Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I wanted to take a minute to post an update on my Brother Tom's condition. We had a bit of a roller coaster ride for the past few days, but we just got some relatively good news. As before, I'm quoting my sister's note to family and friends. Its kind of long but worth reading:

"Hi there ......here is the latest.....This past Tuesday we received the results of tom's latest CT scan, which was done last friday. The doctor told us then that they found a spot on his liver and thought it may have metastisized there. Needless to say we were devastated. We thought we were on our way to treatment and hopefully recovery, but that really changed things. The doctor then said he needed to have an ultrasound of the liver to see if it was only one spot and to see if it was cancer. He did tell us that there was a slight chance that it was a cyst but he really didnt think so. Also, he ordered an MRI of the brain because Tom has been having some headaches lately and he wanted to see if it had traveled there. We were very upset and scared to death, but decided to hang on to hope and see what the tests showed. Tom had his ultrasound and MRI of the brain today.........I can hardly believe it still but BOTH tests were clear!!!!!!!! The ultrasound did show a spot on the liver but after careful scrutiny, the oncologist and radiologist both agree that it is a cyst and not the cancer.......can you believe it....finally some good news!!!!! Also, the oncologist went over to MRI while they were doing Tom's test and looked at the pictures as they were coming off the screen and feels that it is all clear........I am so very thankful and relieved to hear this.....actually, I am ecstatic

The doctors were all even pleasantly surprised.......they had told us that there was a very slim chance that is was a cyst, but they really didnt think so. They were almost as relieved as we were. They then decided right there to change his treatment plan and to go at it as aggressive as they can before it travels anywhere else.....he is continuing radiation every day (he started yesterday) and he will start his chemo along with that on Monday.......chemo will be once a week for at least three weeks.....it will be a very strong dose in hopes that it really attacks the cancer. The docs seem pretty optimistic now and think that with the treatment they can shrink it all enough for him to have surgery......I feel like someone has been listening to all of our prayers after all. My head is swimming with information and I am exhausted but very happy. Tom is elated and feels like he has a fighting chance now, which is so important as you know......We both couldn't stop smiling and crying at the same time...... Well, I just wanted you to know right away.....keep those prayers coming and thank you for all the encouragement........I will keep you updated....ttys....love ....Sue"

We can't possibly thank everyone enough for the thoughts and prayers!! What blows my mind is the fact that there is an awesome amount of support here at LSCN.... even from people we haven't met!! There is still a long way to go but I believe the prayers are working..... thank you all!!
Dave (aka Raftguy)

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Dave, great news! Glad to hear things are going so well.
Continued support & prayers for your brother & family.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
sounds like some great news to start 2004

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Sorry RGWY I didnt read it all. But Im assuming theres some good news, so good luck to your bro and his long road to recovery.

AMEN

·
Registered
741 Posts
Evil Shot Girl and I just read your thread and are very happy for your brother and family. Totally Awesome!!!

Best wishes for the future also!!!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Thats great, besy wishes.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
it looks like the prayers have been answered - I am so happy for the good news. ANd yes...your brother does have a fighting chance.

Will keep on praying and hoping he makes it through radiation and chemo as comfortably as possible.

Scares the crap out of me the fact that I have smoked for 18 years.
What was I thinking? That I was invincible?

ps. 9 days cigarette FREE. Halleluijah!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts