Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
I shot it yesterday at about 10;30 hit her at the base of the neck at 40yards. She continued walking around with the arrow sticking out of her like nothing was wrong. Tracked her for about 80 yards until she went in a wheat field that i wasn't allowed in. This sucks i have killed seven deer in my life and have never shot on that i didnt find. I had practice the 40 yard shot alot this year and felt very comfortable shooting it. i shot twice at her the first shot hit a 1.5in tree that i didnt see. I saw the arrow head right toward the shoulder heard a big pop and though i had busted the shoulder but i had split the tree with that one. I hate it that i shot one i didn't get so please i don't need any negative comments jokes are fine but please no bashing. I have never seen or heard of a deer getting shot and just simply walk around like nothing ever happened. This is my fourth with a bow the other three was vital shots and the arrow went all the way through but blood trails wasnt the best i am shooting 100 gr muzzy's this year 2 deer and i shot two last year with mx4's. Are they an broadhead that leaves a better blood trail. oh 3 of the 4 deer i found within 80 yards but the blood trail was light

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Tough break bud. I've heard of deer being shot with arrows stickin out of em before, but most likely she'll be fertilizer. Don't let it get to you. But definitely learn from your shot. Don't let it be worthless.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Oct 12 2009, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Tough break bud. I've heard of deer being shot with arrows stickin out of em before, but most likely she'll be fertilizer. Don't let it get to you. But definitely learn from your shot. Don't let it be worthless.

I have although i feel comfortable shoot at a target at 40 i am going to limit my shot to 25 from now on. I think my arrow lost to much speed at that distance to bust through.

·
Registered
654 Posts
QUOTE(wallysteve @ Oct 12 2009, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Oct 12 2009, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Tough break bud. I've heard of deer being shot with arrows stickin out of em before, but most likely she'll be fertilizer. Don't let it get to you. But definitely learn from your shot. Don't let it be worthless.

I have although i feel comfortable shoot at a target at 40 i am going to limit my shot to 25 from now on. I think my arrow lost to much speed at that distance to bust through.

try to shake it off. practice at 30 and 40yrds even more often , and youll regain your confidence. lots of variables out in the field . youll be just fine

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(DaveS. @ Oct 12 2009, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(wallysteve @ Oct 12 2009, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Oct 12 2009, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Tough break bud. I've heard of deer being shot with arrows stickin out of em before, but most likely she'll be fertilizer. Don't let it get to you. But definitely learn from your shot. Don't let it be worthless.

try to shake it off. practice at 30 and 40yrds even more often , and youll regain your confidence. lots of variables out in the field . youll be just fine

i was in a heavy wooded area next weekend i am going to the corn fields up north again where i will be hunting the fields wich will make for a much easier shot at 40 yards rather than trying to shoot through the woods plus my bow is set at about 55lbs i am going to crank it up to 65-70

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
QUOTE(wallysteve @ Oct 12 2009, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i was in a heavy wooded area next weekend i am going to the corn fields up north again where i will be hunting the fields wich will make for a much easier shot at 40 yards rather than trying to shoot through the woods plus my bow is set at about 55lbs i am going to crank it up to 65-70

better check to make sure the arrows you're using are ok with that poundage. I would suspect you need to upgrade the arrow size to avoid "fish tailing" during the flight.
tough break about the doe, but like f & C said, learn from it

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Top Gun @ Oct 12 2009, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(wallysteve @ Oct 12 2009, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i was in a heavy wooded area next weekend i am going to the corn fields up north again where i will be hunting the fields wich will make for a much easier shot at 40 yards rather than trying to shoot through the woods plus my bow is set at about 55lbs i am going to crank it up to 65-70

better check to make sure the arrows you're using are ok with that poundage. I would suspect you need to upgrade the arrow size to avoid "fish tailing" during the flight.
tough break about the doe, but like f & C said, learn from it

i had gotten the cheapest beman arrows from bp they matched up my draw length plus weight and gave me those arrows last year but your right if i up my poundage i will have to get new arrows i think what happened was i had a 12 in opening between 2 trees to shoot through and as the deer walked through them she stoped instead of continueing to walk like i thought she was causing me to hit her to far forward if she would have still been walking i would of got her in the shoulder or right behind it the other three deer that i have shot the arrow has always blown all the way through so im guessing that i hit the lower neck by the shoulder '' a 11 year old that was with me was the one that said he saw the arrow in its neck'' i wondering if it hit the breast plate and stopped the arrow

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
QUOTE(wallysteve @ Oct 12 2009, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Oct 12 2009, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Tough break bud. I've heard of deer being shot with arrows stickin out of em before, but most likely she'll be fertilizer. Don't let it get to you. But definitely learn from your shot. Don't let it be worthless.

It not only lost speed, it lost it's kinetic energy. Your only shooting 100 grain broadheads, and I'm assuming lightweight shafts too, and couple that with a looooooooooooong shot, it was doomed from the release. you need to get heavier broadheads, and shorten your distance, and don't go beyond your limit.

I have a feeling there is going to be a chit load of deer stuck this year with crossbow bolts, and never recovered.

It's all about kinetic energy. either you have it, or you don't, there is no in between.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I'll tell you what you what come over and shoot with me and Steve and see how you do. i have the area in Roseville and i'm shooting a crossbow come on Big boy. show what you got. i have a target and 30 yards you can shoot. I'd like to meet also so any one PM and see how Grapes dose also

sorry i didn't ask Steve it's up to him when and where

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
i shot spike buck a couple years ago with my muzzloader. this deer after i shot started to walk like i missed. so while im loading a second shot im watching this deer walk off the field just as soon as i got the shot loaded this deer just falls over..thats the strangest thing iv seen

·
Registered
528 Posts
I lost a deer once myself. I shot a doe at 10yrds with a 70lb bow and 125gr broadheads. I shot her back near the last rib. My arrows always blow through even the thickest deer. I swear my arrow didnt burry more than 4-6" into her side and she ran off (Rib slowed/stopped it? not sure what happened, or if I let down before the release and took power off the arrow?). We let her go for 24 hours as it was December and the picked up the blood trail. The blood disappeared after about 600 yards and we never found her. Its part of the game unfortunately. It realy sucks and we all feel bad.

I would also recommend not taking 40yrd shots with 55lbs. That is not enough energy down range for sufficient penetration even if you hit vital areas. A rib could slow/stop an arrow from a bow like that. However, 70lb bows with 125gr broadheads take down elk at 40yrds so you will be better off as mentioned above. A 40yrd shot with a deer is not a problem with a 70lb bow from a probable kill perspective or penetration, but from the variables of the deer reacting.

An arrow from a good average bow travels at roughly 300ft/s. Thats 100 yards per second or ten yards per hundreth of a second. So at ten yards, a deer has .1s to react to hearing the bow release the arrow. At forty yards, the deer has 4 tenths assuming for this scenario that the arrow maintains 300ft/s velocity out to 40yrds, but we know it doesn't, it slows down. 4 tenths, to a deer, is an eternity considering their amazing reflexes. Thats why even at 20-30yrds, a deer appears to "duck" an arrow. Really, its crouching to pre-load its legs to take off and run. It just so happens that to do that, they crouch down enough to go under the arrow. So you can imagine, that at 40yrds, a deer could move significantly in 4 tenths of a second. Sure, they could freeze and the arrow find its mark, but the risk is much greater than at 10-20yrds. For reference, Humans, on average have about a .2-.4 tenth of a second reaction time as well.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(scotts fishing @ Oct 12 2009, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'll tell you what you what come over and shoot with me and Steve and see how you do. i have the area in Roseville and i'm shooting a crossbow come on Big boy. show what you got. i have a target and 30 yards you can shoot. I'd like to meet also so any one PM and see how Grapes dose also

its fine with me but i can't make it until six and only during the week if i am not walleye fishing on the weekends i eithor go to yale or to mecosta county hunting

if i dont get to shoot during the week this week saturday morning after i come in i will switch to th 125's and shoot them

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just wanted to say thanx for not bashing me and just giving me pionter's. I wished i would have been able to go into that wheat field as it was only 80 yards away from where i shot it at and thats where i followed the blood to. In Kentucky where i grew up if you shot a deer legally and it ran on private property and the landowner wouldnt let you go get it they would get a ticket for illegal posession.

·
3,236 Posts
You will probably get another shot at her I doubt she is dead. Neck shot only has 3 kill zones. The jugular, the throat, and the spine. Obviously no spine since she was walking around like nothing happened. Probably not a jugular or throat either since you stated she walked away calmly like nothing happened. A deer is not very calm when it is choking on its own blood or an artery is severed. I agree with grapes on this one your arrow lacked the KE to get the job done at that range since it sounds like a muscle hit but no pass through. Muscle hits will leave a lot of blood at first but once she clots up the trail will disappear. 40 yards is a long shot. Besides KE at that yardage their is also the issue of deer jumping the string, windage, and your own deer fever(a lot different shooting at a live animal versus a target at that range). Every deer I ever lost with a bow was a lesson, and it is these lessons as long as you learn them that make you a pro. Unfortunately by the time we are done learning them most of us will be to old to bow hunt.
Get back out there and finish the job, good luck.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(scotts fishing @ Oct 12 2009, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'll tell you what you what come over and shoot with me and Steve and see how you do. i have the area in Roseville and i'm shooting a crossbow come on Big boy. show what you got. i have a target and 30 yards you can shoot. I'd like to meet also so any one PM and see how Grapes dose also

Hey where's my invite. I see how it is. LOL

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
My bow is now set at 68 pounds and I shoot 125 grain broad heads with 60-75 carbon rebel hunter arrows. I use and have been using spitfire 2" broad heads since they came out and they tear a hole clean through every time I also never shoot past 30 yards. I did miss one deer and that was the arrow not me. The only time I have ever missed one. I did have a spike I had to track for over two miles, but that was my stupidity. I was 13 and got up immediately after shooting him and started the tracking process, bad idea. He ran and ran but he did eventually lie down and give up. I forgot all about that deer till I read the story. It was a clean lung shot and there was blood for a little while but then had to follow tracks good thing he wasn't on a trail or I might have never found him.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
went and shot my bow last night dont know how but it was shooting 8 inches to the left at 40 yards. after adjusting i was shooting a 4in group at 40

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Bottom line is you did your best and no-one should fault you for it. Stuff happens, all you can do is try your best to not get away. If it does , you feel awful and climb back into your stand.
40 yds is a long shot, to long? not up to me to judge! If you've practiced it great, if you're proficient at it, fine. It"s not something I advocate, but something I have done. Can't fault you, can I?
More poundage, heavier tips, better arrows, probably would help. It also means tons more practice.Some of of don't have that much spare time
Everyone spouts the crossbow as the answer, not true, had to switch to one about 11 years ago,Extensive practice, ( 150#draw,310 feet per second,2 power scope,hand crank to limit movement} all that good stuff. You hit a tree or brush you didn't see,arrow is going off track. As with any weapon, we should all check our sights after traveling to our hunting sights.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(EagleLarry @ Oct 15 2009, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bottom line is you did your best and no-one should fault you for it. Stuff happens, all you can do is try your best to not get away. If it does , you feel awful and climb back into your stand.
40 yds is a long shot, to long? not up to me to judge! If you've practiced it great, if you're proficient at it, fine. It"s not something I advocate, but something I have done. Can't fault you, can I?
More poundage, heavier tips, better arrows, probably would help. It also means tons more practice.Some of of don't have that much spare time
Everyone spouts the crossbow as the answer, not true, had to switch to one about 11 years ago,Extensive practice, ( 150#draw,310 feet per second,2 power scope,hand crank to limit movement} all that good stuff. You hit a tree or brush you didn't see,arrow is going off track. As with any weapon, we should all check our sights after traveling to our hunting sights.

i practice the 40 have a shot pattern of 4in but i do believe in the woods i will limit myself to the 30 to be safe

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.