Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
QUOTE(MattyGfishing @ Jul 19 2009, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Any one fish for carp, catfish or buffalo in the Clinton. Looks like a good spot for 'em. Any tips or suggestions?

Hi Matty,
Catfish you can get at the Spillway mouth, under the Jefferson Bridge using clumps of crawlers and an ounce or two of sinkers. It is also know as the cutoff canal and ties into the Clinton river. Night fishing is best. Out between the bridge supports is about 9-10 feet of water.

Buffalo you can catch at the end of the point at the Harley ensign DNR public access on South River rd. You can fish the point casting into the Clinton river there and get them as well as Rock Bass, Sheepshead, Catfish, and possibly a Walleye. Worms and Shrimp. Night fishing is best.
You can also catch Buffalo off the point at Metro at dark.

Carp, you can go to Riverbends park at 22 Mile Rd. and Shelby rd.
Go in and walk back towards the bike/walking trail. If you don't know where it is, ask someone and they will tell you. Also I think there is a sign with a map. As you are walking towards the bridge, you will fish to the left of it. Go to the left and fish right there by the trees. about a hundred feet or so to your left. There is a slight bend/turn in the river there and it has a good hole about 8-9 feet deep there. Use about a 2-3 ounce sinker to get you down because of the strong current there. You will want to throw it out about 4 feet from shore, and to your left out in front of the trees. Day fishing works here.

Hope this helps. Caught these fish in these locations myself over the years.

·
Registered
78 Posts
QUOTE(propwash @ Jul 19 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(MattyGfishing @ Jul 19 2009, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Any one fish for carp, catfish or buffalo in the Clinton. Looks like a good spot for 'em. Any tips or suggestions?

Hi Matty,
Catfish you can get at the Spillway mouth, under the Jefferson Bridge using clumps of crawlers and an ounce or two of sinkers. It is also know as the cutoff canal and ties into the Clinton river. Night fishing is best. Out between the bridge supports is about 9-10 feet of water.

Buffalo you can catch at the end of the point at the Harley ensign DNR public access on South River rd. You can fish the point casting into the Clinton river there and get them as well as Rock Bass, Sheepshead, Catfish, and possibly a Walleye. Worms and Shrimp. Night fishing is best.

Go in and walk back towards the bike/walking trail. If you don't know where it is, ask someone and they will tell you. Also I think there is a sign with a map. As you are walking towards the bridge, you will fish to the left of it. Go to the left and fish right there by the trees. about a hundred feet or so to your left. There is a slight bend/turn in the river there and it has a good hole about 8-9 feet deep there. Use about a 2-3 ounce sinker to get you down because of the strong current there. You will want to throw it out about 4 feet from shore, and to your left out in front of the trees. Day fishing works here.

Are the carp monsters that far up the river? I got some big ones around the bridge at brideview, but that's close to the lake.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Propwash that has to be one of the greatest replies to a question I have ever seen, I commend you, I am looking for a two man limit of walleye preferably between 22and 27 inches, dont like to eat the big ones, can ya help me out?roflmao

Oh and welcome to the site Matty, now you know why its the greatest fishing site around. Good luck

·
Registered
406 Posts
QUOTE(propwash @ Jul 19 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Buffalo you can catch at the end of the point at the Harley ensign DNR public access on South River rd. You can fish the point casting into the Clinton river there and get them as well as Rock Bass, Sheepshead, Catfish, and possibly a Walleye. Worms and Shrimp. Night fishing is best.

Can you stick around Harley Ensign and shore fish after they close?. Just wondering about that, cause I'd like to try some night fishing in that area if possible.
TIA

·
Registered
51 Posts
QUOTE(propwash @ Jul 19 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(MattyGfishing @ Jul 19 2009, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Any one fish for carp, catfish or buffalo in the Clinton. Looks like a good spot for 'em. Any tips or suggestions?

Hi Matty,

wheres the jefferson bridge??

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
you can fish the harley all night i always see people by the lighthouse fishing have caught some nice cats there my self as far as walleye go that is in the spring after the spawn

·
Registered
382 Posts
As a kid I lived near the river(west of BridgeView) and was on it daily in the summer. We never did really good fishing the bottom for carp or cats, some of the best results were with frogs as bait but even that was hit or miss, you may want to try chicken livers or stink bait, we mainly drowned nitecrawlers. We once caught an eel on a night line.

We fished a lot for bass with beatle-spins and jitterbugs. Now days if I was to fish the river I would fish the docks and willow trees twitching rubber worms or drop shottin. Good Crappie in the boathouses on small jigs.

Draino

Draino

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
QUOTE(calichris @ Jul 28 2009, 02:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(propwash @ Jul 19 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(MattyGfishing @ Jul 19 2009, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Any one fish for carp, catfish or buffalo in the Clinton. Looks like a good spot for 'em. Any tips or suggestions?

Hi Matty,

wheres the jefferson bridge??

the jefferson bridge is where jefferson crosses the spill way right by crocker launch...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.