Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had a great game plan, the motor in my boat was making chocolate milkshakes in the oilpan, so I found a complete motor and outdrive on craigslist for $250.... went out and checked it out, looked to be in good shape so I bought it and brought it home....
Come to find out it's a Volvo BB70 and Aquamatic outdrive, and I have a Volvo AQ130 with a 270 outdrive.... not compatible. So I started searching BB70 online, find out it's from the 50's and 60's, often used as an inboard drive in wooden runabouts, and found a few on eBay going for $2000, so maybe all is not lost.

Cliff's notes:
Bought wrong motor cheap, may make profit, but still don't have a running motor for my boat.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(gregg g @ Jun 14 2009, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well, I had a great game plan, the motor in my boat was making chocolate milkshakes in the oilpan, so I found a complete motor and outdrive on craigslist for $250.... went out and checked it out, looked to be in good shape so I bought it and brought it home....
Come to find out it's a Volvo BB70 and Aquamatic outdrive, and I have a Volvo AQ130 with a 270 outdrive.... not compatible. So I started searching BB70 online, find out it's from the 50's and 60's, often used as an inboard drive in wooden runabouts, and found a few on eBay going for $2000, so maybe all is not lost.

Cliff's notes:
Bought wrong motor cheap, may make profit, but still don't have a running motor for my boat.

I assume that means you found more than a bad head gasket with the original engine.

Welcome to boating!
Prayers sent.

Would be pretty slick if your recent purchase could end up paying for a good chunk of your next purchase!

Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
wow...i'm sooo glad that nothing like that has happened to me

good luck with the repairs...like AP says, "welcome to boating"

i think my 5 minute mistake so far has cost me over the $5k mark...and years of boating

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure if I have a cracked block, but a $250 motor sounded like a good plan.

Can't do anything til next week,I'm within spitting distance of Mexico right now....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts