Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I wont drag this out, I'll try to make it quick.

Most of you read my post about hunting near seasonal roads etc. Well, I hunted near that seasonal road on opening day. I hunted the tall pines up front. I made sure to get in extra early to ensure I snagged my spot. I got in there about 5:30am. Since I dont trust people, I took my climbing stand with me instead of a ground pop up. Typically, I only go 20ft up, but these pines are like telephone poles and I decided to go 30ft up. It took me about 25-30 minutes in the dark and attempting to be as quiet as possible, to get high enough up. I wanted to be that high to see over a small thicket into the next set of pines to my left. The road is 20 yards at my back and there is a two track road to my right about 100 yards away. Thats the trail everyone goes in on to reach the back area of the state land. There are probably 5+ miles of trails/roads back there. In front of me is another thicket and beyond that is 5 years of fresh growth after a logging operation 5-6 years ago. I can see hundreds of yards.

Ok, so I get set by 6:00am. All is quiet. Trucks come down the road and dart into the state land down the two track. My father and uncle are about a mile away from me back in the state land in ladder stands we set up, well off the beaten path. I sit there to save energy and rest until standing for the rest of the morning.

So about 10min before legal shooting time, I stand up quietly and lean up against the tree to watch the sunrise. As light creeps in, the woods take shape. Fast forward to 7:30am.

I look over at the two track lane as I scan all over for movement. I see a deer walking right down the two track, not the thicket, not in cover, but just casually walking down the road towards the road behind me. It was most likely pushed this morning by all of the traffic going to the back areas. So I put my rifle on it and see that it is at least a modest 6pt.

I had to time it as it came in and out of sight in between the rows of pines. I had an opening and took the shot. He jumped up, reeled, and stumbled forward. He runs about 25-30 yards onto the road and I think I see him collapse right there.

I begin packing up my gear and get ready to begin my decent, which is about a 15 minute process. I no sooner get 3-5ft down the tree and a truck approaches at 7:40 am. It comes to a stop in the middle of the road, right by where I think the deer is. I see two guys get out of the truck and walk to the front of their truck. I see them drag my deer to the back of their pick up truck and toss it in the tailgate. I shout... "Hey...thats my deer, wait right there!" Nope, they look in my direction, no way they couldnt see me or hear me. They hop in their truck and drive off...with my deer. As they drove behind me on the road, they looked right at me as I flipped them off yelling and screaming. I hate dishonest people. It was the first time in my life that I contemplated putting a round through their engine block in their truck, but I enjoy my life and hunting rights and chose to take the high road, as hard as it was. So that basically ruined my opening day and as I write this, my stomach still turns.

My uncle, father, and several other hunters who found out about the incident were really supportive and my uncle did a bag a really nice big spike around 10am.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Nov 16 2009, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would have been effen pizzed!!!
Did you happen to get a license plate number and turn these jack-azzes in?
It would have been poetic justice if they got busted with your deer and didn't have a tag.

it is also against the law to tag some one elses deer but you would have to prove you was the one who shot it

·
Registered
526 Posts
Not even a warning shot? Your alot calmer than me. Where did this happen? Did you get a decent description? I'd at least fill out a police report. Sorry to hear bout that. It's not surprising tho, people generally suk, this country is full of loafers and moochers, and no stimulus plan can fix that!

Water Boat Helmet Paddle Watercraft

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
damn that sucks, I think I would have been shooting tires out, the a**hole bug must be going around, I'm sitting in my stand yesterday morning on private property about 25 yards off of where a heavy run and a fire lane intersect. I'm sitting there minding my own business, trying to be as quiet and as still as possible, when I get that feeling like someones watching me, I look over my shoulder and theres this guy walking towards me looing right up at me, I'm thinking wtf, I ask him "is there something I can do for you" trying not to sound to much like witch and then he turns and walks away back on to the adjoining property without saying a single word to me.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Man that sucks sorry to hear that. But yes there would have been a warning shot fired in there direction if it was me. They can't prove I shot at them just near them just like it would have been hard for you to prove that you shot the deer.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Some people are idiots. Guy that hunts in Jackson on the same property I do had an 8 pt taken from the side of the road as he was getting his truck to pick it up.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Warning shot would have been in order!!!! Right through the engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts