Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I recently had some boat issues. Was out of the water for 3 weeks. Just got it back on Friday. Dave Blaz and his team took control and got me back in the water. A tip of the LSCN cap to them all for doing a great job. The boat is running great, and maneuvers with much more control with those 4 blade props. Just awesome. The difference from before is like night & day. Smoother take off and I gained 3-4 mph.

Thanks to Dave again for doing a great job.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
I've been anxious to hear how the re-splash went, and about the 4 blade props. So far, you think the 4 blades make a big difference? I've read they provide more lift. Have you notice this? Like, needing less tabs to achieve the same trim?

And yes, Dave and his guys ROCK!

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Overall, everything is better. Take off is smoother, and that mph gain is awesome. I don't feel as guilty when I want to boost up the speed a bit. Now I can run a little faster and keep up with the IO boats a bit better. Will feel the difference when we make the run up to Lexington in a couple weeks. It also seems like I can maneuver quicker and smoother while on plane. Basically I can turn sharper and easier with greater ease on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Glad to hear you're happy with your set up. When the boat is not right, nothing is right. When the boat is right, everything else seems just a little better!

Do me a favor. Try to notice if it seems like you are running with less trim tab. Seems to me that if in fact the 4 blade props provide more lift, it could equate to better fuel economy.

As you know, cruising rpm ranges generally achieve maximum speed by having the trim tabs down. I'm thinking that if some of the effect of the tabs (stern up, bow down) can be achieved by the props rather than drag inducing trim tabs, combined with less slippage of a 4 blade prop, it -could- mean a tangible MPG gain.

Just wondering, as fuel use is the NUMBER ONE inhibitor of boating fun!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Blaz outfitted my boat with 4 blades this year too. Every aspect of performance has improved. Handling at the dock, getting on plane, less rpm than before to run a given speed, and more top end. I'm very happy with my 4 blades.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
I'm waiting to hear from Mr. Blaz on what's wrong with our boat.

Went to get on plane Sunday and the port side engine would not go over 3K RPM at WOT.
Not sure if it's the outdrive or engine. Been having lots of noise shifting and the kill switch on the shift cable has been working a little too well lately.

Crossing fingers for a minor issue.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good luck Stodge. News passes fast. We heard about your boat issues clear out in Muscamoot on Sunday. Hope it is a quick fix? Dave will fix you up.

·
Registered
290 Posts
QUOTE(Jager Dave @ Aug 10 2009, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Blaz outfitted my boat with 4 blades this year too. Every aspect of performance has improved. Handling at the dock, getting on plane, less rpm than before to run a given speed, and more top end. I'm very happy with my 4 blades.
What type of boat? I have a 310 Sundancer with v-drives and I have been considering switching to 4-blade props. Sounds like it's the way to go. I have yet to see anyone with a cruiser complain about switching from 3-blade to 4-blade props.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Stodge @ Aug 11 2009, 08:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm waiting to hear from Mr. Blaz on what's wrong with our boat.

Went to get on plane Sunday and the port side engine would not go over 3K RPM at WOT.
Not sure if it's the outdrive or engine. Been having lots of noise shifting and the kill switch on the shift cable has been working a little too well lately.

Bummer!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too!

QUOTE(blorincz @ Aug 11 2009, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Jager Dave @ Aug 10 2009, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Blaz outfitted my boat with 4 blades this year too. Every aspect of performance has improved. Handling at the dock, getting on plane, less rpm than before to run a given speed, and more top end. I'm very happy with my 4 blades.
What type of boat? I have a 310 Sundancer with v-drives and I have been considering switching to 4-blade props. Sounds like it's the way to go. I have yet to see anyone with a cruiser complain about switching from 3-blade to 4-blade props.

What the hell is the down side??? It can't be all up-side, or they'd be on there from day one.

Is it simply a cost issue?

How much are 4 blade props for at 31 to 33' Sundancer???

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
QUOTE(blorincz @ Aug 11 2009, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Jager Dave @ Aug 10 2009, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Blaz outfitted my boat with 4 blades this year too. Every aspect of performance has improved. Handling at the dock, getting on plane, less rpm than before to run a given speed, and more top end. I'm very happy with my 4 blades.

I've got an 81 Chris Craft Amerosport 332 with 454s and Paragon transmissions and no tunnels. My engines are relatively fresh and almost stock. I'd guess my crankshaft hp to be in the neighborhood of 350 a side. The new dry weight of the boat is 12,000lbs, but given the age and obvious wetness of the hull and stringers, plus gear, fuel, water, and passengers, I'm probably closer to 14,000lbs.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
QUOTE(Away Point @ Aug 11 2009, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Stodge @ Aug 11 2009, 08:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm waiting to hear from Mr. Blaz on what's wrong with our boat.

Bummer!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too!

What the hell is the down side??? It can't be all up-side, or they'd be on there from day one.

A down side was what I kept looking for. I was unsuccessfull in my quest, lol. Oh, and I forgot to mention that my fuel consumption seems to be down a bit too. Its hard to tell for sure since I don't have functional hour meters. It makes sense though since I run the same speed at less rpm. I don't know what they'd cost for your boat. Call Dave and I'm sure he can rattle an approximate price off the top of his head.

·
Registered
146 Posts
A 4 blade propeller give you a better hole shot and tends to lift the stern which keep the bow down. If your boat is bow light, a 4 blade propeller might give you better performance; but you will lose some top end speed but unless you're running a bass boat/SKA boat or something, who cares.

Generally, you can run a 4 blade propeller higher in the water column and it will not blow out in turns as easily as a 3 blade propeller.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Jager Dave @ Aug 11 2009, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A down side was what I kept looking for. I was unsuccessfull in my quest, lol. Oh, and I forgot to mention that my fuel consumption seems to be down a bit too. Its hard to tell for sure since I don't have functional hour meters. It makes sense though since I run the same speed at less rpm. I don't know what they'd cost for your boat. Call Dave and I'm sure he can rattle an approximate price off the top of his head.
Now that's music to my ears!

Rather than gallons per hour, I monitor MPG via the GPS. Any improvement on my consistent 1 MPG would be great!

·
Registered
290 Posts
QUOTE(Away Point @ Aug 11 2009, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What the hell is the down side??? It can't be all up-side, or they'd be on there from day one.

Aside from cost, in some cases you loose top end speed. Depends on the diameter, pitch, cupping, etc. Obviously not a real down side for us with cruisers, as we don't drive around at WOT.

I have a 31 Sundancer and been quoted as much as $2200 for a pair of new nibral props, and as little as $1250 for reconditioned. Bronze is a bit cheaper. Half the people I have talked to say bronze is fine, the other half says only go with nibral. I have nibral now, the stock Sea Ray factory props.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(blorincz @ Aug 11 2009, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Aug 11 2009, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What the hell is the down side??? It can't be all up-side, or they'd be on there from day one.

Aside from cost, in some cases you loose top end speed. Depends on the diameter, pitch, cupping, etc. Obviously not a real down side for us with cruisers, as we don't drive around at WOT.

I have a 31 Sundancer and been quoted as much as $2200 for a pair of new nibral props, and as little as $1250 for reconditioned. Bronze is a bit cheaper. Half the people I have talked to say bronze is fine, the other half says only go with nibral. I have nibral now, the stock Sea Ray factory props.

Thanks, I appreciate hearing your experiences.

As far as cruisers go, I think WOT = Waste of Time! Or treasure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.