Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to line up a few buddies to try the Canadian side. I am wondering if it is worth the effort. Do you guys boat, or drive over. I figure it to be about 12-13 miles from Belle Isle to the Belle river hump. That is a bit of a haul if the weather kicks up. Are there any decent spots closer to the border? If any of you guys drive over, where do you lanch from? About the only thing that I know about that side of the lake was what I picked up from Bob Brunners book. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks, BB

·
Registered
103 Posts
Bill,

I do not claim to be a bass fisherman by any means, but last year I went out to the Belle River hump to fish for them critters. Well I couldn't believe the size and number of bass we were able to catch by simply dropping a tube jig over the side. If you haven't fish the hump for bass I would say it is worth a try. Mind you I haven't been out that way this year so I don't kow how they are doing.

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
Bill,

It is deffinatley better to drive your boat over than to trailer over. As long as your boat can hold enough gas to make the run. What kind of boat and motor you have BTW?

Personally I preffer the American water manly because it is close and you dont have to take the pounding of the rough ride back and forth. Not to mention the time and gas lost making such a run.

At times Canadian waters out produce american waters and vice versa....... Canadian fishermen tend to run to the American and side and Americans tend to run to the canandian side..... the grass is aways greener type of thing.

Sometimes water condition are better on the Canadian side at which point a run there is more justified. In most cases the fishing is near equal and the advantages are minimal.

Use your best judgement before making the run. Weather conditions should play a major role in your decision making.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What is it you want to fish for there? I would assume walleye or muskie if your going there. If for either I am sure fishing has been better over there than here so far this year, on the lake at least. As a side benefit, you don't have to put up with all the knuckle heads on that side of the lake like you do here.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Belle River hump is a good spot to go for numbers. It's pretty tough not to catch fish there (although I tried my best to do just that last night). But the size can be hit or miss. Other really good areas are not far from the mouth at Askins (just on the other side of the shipping channel/Peche Island) or Pikes Creek area. Really that entire shorline to the Thames River can be worked is some manner or another. Don't be affriad to try shallow, as this side of the lake tends to fish shallower than the mile roads. If that doesn't work, move out deeper. Look for the typical smallie structure: rock piles, wood, weedlines, weed patches, breaklines, etc. You may need to move around a bit to find them but they are there. Once you lock in you should be good to go.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
...I'm talking about smallies in the post above, which is what I assumed you were looking for. But you know what happens when you assume....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not greedy, I will go after what ever is biting. Usually I am using bass or musky gear. I tend to catch the musky on bass gear and visa-versa. I have a 17ft Lund with a 50 hp Merc. A friend of mine has a 18ft with a 90 hp Merc. I would only boat over with favorable weather conditions. Is is a pain to trailer over there?

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
It is a LONG way around the pond.....

When I get on the lake (which is something I rarely get to do this year) I fish the Canadian side almost exclusively. Less boats, less fisherman....might not be more fish, but it sure is more enjoyable.

Mini

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I'm going to have the Canuck authorities on the look out for you now Mini......

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
When I was younger and living in Pike Creek me and the fellows fished almost exclusively for Pickerel. We would fish mostly out from the dumps and head toward Belle River (loosely). We always wanted to head over to the Yankee side and check out the North Channel area. That area from Pike Creek down produced steady for many years.

Now that I am living on the Yankee side and fishing for Walleye it seems that the area around the dumps, Dalphine, Middle seem good. Musky fishing the mile roads, the dumps and middle lake is ok but the fishing is excellent on the Canuck side. Never fished much years ago for smallies but I have to say the biggest one I got last year was on the U.S. side. I consistently catch smallies on the Canadian side from Pike Creek down.

Is it worth the trip, you betcha. We sometimes forget how good we have it and the Canadian/American sides produce at different time due to many factors. I would advise you to try the Canadian side. The hump, Puce, Beach Grove. Now if the wind would just lay down. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts