Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to say thank you!!!!

I see everyone is standing in judgment based on opinion and as if they were in the shoes of the anglers. I for one know that you did the best you could with what you had to work with. I know you were hired to be the Tournament Director and the whipping post. I want to thank you for being that person. I know that doing your job is the hardest part of any tournament.
I saw you have technical difficulties. You were not the first to have this happen. I remember a couple years ago at Charlevoix that a computer went down. I remember waiting around for the weights to be hand calculated. I believe I remember Paul Sacks who is also a tournament director was passed over at first for making the team. Then they had to refigure the stats and found out he was right. All tournaments have problems. There is the one factor we never have control over and that is human error.
I did not see you frantic about the computer going down or calling someone and expecting them to come to your rescue. I did not see the helplessness you could have been dealing with. I SAW YOU ADAPT AND OVERCOME! I SAW YOU ADJUST TO THE SITUATION AS BEST YOU COULD AND MAKE IT HAPPEN

Then we had the human "I don't care" factor of the people who just go home after the first day. (I myself have done this ) Then who is actually left with the problem? How about the angler for the next day. How about the tournament director having to do the draw over again while he has 250+ anglers waiting anxiously so they can go finish what they need to do and get some sleep. This is not my kind of pressure!

Then there was Doug having to announce over the speaker in the morning "have you found your partner?" Is this not embarrassing to know that there are that many incompetent anglers that we allow on the water with us that can't even set up a time and place to meet one another in the morning? How many teams were there that did this? And yet they are standing in judgment of you?

We all know the chances that we take when we enter these tournaments. We all know the Hail Mary that we try to throw when we make long runs. I have been there. I have broke down, been DQ'd, been almost run over by a poker run etc. My fault, my responsibility, my error.

I have seen rules broken. I have seen some of us carry on like babies when we are caught, I have seen some of us continue and pretend we didn't hear of that rule.

I saw a tournament a couple years ago when there was an explosion of ethyl mercaptan on the Detroit River and people were still calling Doug wanting something to be done for those who could not make it back because the Coast Guard closed the river.
Come on people!!!!!!!

How about we all say thank you to the Phillips family and the staff for the effort that they put forward so that we can do what we love.
How about we step up and be adults and look at the whole picture. While we pass judgment lets remember who we are setting the example for and creating the future for of this annual tournament.

Cliff Blackford

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Very well said Cliff AND refreshing...lol

And once again, thank you Doug, Bernadette and the entire Phillips family for what you do.

Mini

·
Registered
873 Posts
I would like to thank the whole Phillips family !!!!!!! For all that they do within their own trail and all they do outside of it at other events!!!!!

GNT is growing to other towns and people like them are why!!!!!!!!

So I second and third John and Cliff's remarks....

Nick Neves

·
Registered
98 Posts
Doug and Bernadette
Remember you will never please them all, nor will they understand. You will not be the popular as the leader but you will lead! You will not learn without making mistakes, you need not ask for forgiveness for a mistake well learned.....all of us make them or we are not learning.

You can be proud of how your family conducted themselves. The magnitude of this event created some challenges that no one (not even the nay sayers) could of known. You made the best choices with what you had! Next year Bass Pro Shops will be much more prepared to assist with this event. I am a professional and have many employees including Doug. If they all worked as hard as you all, my store would be incredible. My hat is off to you and your support of the federation. Hold you head high my friends........you can be proud of what you did!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts