Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Vendor
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share this photo that one of my casting map customers recently sent me. It was caught 6/27/09 and was pushing 35lbs. Look at the girth on this fish! I just cant beleive the increase in girth in the last 3 years let alone this year especially. Five years ago a 50-53" musky was long and narrow. Then last year Bob Brunner and I were talking about the girths and started looking at last years photos compared to 5-6 years prior and you could see a steady increase in weight/girth. Amazing, if this keeps up I cant imagine what the fishery will be like in 5 more years. And the crowds will come! I might have to move back lol.
Theres probably a number of factors. Some say that its the high calorie whitefish population returning. However, I dont think they are repopulating as fast as the weight of the these fish is increasing. Id think more that since it takes 12-20 years for a musky to mature to trophy size that its more related to management, habitat quality, and catch and release. It was 15-20 years that that pollution control really got underway, catch and release started to be practiced, and the zebra mussels showed up clarifying the water. Overall I think these bigger fish are a result of the first generation of musky to fully benefit for their entire life span the quality that this lake has returned to. Now jsut think what this musky will be like at the end of November

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
Steve,

I really wanted to let you know how helpful your map has been for me. The guy in the picture above and I went out on one of your prime spots and in less than one hour he hooked into this beast. It is a beautiful fish and she swam away well and was in good shape when we released her. I will continue to use your map as I explore LSC and thanks again because it has really shortened the learning curve for me.

Chivo,

You may want to read this link about what muskies actually eat:
http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/article.asp?aid=1086

·
Registered
333 Posts
QUOTE(muskie_caster @ Jul 16 2009, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Now jsut think what this musky will be like at the end of November

And I hope to catch her again when the time comes!
Thanks, Steve for putting those maps together. Even bigger thanks to Ed (Edalz) for opening the back of the boat up for me!

·
Registered
117 Posts
QUOTE(edalz @ Jul 16 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Steve,

I really wanted to let you know how helpful your map has been for me. The guy in the picture above and I went out on one of your prime spots and in less than one hour he hooked into this beast. It is a beautiful fish and she swam away well and was in good shape when we released her. I will continue to use your map as I explore LSC and thanks again because it has really shortened the learning curve for me.

Chivo,

I would think they'd eat whatever they can find. I catch a lot of bass scarred with unmistakable musky or pike teeth and see them follow a hooked SM right up to the boat.

Where can I get one of these maps? For sale?

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Nice fish indeed!

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
I don't believe that people are asked to read reports and they still make stupid statements about Muskie eating all the Walleye and Perch. For you Bass Guys I have been told by the DNR fishery personel that they have never found a Bass in a Muskie stomach. So how are they eating them???

The Walleye would have a better chance if they put the closed season back on them for their Spring spawning season. The one that didn't open until May the 15th. That way the April spawners would have a chance to drop their eggs. Look in the mirror before you blame a poor fish that has the smallest population and any other fish in the lake.

I'm quoting a fact I'm not venting at anyone person.

Good Fishing All. Bob

Tip Let it Go Let it Grow

·
Registered
526 Posts
QUOTE(mwizniki @ Jul 17 2009, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(edalz @ Jul 16 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Steve,

Chivo,

I would think they'd eat whatever they can find. I catch a lot of bass scarred with unmistakable musky or pike teeth and see them follow a hooked SM right up to the boat.

Where can I get one of these maps? For sale?

Click on this link to buy the map and I really think it is a good deal.
http://lakestclairmusky.com/musky_maps_information.html

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Oh, geez, I hope not another thread in which some of the less educated walleye, perch, and bass fishers blame the 'skis. Plenty of muskies in the DR, and the walleyes are doing just fine. Much better than just fine! I caught a beautiful, fat 29 inch 'eye casting from shore the 4th time I fished the DR. Blame the zebra mussels for the migration of the light-sensitive walleyes from LSC ... and the fantastic smallie and esox (both musky and pike) fishing!

Any people complaining about muskies eating bass are on crack (rolling eyes so hard I'm getting a headache). The smallie fishery in LSC might just be the best anywhere ever since people have been keeping records! When I was a kid I couldn't imagine a smallie fishery in which it would be a lousy day if you don't get an 18 incher and a dozen or more strikes. "Up north" can't touch it!

The 'eyes have mostly moved to the deeper water. There are still some good perch reports, and the size of the perch being caught is great for such a warm, shallow lake (which it might not be if they were overpopulated). I caught a smallish (18 inch) 'eye at the shipping channel drop-off just north of the DR last trip on a musky lure. Deeper water....

And quite frankly, good walleye, perch, and bass venues are a dime a dozen compared to world-class musky fisheries! We are so very lucky!

Speaking of which, beautiful musky, muskie caster!

I've noticed even the dinks are right chunky. Barring some unforeseeen disaster, we're looking at an incredible musky fishery in about 2020....
><{{{{{{{{{{*>

·
Registered
526 Posts
QUOTE(gimmeteeth @ Jul 18 2009, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oh, geez, I hope not another thread in which some of the less educated walleye, perch, and bass fishers blame the 'skis. Plenty of muskies in the DR, and the walleyes are doing just fine. Much better than just fine! blame the zebra mussels for the disappearance of the light-sensitive walleyes ... and the fantastic smallie and esox (both musky and pike) fishing!

Any people complaining about muskies eating bass are on crack (rolling eyes so hard I'm getting a headache). The smallie fishery in LSC might just be the best anywhere ever since people have been keeping records! When I was a kid I couldn't imagine a smallie fishery in which it would be a lousy day if you don't get an 18 incher and a dozen or more strikes. "Up north" can't touch it!

The 'eyes have mostly moved to the deeper water. There are still some good perch reports, and the size of the perch being caught is great for such a warm, shallow lake (which it might not be if they were overpopulated). I caught a smallish (18 inch) 'eye at the shipping channel drop-off just north of the DR last trip on a musky lure. Deeper water....

And quite frankly, good walleye, perch, and bass venues are a dime a dozen compared to world-class musky fisheries! We are so very lucky!
><{{{{{{{{{{*>

Well said!

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Very well said.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Agreed. Well said all you defending muskie. I saw a bass guy at the ram the other day whom I don't know. He was from Ohio. He saw my muskie decals on my truck and boat and asked if I was headed out for muskie. Uh yeah I told him. He instanly got all pissy. "You should kill every single one of those things you catch and this lake would be a much healthier lake! And that's fact! The DNR says so!" He hinted that he kills everyone he catches, legal or not.

Some people just hate them because they don't understand. Some people hate them because their species of choice isn't the #1 draw to the lake anymore. Some people hate them because they can't hate themselves for overfishing and excessive catch limits.

And before you get upset, this isn't towards you Chivo, so don't even go there. This is for ALL of the guys that hate muskie and blame them for any other fish decline. This is for the guy from Ohio who wanted me to kill them.

Muskie eat other fish. They do. And they will follow a hooked fish to the boat. That's their instinct to track and prey on wounded/injured/stressed fish, no matter the species. There's countless accounts of muskie eating other hooked muskie, so it's not them "eating" bass. They're just after a distressed fish that makes for an easy meal.

Walleye make up 3.4% of their diet. Wow! I'm surprised there's any walleye left.

They do eat perch....but everything eats perch. Before we blame muskie for perch numbers let's look at bass and walleye who exist is much higher numbers in this lake and eat plenty of perch themselves.

But back on topic, that's a great fish story guys. Nice big fat slob, and it's cool that Steve is still putting people on fish even after he's left the state!!!! Now that's a guide!

Steve...I need to call you....

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Esoxfly. They either don't understand or don't want to. I'd be willing to bet that if there was a way to prove it that Walleye eat more Walleye than Muskie ever did or could. Your right about Bass. Counting the game fish if you include Walleye they have one of the biggest population in the lake along with Bass. They are #1 and 2 beyond a doubt. I just wish they would read the reports. Of course we all know some of them just like to create havoc on the site. God Bless them all even me.
As far as Pan Fish it is more than likely Rock Bass followed by Perch. There have to be millions of Perch. Someone posted a few days ago about the clean water moving the Walleye deeper. Here is a way to catch Walleye in clear water. Go into the heaviest weed bed you can find and Jig them out as they are there.

Good fishing. Bob

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I never thought you were talking about me Jeff. I was just ribbing to begin with. (refer to the smiley in my post) HOWEVER, no one can tell me that these giant musky dont eat a ton of perch. It's nature. Also, none of the guys I have fished with take more than their limit while walleye fishing. This includes Timeye and Junkie, who a certain (former)member likes to try to tell everyone he speaks to!! I dont hate muskies, as I have stated before. I certainly wouldnt kill one if I caught one. Unless it was a legal trophy(which is MY right to do so). If I was to catch a monster, I'm sure I would be all geeked up. I've never even boated a little one, so who knows.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
1st--Steve, NICE FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW. I think we are all in for a treat this Fall. I have never seen so many FAT Musky during the Summer (even though it's been a little late with the season), but still....the anticipation is off the wall for the Fall.

2nd--Blaming Musky for diminishing any species in our Great Lakes water system, is f'n dumb. It's as dumb as someone who is obsessed with bird watching,etc, and wanting all Hawks and Eagles to be killed, because they might eat their precious song birds. But you would NEVER see someone wish for a Bird of Prey to die, while in their position........why? lol because that's the nature of the beast and they give respect to all the animals related to their passion.

If you're going to hate, HATE THE GOBBIES FOR EATING EGGS OUT OF ALL THE NESTS. That was one of the main issues with the Gobbies when they arrived...they were going to eat all the Perch eggs. No Perch can defend against 9 Gobbies coming in to feed.

Save a Musky--KILL A GOBY lol They are the real issue with any decline of any fish in our water system.

Ok, done lol

PS...them all just my's opinion's

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.