Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Tawas Point State Park

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  tcg 
#1 ·
I got talked into going camping at Tawas Point State Park and I figure I may as well take the boat (210 SeaRay bow rider).

Anything I need to know about boating in that area.

I will probably just be taking the kids tubing and skiing.

Thanks
Matt

#7 ·
Be very careful of the weather. The worst water I have ever been in was on Saginaw Bay! But it is a nice campground and close to many sights on the water and some great fishing. The charity islands area is nice, but can be trecherous. You can approach the big island from the north but swing wide to the north. There is a sand/rock bar there and depending on your draft you may hit it. But with higher water levels the risk is a lot less than in previous years.

Be safe and enjoy!

#8 ·
My family is from East Tawas. We still own my grandparents house a few blocks off off Newman street. My grandparents used to camp at the State Park. I know, not far from their home. But, it was fun as a kid. Make sure you take the tour of the point light house. Some history there. Jerry's marina has a launch. Of course the city dock near the state dock and police post is commonly used. I think it is classified as a DNR launch so if you already have an annual sticker that would be free. Really nice up there. Enjoy.

#9 ·
Thanks guys.

I do not camp. My wife and some of her relatives with small kids convinced me it would be fun. So what the heck. I know I will be in therapy after using public toilets and showers. I am a hotel guy and even that creeps me out.

My trailer has not been on the highway in several years so I will have it all checked out and then decide.

I will definitely take the wife on all the shopping sightseeing type stuff.

Thanks
Matt

#13 ·
F camping

Well with blow up matresses now..............aw never again

Give me a 5th wheel or a motor home, that's camping

#14 ·
QUOTE(fitsus @ Jul 30 2009, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>F camping

Well with blow up matresses now..............aw never again

Give me a 5th wheel or a motor home, that's camping

I'm with ya but this is Michigan and my vacation budget is non existent so I'll give it a shot.

About 16 years ago we decided to go camping in the Smokey Mountains. My wife had childhood memories camping there. We got all the equipment, borrowed and bought, and off we went. We had 2 weeks.

We get to the mountains and I could not believe how cramped and touristy it was. We never put the tent up.

Very long story but we ended up in Jacksonville FL for a couple days with my brother and then Key West for 1 night and then Clear Water in a Hilton on the beach for a week.

That was my last camping trip.

Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.