Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I be blind

I felt dumb when I tell people we are going to set a world record, and I boat 3 to 4 days a week and can't find a sign or flyer posted

Where are the flyers

1 Boat Ramps
2 Boat Us bulliten Boards
3 Gas Docks
4 Marina polls
5 Metro Beach
6 DNR launch
7 Bumpers
8 On the poles leading to the docks at all marinas

If you noticed the moot was empty on Sat.

ask youself why? it was 80 and sunny right

yes 80 & sunny

The weather man said cloudy and 70 and lots of people stayed home.

If it is going to be cloudy people make other plans
So if you are going to plan a worlds record people need to plan ahead. I tell my crew I'm going unless other wise stated.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Here is flyer url

I've been posting flyers for the last couple of months....Not sure if any were taken down...hopefully not.

Metro sucks...they won't let you put up anything, including for sale signs on your own boat <_<

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(captpeglegg @ Aug 3 2004, 04:38 PM)Could I be blind

I felt dumb when I tell people we are going to set a world record, and I boat 3 to 4 days a week and can't find a sign or flyer posted

Where are the flyers

1 Boat Ramps
2 Boat Us bulliten Boards
3 Gas Docks
4 Marina polls
5 Metro Beach
6 DNR launch
7 Bumpers
8 On the poles leading to the docks at all marinas

If you noticed the moot was empty on Sat.

ask youself why? it was 80 and sunny right

yes 80 & sunny

The weather man said cloudy and 70 and lots of people stayed home.

If it is going to be cloudy people make other plans
So if you are going to plan a worlds record people need to plan ahead. I tell my crew I'm going unless other wise stated.
To be honest with you Pegleg,

Tango and crew have started threads in the boathouse asking for LSCN member support to pin up raft fliers, so if they are not there, then we hav ourselves to blame. Tango, Bikinigirl, Goose and Fitchick can not do it alone. I know not everyone can pitch in a ton of time (I knew I coudn't), but if every member put in a little bit of effort, we could help out a ton.

From what I had seen, more LSCN support at the Gino's surf party would have helped too. I only saw maybe 20 LSCNers.

Just my .02

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
pegleg, it takes a LOT of help/participation for an event to go off, and the size of this one is VERY overwhelming. they have done their best to get the word out with what they have/can do. a lot of members have helped and are helping, but for something of this magnatude it may seem like it's not enough.

rather than criticize them, how about saying 'hey! gimme some flyers and i'll pass em out and help you get the word out.'

believe me, at this point with all the work they've put into it may be a total kick to their efforts to see a post like this. i'm sure you didn't mean any harm, but that's just my .02.

so with that being said & anything else aside, i have a limo wed nite to promote my mansion party. i'll be more than happy to print up some flyers and help get the word out. i'll be hitting the nauti mile (and locker room;) ) so i'll be around boaters.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It wasn't my intent be mean but at the moot flyers could have been handed out and when boats return to port they could be put around the poles with rubber bands If you goto the moot you have to go home and everyone goes in different directions and that would cover everything from Port Horon to Canada with the greatest of easy

I'm not out to hurt the party but promote it.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
We have not only posted flyers along with numerous other members, we have had news articles written, radio ads, banners flying....hey what about the raft stickers you could've purchased ......I know there are a few members that have them on thier vehicles...it's on float plans for the ABYA( thank you Hammer) It's on the GPYC & DYC float plans.
Water Warriors are also advertising it for us along with Gino's Surf, Mike's Marine, Shipwreck Marine, Sundog Marine, Bumpers, and numerous other establishments. and word of mouth.

Not sure of all the places that have a flyer up but I know there have been quite a few members and outside volunteers that have not only posted it but put it out in emails.

Unfortunately we have been paying for most of this out of our own pockets..not to many donations.

SOooo if you would like to staple a few more up feel free I believe the url is in threecrabs post above.

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
Thanx for your 2 cents pegleg. I will file it with you showing up to the raft meetings. Or it could be filed with you showing up in the moot where z-man has been talking about it. If you don’t want it there I could put it with the $3000.00 we lost on the Gino’s party you came to, or the three radio stations that are talking about it or how about with the 56 reams of paper that was used to print the flyers. I would file it with the Coast Guard training I was forced to take before they approved the permit but you brother showed up for those. Thanx again for volunteering and all your hard work at spreading the word.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hi there ... just my two cents ...

I work in Marketing for a major Cndn company, and if I were in SE Michigan, I, fer shur, would be doing some pro bono work for this! Between Milord and me, we have secured all seven Canadian boats, so we have lined up 100% participation from our side of the border (j/k). Despite the naysaying, Tango 7; Goose - you and your posse you should be really acknowledged, thanked, and congratulated for your hard work thus far.

Onto my promo idea ... seems like Chopper 2 (and their competitors) are always looking for some JN visuals, and the annual summer story about Michigan boaters are using their powers for evil. How about going across to them with a press release / media invite to A. talk up the event prior to and B. get visuals the day of?! CK - I'm sure you are way ahead of me here?

It seems that there is always the negative press spin to the Gull Island story -- how about going to the Detroit electronic media to give us (and them) a shot a redemption, cuz basically you are looking at the same community doing something which may be viewed as 180 degrees from the JN weekend?

Besides, every news director likes compelling visuals -- and if looking at the aerial shots from Lake Norman last weekend is any indication, they will definitely have them.

As I said, just my thoughts, and I am sure that someone might be already on this ...

Scott.

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
I'm partying this evening with the heads of the ABYA, the coordinating group for all the area boating organizations. There are MANY boats coming from EVERY YACHT CLUB in the area. This thing is HUGE! It's the biggest coordination of boats that Lake St. Clair has ever seen!! All of our cell phones have been ringing all evening asking about this event. When to be there, who to look for, how to get hooked up, etc.....

The biggest effort at the bay that I can imagine is all the peeps on dingy's pulling all the boats together.

You guys are setting records on MANY LEVELS!! TOO KEWL!!

·
12,052 Posts
Honestly I have been dissappointed on not seeing any flyers either. I put one up at beacon cove at the gas dock, but should have done it WAY earlier. As many LSCNr's that are there I am surprised there wasn't one there already. Like Pegleg said WE should have been putting them up at ALL OUR Marina's a long time ago.

I am shocked at how many people I ask if they are going to 'the raft' and they say "what's that?"

I'm also dissappointed at HOW MANY people wont go there because they want NOTHING to do with 'z'man.

I'm doing my best physically and financially, but to break this huge record we need all the help we can get.

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Aug 3 2004, 10:18 PM)I'm also dissappointed at HOW MANY people wont go there because they want NOTHING to do with 'z'man.
We got this alot as well. Zman is going to rock this event. There is no other person i can think of that could do it any better. He knows it is PG-13 and has said he will tone it down. After 4:00 I hope the zman we all know and love will get us back in the grove for the night.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I usually use the West Marine on Rochester/Big Beaver, but went to Boat US tonight to put up a flyer

I will say from past experience if you put flyers up too early someone usually ends up pulling it down or they disappear.

There is only so much one can do and that is to the best of his/her ability. I think there has been a SUPER effort by all those involved. I'm just sorry I have not been there with them. they will be the ones glowing Saturday afternoon after we beat the record.

On a side note.....This is a family event and I believe if we start the rated R party at 4:01 it will scare away anybody in the future. I think we can all behave for one afternoon. It's for a great cause...The adult party can always start after dark

Peace out!

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Aug 3 2004, 10:58 PM)I usually use the West Marine on Rochester/Big Beaver, but went to Boat US tonight to put up a flyer

I will say from past experience if you put flyers up too early someone usually ends up pulling it down or they disappear.

There is only so much one can do and that is to the best of his/her ability. I think there has been a SUPER effort by all those involved. I'm just sorry I have not been there with them. they will be the ones glowing Saturday afternoon after we beat the record.

On a side note.....This is a family event and I believe if we start the rated R party at 4:01 it will scare away anybody in the future. I think we can all behave for one afternoon. It's for a great cause...The adult party can always start after dark

Peace out!
Good point.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
This Thursday will be my third Macomb Daily Article about it.

Also I forwarded all other press inquiries to Brian and Nikki.

Hope it all helps!

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
I hope we have a great first year showing !!!!

I have posted and handed out many flyers also.

Stores by my house, put in bay, sports authority, and so on..

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
thanks buoys~~

yes we have sent out a press release to channel 2, 4, & 7.

Haven't heard anything back. I have also been trying to flood there newsdesks with emails about this event. If anyone would like you can email them also from there web sites. Maybe it will help, who knows?

all good thinking and thanks for everyones support and help with this event...can't say it enough.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
The Free Press has a pretty good weekend section on Fridays, anything sent to them??

I think it would make a good front page Weekend section story!!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Yes, we have sent a press release to the detroit newspapers and haven't heard anything.
If anyone would like feel free to contact their tip line or email them and flood them with calls and emails also. It may help more.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
QUOTEIf anyone would like feel free to contact their tip line or email them and flood them with calls and emails also. It may help more.

Will Do!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts