Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on mounting my first steelhead i catch and was wondering if anyone knows if i need to keep the fish or can i just take pics and measurements? i never had anything mounted and was curious for insight, thx

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
For a real mount, you obviously need to keep it, but for a replica, you need to take some good photos and measure the length and girth. I would recommend Joe Fittante taxidermy....good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The taxidemist will need the fish. Wrap it in newspaper then plastic and freeze if neccessary. I would recommend Lombardos up on 23 mile road. I have had them do a couple of mounts and I am very happy with their work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The best way to keep a fish fresh for a taxidermist to do a skin mount for you is to wrap the fish in a wet towel and then put it in a plastic bag and freeze it. Thefish will stay fresh enough for a skin mount for sevral months if done this way. Good luck getting your first steelhead.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(pirate01 @ Dec 1 2009, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The taxidemist will need the fish. Wrap it in newspaper then plastic and freeze if neccessary. I would recommend Lombardos up on 23 mile road. I have had them do a couple of mounts and I am very happy with their work.

what if i dont want to kill the fish?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
DON'T wrap a fish to be mounted in newspaper.....I could never figure out why my grandfather's salmon had the words "Man lands on moon" printed on it....ha ha

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you dont want to kill the fish then get good length and girth measurements and good photos. The taxidermist will make a replica. I am picking up a replica muskie tomorrow. Xmas present for my Dad. He caught and realesed it 4 years ago. His first and only muskie and the only time he went muskie fishing with us. Funny thing is it is bigger than any I ever got. It was a nice 51 incher about 33 lbs.

·
Registered
654 Posts
QUOTE(ahill4102 @ Dec 1 2009, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The best way to keep a fish fresh for a taxidermist to do a skin mount for you is to wrap the fish in a wet towel and then put it in a plastic bag and freeze it. Thefish will stay fresh enough for a skin mount for sevral months if done this way. Good luck getting your first steelhead.

absolutely works every time,, ps theres nothing like smoked steelhead yum yum

·
Registered
69 Posts
QUOTE(pirate01 @ Dec 1 2009, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would recommend Lombardos up on 23 mile road. I have had them do a couple of mounts and I am very happy with their work.

I used to work there back when I was in high school. Very nice people and they do a great job!

PS: Use the wet towel method.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
QUOTE(StillRob @ Nov 30 2009, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I plan on mounting my first steelhead i catch and was wondering if anyone knows if i need to keep the fish or can i just take pics and measurements? i never had anything mounted and was curious for insight, thx

You might wanna call some of these guys before you go up to see what either route costs. Last i checked, cause I wanted a replica made of a brownie i'd caught, replicas were a bit pricier, perhaps twice as much from some guys. It's the route i had to take in my case, browns were still out of season. But pricing first can also help you make a riverside decision, since you only have so much time after it's caught.

Be careful with the replicas tho, or should I say the taxidermist. Take a look at their work. You don't want to give them a pic of a steelhead and get back a picasso.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.