Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big time!

My house phone rings and I don't make it in time to answer it. So, I check the caller id and it states a California number. My 93 year old Grandmother lives out there with my Aunt & Uncle. Naturally, my heart drops to the floor. I call the number back (w/o verifying if it was them) and it's a freakin' travel agency.....That just totally pi$$ed me off

I've taken all the steps to get rid of them, but once every couple of months I get these stupid travel agencies calling. It's different ones each time. See if I call them when I want to fly out there and see Grandma! They can kiss my @$$!

·
Registered
790 Posts
I agree that the telemarketers are very annoying and getting their calls can be most egregious. But remember that it is better that they are out working and trying to make a few bucks instead of being on the doles. I would rather take an annoying phone call than give up more money taxes.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I know what you mean. They called me yesterday. It said Florida call. I thought it was my Mom so I didn't hesitate picking up the phone. I hear this "Hey Jay, How ya doin?"
I said "not bad" She say's "What's been going on lately? Did you refinance your house like you said you were going to?" I was like wait a minute. Who is this?
Oh this is susan from blah blah financial.
Makes me nuts.Like they are my friends or something.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
I had a carpet cleaning one call earlier. No hello or anything, he just started with his pitch. I just hung up on him.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
i've been getting them to my CELL phone!!! about WEDDINGS!!! grrr! WTF?!

·
LSCN Sponsor
283 Posts
there are two fun ways to play with them...

1. i like to ask them to hold on a sec, then i just set the phone down and go do whatever i was doing. remember they called so they pay for the call.

2. i like to ask them...hey could i get your name and home phone number and i can call you back at dinner time. i like the sound of the click when they hang up on me!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I like to tell them I'm interested in all the crap they want to sell, get them real excited, like they hooked the biggest one ever. Then ask them should I do this before or after your bankruptcy hearing. Click is the only this you'll ever hear from them again.

·
Registered
387 Posts
OK, being an ex-telemarketer back in High School I feel as if I have to add something here.

Your average telemarketer has heard every type of rejection in the world. From angry / hostile phone slammer's to sympathetic seniors living on fixed income. They've heard it all (and I mean ALL).

However, I had a very interesting rejection when I called a number one afternoon. I started the call off introducing myself then started right into the pitch. About half way through my pitch, the lady on the other end of the phone asks if I own, or rent my own home. Not sure what she was doing, I told her that I lived with my father who owned his own home.

She then started going off on some pitch about homes being built before 1980 could have possibly lead contamination in the pipes... blah blah blah... and that her husband could offer his services for a one time low fixed price of only $XX.XX I was in total shock and wasn't sure what to say. She kept pushing me for an address and I finally had to say: "No thank you" and hung up on her. Immediately after hanging up, it dawned on me that I CALLED HER and not vice versa.

These callers are simply trying to make a buck. Sure they work off commission most of the time, but they are also most likely bored as hell. Have fun with them and brighten their day up some. I've got about a 90% success rate at getting telemarketers to actually hang up on ME, not the other way around. It's a big game to them, might as well play along with it and make up some of your own rules for fun!

-Bayley

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had telemarketer call one time trying to sell me a bed. She started going on and on. So finally I ask her, “did you ever have sex on it”? She said “excuse me” I said I wanted to know if it was a good bed to have sex on. She sounded appalled and hung up on me.

·
Registered
481 Posts
QUOTE(Bayley @ Aug 7 2003, 02:04 PM)These callers are simply trying to make a buck. Sure they work off commission most of the time, but they are also most likely bored as hell. Have fun with them and brighten their day up some. I've got about a 90% success rate at getting telemarketers to actually hang up on ME, not the other way around. It's a big game to them, might as well play along with it and make up some of your own rules for fun!

-Bayley
have fun with them? brighten their day? trying to make a buck? there's plenty of ways of making a buck besides being a pain in the a$$ that always seems to call right when we're sitting down together, or better yet, stop me in the middle of doing something only to find out i didnt need to take the call. if i want windows, i'll call wallside, if i want more insurance, i'll call my agent, if i want to refinance, i'll keep an eye on interest rates. oh, and its real considerate of them to make ya say hello five times before they figure out a human picked up the phone only to have my name pronounce incorrectly. thank god for the new do not call list you can register with to stop getting these calls.

www.donotcall.gov

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
captainpeglegg posted on this last week.
i think it is www.donotcall.gov
not sure, it is hidden in the boathouse posts somewhere.
or pm him for the info, you can sighn up on the internet.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eddie.....I've done all that and more! Thanks!

I usually tell them to remove me from their list and we are not interested. I didn't make it to the phone in time to do that
Besides the 60 seconds of wondering if my grandmother was okay they caused me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use to get them alot but if you tell them never to call you and to take you're name off any call list, they have to by law (YEA RIGHT). That helps, or you can just always tell them what ever service they are tring to sell that is what you do. And now they have that list if you give them you're number there not allowed to call you any more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts