Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was diggin thru info about my great grandfathers company (huetteman & cramer co.) in detrot and seen a lot of board members had the Old Club listed with there names. then decided to see what I could find on the history of the old club and found that tom cleaver wasnt the first to try and stake a claim...and it takes a senator or better to makes things happen....

1942 - the Club had grown to 52 members. Our first attempt to establish our own facility was made in 1945. Chris Matthews, who was a State Senator received permission from U.S. Corp of Engineers and Dept. of Natural Resources to build a landing dock on what we called Government Island which is South of the Old Club on the South Channel. Wallace S. Gerlach made arrangements with Albert Trombly from St. Clair Shores to construct a dock on the North end of the Island.
1945 - Trombly assembled all the necessary material on a ake-shift barge and started at the foot of 9 Mile Road towed with a 24' Chris Craft. Several miles off shore one of those unexpected storms usual for Lake St. Clair came up. The barge was lost after pulling out the cleats on the tow boat. It ended up on shore near 12 Mile Road. The next day the barge was picked up and finally made it to the Old Club. During the next week Trombly and one of his sons erected the docks, driving the piles by hand. It was
soon found that any and all boats were using the docks, other than Clinton River Boat Club members. During the winter the ice wrecked the dock and that ended the first attempt. Some other highlights were the meetings at Gowanie Golf Club. Arrangements were made with Alex MacDonald, the manager, to hold all meetings and parties at Gowanie.

more here...
http://clubisland.org/?q=node/10

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hmmm unless there were talking about Seaway? but thats a much larger island and probably would have been described as east of the club?

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Jun 17 2009, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hmmm unless there were talking about Seaway? but thats a much larger island and probably would have been described as east of the club?
It must be Gull, as wouldn't Seaway at that point be in Canada? Or has the boarder changed???

Interesting.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Was gull island even there in the 1940s? When was that cut built?

I should know this. I have a book on the flats that has the history of the channels and all the surveying and claims on harsens and in the flats.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Interesting that the Clinton River Boat Club and the Old Club are two different entities....

And yes the majority of Seaway Island is in Canada. Not sure what year it was created (from dredge material constructing the Cut Off Canal).

I beleive Gull came first though.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
unless there talking about the last little sliver of harsens called "the hook"? which is technically an island right if you look at google earth but if the waters low im sure its not. but i would also think that's not described out seperate from harsens island property lines.\

so yeah i'm still thinking they talking about gull.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Here is a picture of what I beleive is Gull/Govt. Island on May 8, 1956. That is the earliest one I could find. I think there are some from 1949, but I can't get them pulled up right now.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow, figure in another 30-40 years Gull will be all washed away.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
SeawayIsland is what's left of a former land mass (extending from the junction of the present Shipping Channel, aka St Clair Cut-off, dug in the 1930s and the Old South Channel to Gull Island), marshes, and shallows that had the St Clair Flats Canal dug through it's western end. Dredging the SC Flats canal changed the far western tip of Seaway Island and essentially separated it's western extremity (now Gull Isl.) from the rest of the land mass.

Here's an article on it's construction... St Clair Flats Canal article

The SC Flats canal was completed a number of years after the Civil War ended and dregdings from the construction of that canal (Now between Gull & Seaway) formed new land both at the tip of Seaway Island and what is now Gull Island in the effort to straighten out and deepen the main commericial navigation channel for what were becoming larger, deeper, and more unwieldy freighters. If you boat near the end of Seaway Island and across from Gull, you'll see many old wooden piles from the old canal. There were Lighthouses marking the entrance at one time. (NOT the range lights still visible today near the entrance to the Old South Channel, a twisty, narrow, and shallow entrance for commerical shipping of the time, now silted-in to a great extent).

The other end of Seaway Island, to the north, was separated from the Canadian Islands and land masses to the east by the St Clair Cut-off canal, dredged in the mid to late 1930s. The dregdings from that were mostly deposited on what is now Seaway Island (so-named due to it's creation by the Seaway), changing the shape of it's eastern side. This dredging included deepening the channel where needed, clear across Lake St Clair and up-stream to lake Huron, to a minimum depth of 27 ft for modern freighters. Similar action was taken in the Detroit River where needed. Dredging "spoils" (sand and muck) are dumped in a number of locations... over the years, Seaway Island was a major dumping site and there were numerous dredge "pump-outs" along the North and Middle Channels (only one is active today, that I know of, on the Middle Channel)

The original channel favored by commercial shipping in LSC early years was the North Channel... that changed over the years as ships got bigger and the economy of dredging the existing Old South Channel became more apparent vs dredging Anchor Bay. Once ship drafts reached the 8 foot level, the NC no longer made commercial sense to maintain.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(TheParamour @ Jun 17 2009, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here's one of those lighthouses in 1904.
That's an awesome photo. The land around it looks lots bigger.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Jun 17 2009, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>read the "variety" section in the article above....

Capn Ken, very interesting! Always occurs to me if something like that were proposed today, it could never happen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts