Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's everybody's experience with making the "Monster Mile" run (a.k.a. Detroit between the Ren Center and the Ambassidor Bridge)? I've done it twice in the past, and coming back in the afternoon was pure hell. The worst ride I've every had.

I''ve got a tourney out of one of the launches down on Erie. It's a points series, so I'm just looking for a limit. I'm think of quickly runing up the St. Clair, getting a limit, and heading back before the big boat get out around 9 am or 10 am. Any opinions?

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
I've made that run the opposite way a few times. From St. Clair to Erie.....

I think it really depends the boat and the boater. I for one don't have a problem with running, others do.

I honestly feel your best bet is staying put on the River and Erie. The quality of fish is better on Erie than St. Clair.

I understand your train of thought and that you just want your limit. However keep in mind the fishing time that your loosing. I personaly would rather take that time and put it in the water on Erie.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree. You should just bob around the launch area until the winds subside and then run the North shore. I will let you know how the weigh-in goes when you get back in from Colchester around 7pm.

George T

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, I was'nt asking for any opions from you two.

I should not have to worry about 5-7 footers, since the forecast is only calling for 4's. We all know that the forecast is never wrong.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bassabductor, I made that run this past weekend and it was brutal. The big boats made it a real punishment. My back is still hurting. And if there are any races scheduled, it makes for long no wake zone. Races should only be on the weekend if you make it that far. There are more than enough bass on the North shore to get a limit. I seen bass caught from 5 feet to 15+ this past weekend. Good Luck!
John

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I always add the numbers together in the forecast to get the 'real' forecast: 10 to 20 mph winds = 30 mph winds actual.

Waves 1 to 3 feet means waves = 4 feet. It works for me.

As far as wind direction, 60% of the time I just figure it will actually blow out of the direction I least want for that weekend, unless I'm at Saginaw Bay. Then it goes up to 90% likelihood.

The Monster Mile is meanest in a strong South wind on a sunny weekend afternoon. My two easiest afternoon runs back through there ever on a weekend though have been when they had the races behind Belle Isle. I think all the tuna boats were behind the island watching the race. If you run in early in the day without a strong South or West wind, it's not that bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts