Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spotted two times this week. In the mid fifty's. Very light back. Almost white. Extra wide head. Like's Orange Perch Brunner Runner's. Fish is also very deep. It has a big girth.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I spotted a big one today but, it was floating. the biggest muskie that I have seen! we were trolling out in front of the 400 club in 12 ft of water when we trolled near this fish at first I thought that it might still be alive (just recovering from a release) it could not have been dead long (no decomposition) it must have been 35lbs or more
HUGE! I caught a 27 lb 48 in musky last fall that this fish dwarfed. its too bad that it wasn't put on the wall of the guy who fought that fish to death. what a fish
also I caught and release a 46 in musky in the same area
sat at about 3:00 pm. this fish was only 19 lbs. very skinny for a 46 in fish don't you think? It also looked like it had 9 or 10 lamprey scars on it. It was released with no problem.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Reading and hearing of dead Musky floating more and more. Might be due to other casuses than being caught and not released properly. DNR is posting some sightings/reports even before the season began. Hope they figure it out soon.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Those probably weren't lamprey scars. They have that disease that's been previously reported on this site in the muskies on St. Clair (and possibly pike too - we caught several pike this weekend with ugly sore and growths on them?). I believe the first time this disease has been found on a large, natural water population of fish.

We had a whopper mean muskie try to herd my boat into shallow water. Very aggressive. I think it wanted to eat on of us.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The disease in LSC muskie has been identified as Piscirickettsia. According to the DNR it's an "intracellular bacteria, part of an emerging group of pathogens in fish."
"Piscirickettsia salmonis was the first of these types of bacteria to be recognized as a pathogenic agent of fish. It infects a wide range of salmonid fish in fish culture situations (fish farms) in North America, South America and Europe. It has not been previously reported from wild fish, muskellunge, or Great Lakes fish, but contacts in Ontario suggest that Servern Sound muskies (Georgian Bay, Lake Huron) may have exhibited similar external lessions since the mid 1990's."
"MDNR workers began to notice red sores/spots on LSC muskie in 2000. Lesions were in the form of raised, reddish, scabby looking sores, often circular in shape, that varied in diameter from 3mm to 2cm." In 2002 the disease was identified as Piscirickettsia. In the spring of 2003, unusual incidents of dead large muskie were reported by anglers on the Detroit River and Lake St. Clair. The DNR is not sure if the disease played any part in the mortality of these muskies.
There are several reasons for concern. The lack of information about the disease and the unclear history of the disease in LSC muskie. Because of the high abundance of muskie on LSC at the present time, a disease outbreak could indicate a stressed population. There are implications the disease could spread to other species in the Great Lakes, particularly salmon.
The DNR is planning to do sample surveys from five areas of LSC in 2003. A maximum of 30 muskie (20 with lesions and 10 without) will be taken from each of the five regions. The areas of the lake the samples are coming from are near the Thames River, Wapole Island, the Shipping Channel, the Clinton River, and Grassy Island. The DNR is also collecting samples at Michigan Ontario Muskie Club events.
Key considerations:
Tissue samples must be collected from live fish;
sampling is lethal;
Laboratory testing requires lead time of several days to prepare cell tissue lines;
and live fish can be held for 24 hours.

Things that WON"T help:
Panic;
Dropping off dead muskies at the DNR office;
Killing muskies with external lesions.

For more information contact the Mt. Clemens Fisheries Research Station (586) 465-4771

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Saw 2 MONSTERS belly up Saturday, 1 near the 400 club in the fog (pretty fresh, but the gills were eaten), the other was closer to the Detroit River and was dead for a while. Both were 35+ pound class.

Mini

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seen one big one about 30 inches sunday floating at belle river hump and one close to 48 inches at pike creek on the Ontario side both been floating awhile. Its gotta be that musky disease causing it?

SNAGMAN :D

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(SNAGMAN @ Jun 16 2003, 03:07 PM)Seen one big one about 30 inches sunday floating at belle river hump and one close to 48 inches at pike creek on the Ontario side both been floating awhile. Its gotta be that musky disease causing it?

SNAGMAN

No one knows yet. More testing needs to be done.

Contact your local DNR to get more info.

Mini

1 - 9 of 9 Posts