Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen many posts on here about which lakes are the best to fish and this has brought up the question. Which lakes are the ones to avoid?

I am curious as to which lakes you avoid and why. Do you avoid the because of fish, hazards, boat traffic? Explain....

Whats the worst lake to catch bass on? ... I would really like to know which lakes the bass fishermen disslike the most.

My votes go to ......

#1 Holloway - Not only is this one tough lake to catch fish on but there are stumps every where and more hazards than I care for. I'm told this lake has Bass in it .... yeah right who they kidding ! I knicked my prop there last weekend.... arg!

#2 Gun lake - not only can this Lake be tough but the shallow, rocky bars have taken many a boaters props. Thankfully not mine.

#3 Grand River - I use to love this body of water but the last couple years it's been real tough, no weeds and shallow water. Stumps, rocks and hazards galore. Until the water and weeds come back this river is quickly becoming one river I would rather not fish on.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I think during the day most lakes in oakland county are bombed with water ski's, jet ski's, and i stay off them exception is at night I think alot of the fish are geared to feed at night on those heavily played on lakes. I fish St.Clair in April, May, June, than i slack off in July and Aug. than smack it again on clair in sept, oct. and mostly you will find me in Port Sanilac Harbor casting for chinook,coho, browns, steelhead, ect. @ night in the harbor all october long. Than like bear i hibernate.

h2o<---has fun doing that

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I used to think the Grand was really tough. I blanked three events in a row in the early days. The last time I was there, the water was high and with strong current. On the last practice day, I shook off or caught at least 25 largemouth. I am now impressed.....As for bad lakes, they can drain Muskegon Lake and fill it with dirt.

·
Registered
927 Posts
jim,

its ok. im over it. i will admit i was upset at the time, but i know it wasnt intentional. that is pretty much how my season went last year. i have chalked it up to 'better luck next time'
its all part of the game.

now, as far as lakes i dislike. there is one in particular. white lake in highland. this lake is killer in the spring, but by the time the bass season opens it is packed with drunken power boater, water fleas, skiier, tubers, etc. this is the most dangerous body of water i have ever been on. the other boaters out there have no respect for each other. there are several accidents a year. i think they average two fatalities a year also.

pontiac lake is another one that burns me almost everytime i go out there. nothing like catching 20,000 bass that measure 13.75" in a bass tournament. i know the lake has good fish, i just cant catch them. grrrrr @ pontiac lake.

thats pretty much it. i like the rest of the lakes i fish. i even like the grand river. though i only caught on fish during the bfl tourney last season, me and ABA still whacked pretty good pre fishing.

madman himself

i forgot. im putting belleville lake up there too as an honorable mention. i havent spent a ton of time out there, but it seems like there would be fish everywhere. the 5 or 6 times i have been out there i have never caught a keeper. seen a bunch of followers, but not too many takers.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Stoney Creek by far, but then I hear of people that do great out there. All I know is have have been skunked more than I have caught fish out there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
madman, i second pontiac lk as bad (lot of stumps). i know there are fish there but i only ever see smmall ones or bullheads. i live across the street from white lk in highland and i guess i never thought about the issues you bring up? the sheriff is out there every wknd sometimes with boat and pwc's. a couple years ago the dnr survey netted a nine pound walleye out of there and i bet that is in part what keeps me going back. actually fish duck lk across the street from white and love it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
i havent been on duck lake in a few years. we used to tear it up out there. i had a couple friends who live in oxford acres, brothers actually. but they both past away a few years back.

how are they walleye doing out there. i still remember when the dnr was stocking them. we were catching 6 inch walleye all day.

madman himself

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I repeatedly have tried to give Randall Chain and Coldwater Chain to Indiana.

I actually have done good there a few times in practice, but not much in the few tournaments I've fished there.

The guys that fish them a lot seem to like them just fine. Lots of Indiana guys too, but I can't blame them. They have 12,000,000 bass anglers and about 400 lakes compared to our 11,000 lakes. I would get bored with only 400 lakes to fish too. They're used to smart bass.

I notice a common thread - it's not that the lakes are devoid of bass - it's whether or not the angler likes to fish there.

Lake Lansing is my main nemesis. I can usually do fair to really well anytime except during a tournament. I don't even try tournaments there anymore. Sometimes you just can't fight something. I took first and big bass one of the first times I ever fished it (I think in the 80's) and have never placed there since.

There really aren't many bad lakes in Michigan. Boy, are we spoiled!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Even though I fish it every week (practically) during the season...my vote goes to Belleville. Oh, don't get me wrong, I've seen and caught a few nice fish out there, however, come Tuesday night, I only catch 13.75 inchers...

·
Registered
991 Posts
Wasn't there a time around 20 years ago Pontiac Lake was considered a dead lake? I remember towing a boat out there around 1980 and the weeds were so thick that there was a path to the middle of the lake and a small patch of water that didn't have weeds over the surface. We didn't bother to launch.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I havent fished too many lakes like yall have...but Belleville is by far the worst i've fished. My brothers tell me it used to be awesome. Last time I was there...I caught about 50 smallies and only 5 or 6 measured...and they were barely 14 inches...That was a few years ago...Havent been there since...

Jose

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey garza7585, you must always fish some sweet lakes when you catch 45 sub legal bass and 5-6 legal bass on a lake and then deem it the worst lake you have ever fished. I would have to say Kent Lake in the summer. I have only fished there a few times but it's easy to get skunked out there. The spring can be very nice however.

·
Registered
927 Posts
kent lake is pretty tough in the summer time. its not bad early and late though.

it gets pretty weedy out there too.

madman himself

·
Registered
243 Posts
I agree with Mr. Kimmel. Randal chain is real tough! It looks good, but fishes bad!!

I made the mistake of going to Marble lake during 4th of July weekend one year...... CRAZY!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Devils lake near Adrian could be the worst lake in southern michigan. It's a pleasure boaters paradise and the 2 foot sand bar disecting the lake only adds to it's allure. It's a clear lake early in the year but by the end of June, visibilty is around 6 inches.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts