care anymore if I am pale in the winter, it is natural even though I look pasty...It saves me alot of money too, I can't believe how much it is now to tan at a salon using the high pressure beds

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Hmm....where to start?

I am fair, however I used to be an avid tanner. I used to go several times a week for at least five years, and a bit off and on in there too......wasn't consistent. Heavier in the winter, not so often in the summer I would rather have the outside "natural tan".

My reasons were anything from....makes me look thinner, need the rays for my health, takes away the winter blues (SAD), looks good. My Mom used to jokingly call me Ms. Melanoma.... <_<

It all ended last March when I was diagnosed with a skin cancer spot on my lower back. I had it for two years and ignored it. I was lucky, it didn't go into my "system". If it had I would be dying (there is no cure!). They also removed several other spots that came back "normal".

Haven't gone in the sun without clothing and sunblock for protection and haven't gone to a tanner. Especially because twenty minutes in a tanning bed is equivalent to a whole day at the beach.

NOT WORTH IT!

I have a huge scar now that is sunken in. Ew. How attractive is that? Not at all.

I did alot of research about it since then, and one thing that will also forever turn me away from it is that the bodies natural reaction to protect itself from the harmful rays of the sun is to turn itself tan or that dark red color. Now whenever I see someone who is really tan or very dark red from a day in the "sun" I get nauseous thinking about that. It is your skin crying out for you to stop!

Anywho, for those who choose to tan and always continue to tan that is obviously up to you. I can only relay my personal experience with it. I wouldn't wish what happened to me on anyone

One more thing Estee Lauder Go Bronze is an awesome self tanner and worth the price!

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Hate to admit it, but I do tan at least twice a month. I know, I know, you all thought I was naturally this color all year round <_< , well sorry, not! I do have some tan lines.

However, I do agree, it is very bad for you. I just love that healthy look...however, it may look healthy, I know it is deadly.

I've been contemplating self tanner products. Anyone know of a good one that looks natural?

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
QUOTE(DawnieDawn @ Jan 13 2004, 07:25 PM)Hate to admit it, but I do tan at least twice a month. I know, I know, you all thought I was naturally this color all year round
, well sorry, not! I do have some tan lines.

However, I do agree, it is very bad for you. I just love that healthy look...however, it may look healthy, I know it is deadly.

I've been contemplating self tanner products. Anyone know of a good one that looks natural?
Estee Lauder Go Bronze is great! The also have ones that don't contain bronzer. I use the medium so you would need the deep color.

They are reknown (sp) for their self tanners and well worth the price! Go to Marshall Fields!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I'm guilty of tanning in the winter-
but I have cut back alot since I had to have a mole & 3 cists removed from my face last May- had 10 stitches on my cheek.....non cancerous but did give me a scare-

I also use self tanner's as much as possible and sun block in the summer- but I tan really well regardless.

Mary Kay has Bonzing beads that work really well....I use them instead of blush

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I don`t believe in...Fake-and-Bake....That stuff is dangerous.......Makes you look sixty at 25

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
use a fake tanner lotion in the summer a long with 30 sunscreen , have a tanning bed in basement that we hardly ever use now after reading about all the bad things the sun does to skin.. once in a grat while we use it like just b 4 summer to get a little tan so dont burn as easy..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts