Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering out of all the muskie pictures I look at when a person holds up a musky the tail has some blood on it in two spots. I was just wondering what that was from. Some pictures dont have it so I was wondering if there is something that causes this.

·
Registered
869 Posts
QUOTE(Mukskellunge Mitchell @ Aug 26 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was just wondering out of all the muskie pictures I look at when a person holds up a musky the tail has some blood on it in two spots. I was just wondering what that was from. Some pictures dont have it so I was wondering if there is something that causes this.

Sometimes the fish gets his tail caught between the holes in the net which causes injury.
Not sure if thats what you mean.

·
Registered
125 Posts
QUOTE(Mukskellunge Mitchell @ Aug 26 2009, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>well I guess thats why all of them do not have the blood on the tail. Does it have any olng term effects should I not use a net anymore?

I would say the spots you are seeing, are the sores from the Muskie Aids virus. Not from the tails being caught in the nets.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm sure you're seeing split tails and they will heal eventually but there's a chance of infection (as with any injury). If at all possible keeping the fish in the water and not lifting them into the boat will help keep fins from splitting many times even if the net isn't a fish friendly net. As mentioned above Beckman and Frabil both make good nets and if your current hoop is big enough you could replace your net bag instead of buying a new net. If you haven't seen the release tips vid at the top of the page you can see what the Beckman finsaver net looks like.

Here's a good example of a tail split by a net.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
As BassTek said, the bleeding tails are from the act of landing the fish in a net. I have hand-landed several fish this season and they do not get the bloody, chewed-up tails that way. Although hand-landing certainly raises the risk of injury to the guy/gal trying to grab the fish. Alternatives to hand-landing are to use the highest quality net you can afford to buy, try a cradle (I personally hate them), or unhook while at the side of the boat.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
QUOTE(little guy @ Aug 26 2009, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As BassTek said, the bleeding tails are from the act of landing the fish in a net. I have hand-landed several fish this season and they do not get the bloody, chewed-up tails that way. Although hand-landing certainly raises the risk of injury to the guy/gal trying to grab the fish. Alternatives to hand-landing are to use the highest quality net you can afford to buy, try a cradle (I personally hate them), or unhook while at the side of the boat.

whats wrong with the cradles i never used them but it seems that its better than a net

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Some people like cradles. I find them to be cumbersome with my short arms. Also if the boat is drifting fast it is hard to get the fish pulled into the cradle. You cannot "scoop" a fish like with a net, as the lure tends to get snagged on the outside of the mesh, causing A. the hooks to tear out of the fish's mouth = lost fish, or B. hooks/line breaks = lost fish with a mouthful of hooks and lure. I lost a 40"+ northern because of this and it swam away with a 5" smithwick rogue and 3 trebles in it's mouth, and I never used a cradle again.

A cradle will support a fish very well in the water, not injure the tail, and keeps the fish's head in a good spot for you to get it unhooked.

A cradle is a good choice for many people. I prefer to use a net. I catch a lot of fish with beat-up tails and open sores and lesions. Fish that look so bad I don't even want to take a picture of them. For that reason I personally don't think a bloody tail will cause mortality in a significant % of fish that I catch every season and land in a net.

Use whatever you feel most comfortable with and you should be fine.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
I will never use a cradle. A friend had a fish back up and raise itself and tore his wrist open. A good thing it didn't hit the artery. Small ones just leave in the water. In fact if you really don 't bneed a photoor something else leave them all in the water.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
QUOTE(Mukskellunge Mitchell @ Aug 26 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was just wondering out of all the muskie pictures I look at when a person holds up a musky the tail has some blood on it in two spots. I was just wondering what that was from. Some pictures dont have it so I was wondering if there is something that causes this.

bad net
they twist and turn and cut their tails
not great for the fish
Frabill....

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
1,435 Posts
hmmm

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
The net sounds like it may be one answer, but I get pike with bloody tails when they come through the ice, and obviously there's not net in that case. Any ideas?

·
Registered
259 Posts
QUOTE(icefishermanmark12 @ Aug 26 2009, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The net sounds like it may be one answer, but I get pike with bloody tails when they come through the ice, and obviously there's not net in that case. Any ideas?

Your line could be the cause of split tails. I've watched muskies tear their tails from the tip to the base on my line as they power away from the boat. I always fish white line and it will leave an obvious stripe of blood on the line. This happens more in cold water becasue esocids have a tendency to spin as they take line which wraps the fish and puts the line in a perfect position to cut the tail.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
We have noticed the tails on both species, get pretty RED during/after being caught. (I would assume from stress/adrenaline)

I have not seen bleeding, per say, from this color change. Bleeding, IMO is from the net/line/cradle. For sure, there is a distinct color change, compared to watching one in an aquarium.

Also, we have seen the red color, go away, while fish calms in the FISH ThANKS, waiting for its' release.

·
Registered
94 Posts
QUOTE(Mukskellunge Mitchell @ Aug 26 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was just wondering out of all the muskie pictures I look at when a person holds up a musky the tail has some blood on it in two spots. I was just wondering what that was from. Some pictures dont have it so I was wondering if there is something that causes this.The blood is from your net.The 50 or so fish that been in my net this year none of them have had blood or split tails so do what schram said and get a frabill the fish will thank you.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
QUOTE(Contender @ Aug 26 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's a conspiracy!!?

With CPR so popular....

The walleye and perch guys are cutting up their tails now

...instead of cutting open the bellies, like the old days.

no we use a spear now or before deer season we use our bows a more ethnical way if you ask me. Who needs a 200 doller net i have pse with carbon arrows that works just fine

Ps. don't shoot me at the get together i am just joking

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.