Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the hype on low carb( basically no carb) eating I thought I would through this in to the mix. This way of eating is what works for me. I never really followed a specific diet. I just don't think that you should elimidate a certin food from your diet.
Eating properly to lose body fat is easier and more enjoyable than you might think. Most people think of a diet as a temorary way of restricting food until they reach a certain weight goal. It's not. You don't need to go on a specific diet that forbids certain foods or tells you exactly what foods to eat each day. That's something people can stick with for a while; but when they inevitably go off that type of rigid diet, they tend to go back to their old eating habits and gain back any weight they lost. You should never think of being on or off a diet.

In my opinion you should make your OWN choices within the guidlines of a normal, healthy diet that you can enjoy and continue for life. Eating fewer high fat foods and more fruits, vegetables and grains is the best diet to lose fat. A diet based on these two principles, "balance" and " calories" is the closest thing you can get to a "magic" diet for losing body fat. Eat a variety of foods and don't eat too much of anything.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Thanks Fitchick! I agree with your .02.

I have just been gun-ho on eatting carbs, big time. That is why I decided to try and go with the low-carb thing. I am also going to try and eat 6 smaller meals throughout the day, I heard that also helps to maintain a good diet. Actually not even calling what I am dong a "diet", just a change in eatting habits!

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
fit chick, that is the way they taught us in competitive cheer camp and also when i was with the trainers with the drive. you need a balance. fruits, veggies, grains, dairy, low fat... keeping it balanced is the key. so that's what i've been keeping to for a couple days now... seems to be working well!

oh! and i'm taking a once a day multivitamin. i got a bottle of them in my stocking... someone was trying to tell me that they want me around a little longer!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(surfergirlck @ Jan 6 2004, 10:09 AM)fit chick, that is the way they taught us in competitive cheer camp and also when i was with the trainers with the drive. you need a balance. fruits, veggies, grains, dairy, low fat... keeping it balanced is the key. so that's what i've been keeping to for a couple days now... seems to be working well!

exactally! You don't feel deprived when you eat a balanced diet. I love red twizzlers and york pepperment patties. I usually eat them every Sunday when I rent a movie. Got to treat yourself to some goodies too

·
Registered
485 Posts
the last time I lost a significant amount of weight, I dropped all things friend, all potatoes and tried to eat more fresh veg and fruit. It worked pretty well, but man did I miss appetizers. Is there any way to keep breaded foods in a diet plan, like use a certain kind of oil that would make it less fattening?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Amelia @ Jan 6 2004, 10:33 AM)the last time I lost a significant amount of weight, I dropped all things friend, all potatoes and tried to eat more fresh veg and fruit. It worked pretty well, but man did I miss appetizers. Is there any way to keep breaded foods in a diet plan, like use a certain kind of oil that would make it less fattening?
Fried food is never good for you. There are plenty of apps you can have that are baked. Enjoy your fried apps but only on occasion. As far as oil goes olive would be the best choice .

·
Registered
557 Posts
I tried that Atkins diet once a few years ago, and it made me feel weak and sick. So now I eat a well-balanced diet, staying away from high fat foods, and sugary foods. I find that enjoy the lite versions just as much as the original. Pancake syrup has 200 calories in a 1/4 cup. The lite version has 100 and tastes just as good.
Even the sugar-free version with only 35 calories doesn't taste too bad. And exercise is a MUST!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
THANK YOU AMY!!!!!!!!!! AMEN GIRL!!

QUOTEWith all the hype on low carb( basically no carb) eating I thought I would through this in to the mix. This way of eating is what works for me. I never really followed a specific diet. I just don't think that you should elimidate a certin food from your diet.
Eating properly to lose body fat is easier and more enjoyable than you might think. Most people think of a diet as a temorary way of restricting food until they reach a certain weight goal. It's not. You don't need to go on a specific diet that forbids certain foods or tells you exactly what foods to eat each day. That's something people can stick with for a while; but when they inevitably go off that type of rigid diet, they tend to go back to their old eating habits and gain back any weight they lost. You should never think of being on or off a diet.

In my opinion you should make your OWN choices within the guidlines of a normal, healthy diet that you can enjoy and continue for life. Eating fewer high fat foods and more fruits, vegetables and grains is the best diet to lose fat. A diet based on these two principles, "balance" and " calories" is the closest thing you can get to a "magic" diet for losing body fat. Eat a variety of foods and don't eat too much of anything.
Just my 2 cents.

Finally someone who spoke my mind, I couldn't agree with you more!! It's driving me crazy reading all this stuff about low carb this no eating that, no drinking etc.......I totally believe it's like you said COMPLETELY!! Everyone shouldn't be so crazy, I guess if you need strict dicipline so be it, but for god's sake eat some freakin cheese or some pizza and enjoy life! Just don't eat it all day every day.......!! That's my .02 too!

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
As a former personal trainer and bodybuilder, I claim to know a few things about diet, exercise and nutrition. I have found that FitChick's analysis is dead on.

I lost 50 pounds in 5 months preparing for my last bodybuilding competition while eating 6 meals a day. The key was to limit my daily caloric intake enough so that it didn't exceed my caloric expenditure each day. Burn more calories than you take in and you can't help but lose weight.

NEVER think of yourself as on a diet. Simply make up your mind to eat with a purpose and exercise regularly and watch yourself melt before your eyes.

I've decided that I'm through with the "fat guy" portion of my life so I am in the process of losing 100 pounds. Already down 20 since about mid November.

Failure is not an option.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Mongo, you were already in shape and training. So naturaully that made sense.

Fitchick, if just eating right was so simple I wouldnt be 100 lbs over wieght.

Ill be sticking to my no or low carb diet as long as Im losing weight. And when Im finally slim enough to exercise with out being in danger of hurting myself Ill go back to a low fat high complex carb diet.

How ever since Ive been on my diet Ive eaten nothing but healthy good food.

Lean sirloin steak.
Salmon and all sorts of fish.
boneless chicken breast.
Tons of vegetables.
Very good and healthy breakfasts

Because of the no carb thing Ive have stopped eating fast food, pastries, donuts, pop tarts and lots of sweets and sugars so I have nothing but good things to say about my no or low carb diet and techniquelly I am eating right.

Hey ecerybody I got a plan eat right and youll be healthy. If it was that simple nobody would be fat, unhealthy or out of shape. Oh and in your speech you left out exercise.

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
Amy is correct. About 5 years ago, I balanced my diet and lost 25 pounds in 2 1/2 months. I didn't deprive myself of carbs, potatoes and pastas I love too much! I just cut back on how much I ate but included more fruits and veggies into the mix. Drinking a lot of water also helped. I cut back on the pop, but not entirely cuz I didn't want to go without my jack & cokes when I went out (hee hee). I maintained the weight I lost for 3 years. It really is easy to do. You also do have to learn to say no to seconds.

I did fall off the wagon about a year ago or so and became a piggy again, but as of Jan. 1, have started to eat less. It is harder after you turn 30 so I strongly suggest working out to help with your metabolism.

just my .02

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
CBJ, i agree with you to a point, you have a lot more weight to lose than some of these people trying to take off 5-15 lbs. You need to try something a little more drastic, (ie, the low carb diet), kudos to you for doing it....

the key is, once you are at the goal you want, don't go back to eating the way you did before new years, eat the balanced diet and don't deprive yourself

it is impossible to stick to the low carb diet forever

but those who have to lose 5-15 lbs, the low carb deprivation is probably not the right way to do it

BTW, im eating a little healthier, not great, but intense workouts, Monday I ran 5.25 miles in the AM, hit the gym in the PM for some Shoulder/Arm weights, and then was surprised that I had a hockey game that night, 1 1/2 hours of skating, needless to say I am moving quite slow today

I have to lay off making fun of Pauligan for a while, I saw her at the gym and she said I was already looking good, god bless your innocent heart Pauline

i was trying to sneak up behind her when she was on the scale and put my foot on the scale without her noticing - to freak her out, now i feel bad for teasing her

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
lmao goose!!!

Ok, visions of you targeting me 50 yards away from you in a crowded gym standing on the scale... and you thinking you can tip toe all the way over without being spotted AND add poundage to the scale??

It is a very brief 3.2 seconds standing on the horrid scale.

hee hee..

and yeah, I was shocked to see how big your arms had already gotten. you go!

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
QUOTE(pauligan @ Jan 6 2004, 02:11 PM)and yeah, I was shocked to see how big your arms had already gotten. you go!
it's more my right arm than my left, and my forearm and hand also, for some strange reason

G

·
I heard a McDonalds commercial the other day and didn't pay much attention to it. I found one part funny though, it was like "blah blah blah...and fries and a shake round out the meal..." With all of the publicity about how overweight America is, you've got to wonder if the company and the ad writers have completely sold their souls to the devil.

A big mac is really good on it's own, but you really just need to round out that meal with a large fry and chocolate shake. Cripes...

·
Registered
409 Posts
I mostly agree about a balanced diet, however, to lose weight you must limit calories. Many, many people do not count the butter they put on their bread at dinner 50 - 100 calories, the flavored creamer in their coffee, 50 calories, the ALCOHOL - one 6 oz glass of wine - 140 calories.

It all adds up. I have found that I have to really balance out my calories and foods or I go over my calorie limit and don't lose weight.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I agree Blondestreak.

Someone who has quite a lot of weight to lose must go on some form of diet and exercise regimen to loose the bulk of the weight...after that, if you want to keep it off, it is all about lifestyle and eating reasonably and healthy on a consistant basis (exercise too). I personally never really diet, yes I could stand to loose a few pounds, but if I don't eat crap, I will drop the weight. Cutting carbs is a easy way to do it to me, but I prefer the Zone way, not Atkins. Meals should be 30% fat, 40% protein, and 30% carbs (but mostly "good" carbs)....

My husband did the Atkins style with Grapefruit diet last year, the diet called for 2 eggs and 2 bacon and 1/2 grapefruit for breakfast everyday..lost 15 pounds and now has high cholesteral....he won't be doing that again!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(CBJ @ Jan 6 2004, 01:45 PM)Mongo, you were already in shape and training. So naturaully that made sense.

Fitchick, if just eating right was so simple I wouldnt be 100 lbs over wieght.

Ill be sticking to my no or low carb diet as long as Im losing weight. And when Im finally slim enough to exercise with out being in danger of hurting myself Ill go back to a low fat high complex carb diet.

How ever since Ive been on my diet Ive eaten nothing but healthy good food.

Lean sirloin steak.
Salmon and all sorts of fish.
boneless chicken breast.
Tons of vegetables.
Very good and healthy breakfasts

Because of the no carb thing Ive have stopped eating fast food, pastries, donuts, pop tarts and lots of sweets and sugars so I have nothing but good things to say about my no or low carb diet and techniquelly I am eating right.

Hey ecerybody I got a plan eat right and youll be healthy. If it was that simple nobody would be fat, unhealthy or out of shape. Oh and in your speech you left out exercise.
Exercise is a given in my speech. I don't care how overweight you are you NEED to exercise! No one is asking you to run a marithon but any form of exercise is better than none at all for losing body fat . Any exercise which requires you to use your muscles will cause your body to burn fat after the exercise is over.
5-6 days of week is ideal.
Exercise is the most critical factor in losing body fat. The other major factor- eating properly- will never be completely effective by itself. Regular exercise forces your body to adapt by becoming less fat and more fit. Although the amount of fat loss varies from person to person, a decrease in body fat always occurs as a result of regular exercise. By becoming fit, losing fat takes care of itself.
Ok now I have incoorporated fitness into my speech.
Thanks for listening

·
Registered
184 Posts
I considered doing the South Beach diet (starts out no carb, moves to low carb) but after some research and thinking about it, I decided not to do it. High protein diets are hard on the kidneys. Those of you who are doing the Atkins diet, be sure to drink LOTS of water.
I agree with the concensus here, exercise and proper diet are the keys.
CBJ, you are NOT too overweight to exercise now. Start slow. Don't over do it. Walk a mile a few times a week. Find what works for you, but don't excuse yourself out of it.
Here's a site with a variety of ideas...
Fitness Jumpsite

1 - 20 of 32 Posts