Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a late start and didn't have a line in the water until 8:30 a.m. 2 -3 foot chop all morning. During the rough ride out, one side of the trolling motor mount broke loose. Rigged it up well enough to make one pass along the west end of the dumps. Fished 8:30 - 10:45. Caught 7 fish, 4 walleye (14", 17", 22" & 26"), 2 smallies and a rock bass. Trolled with harnesses and bottom bouncers and a few inline sinkers to vary the depth the harnesses were running. All fish were on the bottom. All but one fish came on chartreuse beads with a gold spinner. The 26" walleye weighed 5-1/2 lbs. The DNR creel survey taker measured and weighed it when we got back to St. Jean. All in all not a bad morning, just wish we could have made a second pass at 'em.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
I too made it out yesterday. Got out around 6:15 and fished until 1:00. We picked up
8 walleye, a 32" musky, a 10lb sheephead (biggest I've ever seen), a 5lb smally and 6
tiny perch that went back to grow. Seas were rough, we got bounced around a lot and
fairly wet when under power. I think that was it for me and walleye fishing St. Clair. It's
time to start chasing salmon on Lake Michigan. Thanks to everyone for all your great threads!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I, too, will be spending much of the next few weeks chasing salmon on the big waters. Surf and pier fishing this coming weekend near the mouths of the Platte and Betsy. Sunday, 8/8, will be fishing a charter out of Arcadia. The captain told me this past week they were getting 6 to 13 fish per trip. In two weeks it should be really hot.
Tight lines.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
"h2o" lives for salmon fishing: The way i do it is pick the best days, go to Port Sanilac Harbor, launch my flat bottom John boat about 4-5 p.m.. electric motor to near the middle of the harbor anchor. Set up a couple of rods with spawn, sit there on guard duty. Than as the sun goes down out comes the Glow in the dark Cleo's, And the 150 foot cast's. I'm all set up with camera flash's, spot light, BIG NET, ect. Nothing like battleing the Kings, Coho's, Brown Trout, and Steelhead in the protected harbor. Good food right there, a bait store. There's been many times i've had the harbor to myself during the week. Enough light there to see rather well. We'll venture out of the harbor in the bigger boats on the nice days troll around and do that. But it's hard to beat the John boat sitting so low to the water, it's kinda like a belly boat. It's easy to just sit there and the fish is doing all it's tricks to try and get free. Being in that boat allows you to just let the fish do what it wants and you don't have to move as all you do is keep the rod tip in the water and the fish goes around the boat. Nothing to get hung up on as they do there tricks to get off. Usually i'll fish to mid-night -- one a.m. depending on action. But what a riot, talk about line ripping, bull doggin, flying , left, right, up, down, spin around. If you never tryed this you can only wonder how fantastic it really is. Anyone wanting to cast for salmon in Sanilac and have any Question's Just howler. You don't need a boat either as the breaker walls are ideal for casting for them. Just a short walk and your there, plenty of parking and food, gas, stores, all the stuff you might want.

h2o<--- end of sept. and oct are best there.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
If you ever want some company H2O, let me know. I love fall salmon fishin'!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Good stuff makowish, I'll get ahold of you when there in there and fishing should be good. I got it down to a science because i've been doing it so long. I'll try and give you as much notice as poss. I'm in Royal Oak. What city are you in.

h2o<--says can't wait that's by far my favorite.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey h2o, don't forget the Ping-A-Tees.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
That's right PWood:--Ping-a-Tees are good, along with Artic Slamers, K.O. Whooplers, A host of lures work. I like the 3/4 oz. Cleo's in Glow-in-the-Dark, Green, Blue, Orange. I put the X-caliber hooks on them and they just don't get off. And man you can cast them a country mile. Not only do they jump all over the harbor but the bumps you get when they swim into your line but not the lure makes you stay awake. Being in the flat bottom John Boat i'm just waiting for one to jump into the boat, I've had them come so close if i was waiting there with a net i would of had them. Many time's have i been splashed from them jumping so close to the boat.

h2o<--can't wait

1 - 9 of 9 Posts