Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some final thoughts on the RAFT and LAKE ST. CLAIR

We all know we have the best lake anywhere in the United States. We know we have enough people with boats that we can not only beat the record of 1,453 boats held currently by Lake Norman NC, but we can have enough boats there to make the record unreachable for ANY other lake for years to come.

BUT

It's gonna take a lot of cooperation on EVERYONE that is going to participate, along with patience and courtesy to fellow boaters and the Lake in general.

That being said, here are some suggestions:

-get there early, there are going to be a lot of people there on Friday night (including Tango and Myself) and that is awesome, we can get a early start on forming the lines for the layout. If you get there at 3 or 3:30 Saturday afternoon there is no guarantee you will be able to get in the line, it would be very disappointing to have enough boats show up but too late to get in the line

-bring fenders/bumbers, lines, and anchors, you are responsible for the tie off, stability, and care of your own boat, with this in mind, don't be surprised if people won't let you tie off them if you whip out some life jackets and frayed clothes line to use as bumpers and tie offs, and don't be afraid to tell someone they can't tie off your boat without the proper equipment, if more people did that we would have more responsible boaters on the lake

-if you have to leave the line early (we hope you don't and will stay until at least 4pm) don't just take off, let the people on the port and starboard sides of you know you are leaving so they can re-secure the line

-every week at the moot there are almost enough boats to beat the old record, but they are not all joined together, which we need to do, please don't come and hang on the outskirts to watch, we NEED you to sign in and join the line, we will hopefully have some dingys running to the shy boaters encouraging them to join the line up

-some people have preconceived notions of what happens in the moot on weekends at the raft ups, and some of these things do occur, with that in mind, and knowing there are some boaters that prefer a less rowdy atmosphere, there will be SEVERAL lineups to choose from that we will attempt to connect near the official time, you will be able to tell which lineup you want to be in, but no matter where you are, you will probably hear loud music cause it is a celebration, a celebration of our Lake and boating, we request and have spoke with several involved people to respect other boaters and keep the loud music in check and remember it's a family event, watch yourself and keep that in mind.

-some people have concern about the depth, take it in slow and easy, follow another boat if you are worried, but be reassured, there is plenty of water in Muscamoot for boats of all size, if you haven't been in there before you will be surprised at the sizes of boats that are going to be there.

-respect the lake, don't throw cans and cigarette butts into the lake, why would you do that or let anyone else pollute our lake, if you see someone doing it, say something, there are enough people that feel the same way and will be happy that you pointed out a loser that littered in the lake, if you do see some floaters (cans and butts), please collect them and dispose of them properly, we want to leave lake as clean or cleaner than when we arrived

-HAVE FUN, THAT'S WHY WE ARE HERE, COME EARLY, JOIN THE LINE, BUY A T-SHIRT OR COOZIE OR JUST DONATE SOME MONEY, THEN SIT BACK AND RELAX, OR GET IN THE WATER AND VISIT SOME FRIENDS OF MAKE SOME NEW FRIENDS

it's all about having fun for a good cause

pray for good weather and a good turnout, lets do this

RAFT!!!!

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Kind of an important topic I would think

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
QUOTE(Goose @ Aug 2 2004, 10:34 AM)BUY A T-SHIRT OR COOZIE
Thanks to you guys on Sunday. We will be pulling in with the "Proper" attire & accessories!

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
very well put!
good luck.. .and kick lake norman's butt!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
My suggestion would be this: WE NEED SUPPORT AND ATTENDANCE FROM ALL 2000 LSCN MEMBERS AT THIS. TO THE 4 PEOPLE THAT SPEARHEADED THIS EVENT AND TO THE CHARITES INVOLVED, IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT WE MAKE THIS A HUGE SUCCESS.

Lets show them our LSCN support!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Very well said Goose! Good points for all to keep in mind. I have a really good feeling that this will be an event that (most of us) will never forget!!!! Let's all work together and have a SAFE and AMAZINGLY AWESOME good time!!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
GOOSE, ALL SOUNDS GOOD. THE TOT LOT GANG WAS TALKING THE OTHER DAY AND WE ARE ALL GOING TO TRY AND SHOW UP AT THE SAME TIME SO WE CAN RAFT TOGETHER. SINCE YOU MENTIONED THAT YOU PLAN ON STARTING SEVERAL RAFTS IT WOULD BE NICE IF THE RAFTS CLOSEST TO SHORE WERE MORE KID FRIENDLY SO THE KIDS CAN PLAY IN THE SHALLOW WATER.

JUST AN IDEA.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Are Zodiacs & Jet-Skis going to be counted as boats as well?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
QUOTE(TheWiz @ Aug 2 2004, 11:30 AM)Are Zodiacs & Jet-Skis going to be counted as boats as well?
yes, if they have legal MC numbers they can and will be counted....

·
12,052 Posts
There will be quite a few Sand Pointers with big boats there on Friday , so if you need to follow someone in, catch us on channel 69. Or if you want to raft with cruisers, you're more than welcome to join us.

I can't thank SPYC enough for the support they have given to the raft. I have 8 dinghy's commited so far from them and plan on getting 4 more for a total of 12 RAFT SUPPORT boats going through the bay.

We need a few more volunteers to help pass out forms, I have to talk to Greg yet, I think we'll be fine.

See you all there. And remember print out the flyers and put them up everywhere..................

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Good Info...This should be PINNED!!!!!!!!!

Will be there on Boos' Crew! along with several others from the SCSSPS!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
I've spread the word to anyone I could think of that has a boat, or knows people that have boats. I put out a flyer here at work too.

Unfortunately I have my nephew's birthday party to go to Saturday. <_<

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
goose, I know this comes kinda late in the game but have you given thought to lining up the boats in a gauntlet style line? with ancors off the front of boats in both lines will prevent any shifting or spinning of the boats in line. it will also require half the length. not to mention how entertaining it would be.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
CAN SOMEONE PIN THIS!!!!

THANK YOU>>>

With only 5 days to go it is important that everyone gets a good look at this...

very good information for all boaters and crew alike.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
QUOTE(makowish @ Aug 2 2004, 10:47 AM)Kind of an important topic I would think

I agree, that's why I said this right after it was posted

·
Registered
96 Posts
Are there any plans to try to organize boats by size? I know I would not want my 18ft boat rafted between two 40ft boats, as I am sure they would not want me there.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
QUOTE(Big_Mike_LCA @ Aug 2 2004, 01:28 PM)Are there any plans to try to organize boats by size? I know I would not want my 18ft boat rafted between two 40ft boats, as I am sure they would not want me there.
yes, the A's and B's will be in a line, a C line, then the Natural D and up, plus a line for the "augmented" ones

yeah, we will try to keep the lines with boats of similar size

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
yes...our volunteers with the bright orange signs that say raft support on them and volunteers with bright orange shirts with raft support will direct you to the line you need to be in. Last thing we want is for you to turn into a pancake LOL

1 - 20 of 112 Posts