Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed yesterday that the cutoff was completly wide open.

Today is the first day of spring and the boating season is apon us officially.

Let's get charged up people..........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, at least the two of us are?!

Were thinking of the lake, and everyone else is still at the "Boathouse".

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
QUOTE(JABBERJAWZ @ Mar 20 2003, 10:13 AM)Hey I am SUPER pumped up for this season. Count me in!
I am double super pumped. First time on my own boat

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Count me in as well. Cant wait to get her in the water and going. Other than figuring out how to handle the bottom paint (first time dealing with this) she is ready to go in. Everthing else can be done while floating and rocking.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I'm starting to sand my bottom this weekend. Hopefully my marina will turn on the power so I don't have to do it by hand.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(Jason R @ Mar 20 2003, 07:38 PM)I'm starting to sand my bottom this weekend. Hopefully my marina will turn on the power so I don't have to do it by hand.
Sand your bottom.....man you should get better Toilet Paper!......
Just kidding. That sounds like alot of work man. Good luck! I think I am gonna start on my trailer this weekend. Jason, Are you gonna go to Gino's Surf on Saturday?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
QUOTE(Jason R @ Mar 20 2003, 02:38 PM)I'm starting to sand my bottom this weekend. Hopefully my marina will turn on the power so I don't have to do it by hand.
Hello
Any advice about paint. I belive must do this this year. My boat is 26" long.How many gallons I should buy?

Max

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
1 gallon should be plenty.

I always used a palm sander on my bottom but this one old dude was telling me to try drywall sanding screens. He swore they work better.

Haven't had to do it since then.

Wear a respirator, goggles and a tyvek suit. That bottom paint is very toxic!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(TheWiz @ Mar 20 2003, 09:13 PM)1 gallon should be plenty.

I always used a palm sander on my bottom but this one old dude was telling me to try drywall sanding screens. He swore they work better.

Haven't had to do it since then.

Wear a respirator, goggles and a tyvek suit. That bottom paint is very toxic!
Sounds like that old dude might be right. Drywall sanpaper won't get as loaded up with dust and I would agree that it probably would work better.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Thank You for help. One more question . How about the oil change?
The oil looks like new to me but who knows? Do You change oil every year on your boat?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Dimax,
I only average about forty hours a year. Been boating for over thirty years and have gotten picky about the weather. However, I digress. I usually change it every fall before I store it. There are acids that build up in the oil that will etch your bearings if left to sit all winter. Not sure what the manufacturer recommends but it would certainly be worth investigating. Remember that boat engines run at higher RPMs than car engines and the oil wears out faster. The more hours, the harder you run it, the more often you need to change the oil.

Storm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Trust me.....change your oil every year.

I have a big block 502 and it is nutorious for burning oil. (They say it's typical). But, anyway check your oil before you go out EVERY trip. Big block or no big block.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Thank You for help

I will change my oil and paint bottom , but what I should to more before
taking my boat on water. May be this is stupid question but this is my first boat
so I don't want screw myself .

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Anyone take a look at the water level chart lately, LSC Water Level. After a dip, it is shooting straight up. Keep the rain coming and we may passs the mean average by sunday.

Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I still predict better levels than last year. Somewhere on this board I made that prediction a few months ago.

Who knows....maybe Gull will become a 3 acre island instead of 4?
Just a joke there.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Put a good coat of wax on before launch. The summer sun will beat up your finish if you don't protect it.

If the previous owner took out the drain plugs on the engine block to winterize, don't forget to put them back in. At least check to make sure they are tight.

Check seacocks on through hull fittings to make sure they're open.

Check the Carb. Some people put plastic over the carb when they winterize to keep moisture out.

Check your zinc anodes, change them if they look warn out.

Don't forget to put your drain plug in before launch.

Charge your batteries.

Make sure you have enough life jackets for everyone you plan to have aboard.

Make sure you have a throwable.

Check your fire extinguisher(s)

Keep a second anchor on your boat, sized properly for your boat! It's amazing how many people think they can get away with one anchor. They'll throw it out, then vacate their boat to go party on the island or walk through the line up in the moot. Then the wind will change directions and their boat will swing around.

I came real close to cutting loose a brand new 40 foot SeaRay Express Bridge at the Jobbie party a couple years ago. The a$$hole comes late, throws one anchor out and leaves his boat. About an hour later the wind changed. We had 4 guys holding his boat off while we totally resituated our raft of boats.

Then when the guy and his wife came back we let them hear it a bit. The b!tch, says "Oh did we hurt your little boats?"

I tell ya, the guy is lucky he didn't look back, he just started up and high tailed it out of there. I was ready to go over and put a smack down on the both of them!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts