Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazing what fisherman find while fishing. I've found anchors, lure's, bucket's, boat cushion, but the best find was in Sanilac Harbor, a downrigger rod and reel. Looking down in the water there it was laying on the bottom. Tell us what you've found while fishing. If it was floating, on shore, at the ramp, through a snag whatever. This should be interesting.

h2o

G

·
While trolling the St.Marys River a friend of mine snagged a large Canadian flag. However it was baige(Sp) and Green and it was not from the water either????

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have found a few anchors, lots of lures and harness's, but the best has to be a Diawa rod and reel combo, spooled with spiderwire.
I was Bobber fishing with Chubs for pike in the spillway near jefferson and when i went to reel the line in, it was heavy, but not fighting, so i dragged what i thought was a stick on shore and it turned out to be my new fishing pole for that year, it couldnt have been in the water more than a couple days, and all it needed was a good cleaning.
note to self: never leave rod unattended when fishing!

·
Registered
397 Posts
When I lived in NH a friend and I were fishing Lake Winnipesaukee in a section called "The Graveyard" and we saw a nice SS prop at the bottom of the lake. We marked in on the GPS and went back with snorkle gear.

Not only did we retrieve the prop, we also got the entire lower unit that was attached to it....

We brought it to a local marina and the owner said "bring that around back". Sure enough, there was a FourWinns with a missing out drive. We put the one we found up to it and it fit like a puzzle piece.

The owner of the marina gave us $200 for it.

Marke

·
Registered
294 Posts
About 11 or 12 years ago, I was fishing an annual, memorial tournament on the Grand River in Lansing. As I was fishing a normally productive stretch of shoreline, I noticed something ahead of the boat, in the water. Being the Grand, I figured someone tossed a jacket or other peice of clothing in the water. Wrong!!! As I moved closer, I realized that there was more clothing and a head attached to this jacket. I immediately ran back to the weigh-in sight to have the tournament director call the police. I showed them where the body was when they arrived. Turned out to be a woman who had been missing for about 3 or 4 days. According to the police offficers who responded to the scene, she had been in the water for at least 2 days (not a pretty sight or smell). I think that it was concluded that she was drunk and fell in. No foul play was involved. Needless to say, the rest of my day was less than stellar.

·
Registered
927 Posts
CREEPY!!!!!!!!!!

i was fishng tee lake in west branch. i was throwing a texas rigged worm and caught something on the bottom. whe i got it to the boat, i realized that i had caught a rod and reel. upon inspecting it i realized that it was old. the rod was actually made of metal and the reel had a date of 1938 inscribed on it. i wonder if it had been down there that long?

the other day while fishing lake ponemah in fenton for our third aba tourney, my co angler caught a half smoked cigar on a rapala skitter pop.

another friend of mine was fishing the detroit river from shore and kept getting the feeling that someone was looking at him. he was alone but kept getting this feeling. a little while later he was looking down into the water and noticed what looked like an eye staring at him. he looked a little longer and figured out that it was a body which was stuck in some branched from a fallen tree. he took off like a bat out of hell and called the cops. the guy had been missing for over a year. they never even thought he was dead. they thought he had run away to mexico because of some problems involving the law. my friend fishes the river no more.

madman himself

·
Registered
187 Posts
After reading those stories I'm glad to say all I ever got is a few lures. Actually I catch the old line and sometime there's a prize on the end. A few spoons and a couple Repalas.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry guy's never intended to hear about bad things like body's Maybe we can just keep it to other things besides bodies.

h2o

·
Registered
19 Posts
So far this year in the Detroit river , I have got .... 1 brand new life jacket , 1 minow bucket ... with live minows 24 or so .. the handle was missing , 1 Ranger Boat hat .... oh ya and one Fat cold guy that couldn,t get back on his jet ski .... hahahah

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
I got a rod and reel in cat lake.
I got a anchor on LSC.
I got a bone out of the detroit river that had to be human cuz of its length were thikning leg. Should have giving it to the police but my dog ate it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
CBJ,

that is the single most disturbing thing i have ever heard

but at the same time, i probably would have dont he same

madman himself

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
QUOTE(Bigmac @ Jul 15 2003, 02:26 PM)So far this year in the Detroit river , I have got .... 1 brand new life jacket , 1 minow bucket ... with live minows 24 or so .. the handle was missing , 1 Ranger Boat hat .... oh ya and one Fat cold guy that couldn,t get back on his jet ski .... hahahah

I lost a minnow bucket in the DEtroit River when will you be returning it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
As a kid I caught the back of my head trying to use my pole like the fly fisherman guys, damn I can still feel the pain from that sinker whacking the back of my head!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My buddy found listen to this, a wad of lures big as a 5 gallon bucket 200-300 lures in the st. clair river. Took him forever to get them up. Snaged them on the bottom. Must of been a famous place to lose your lure. Also reminds me of the guy in sanilac that would move a box spring around the harbor at night scuba diving to get lures. I know i lost a few to it after all the harbor had no snags on a sand bottom but this guy had a plan going to get lures. He'd sneak out at night and collect the lures than move the box spring around went on for years there. They got hip to him. Not sure if he got caught but the box spring was removed. Keep the stories coming this is cool reading.

h2o

·
Registered
294 Posts
OK, on a more pleasant note. There is a lake in the Lansing area, Lake Ovid, in Sleepy Hollow State Park (no bodies, I promise). It is a 400+ acre, no wake lake, that is a true reservoir and fishes like one. This lake has good largemouth and on a good day, it will take a 16 - 18 lb., 5 fish limit to win. One of the really productive paterns used to be to fish a big, deep diving (Norman DD22) around the various stumps and assorted structure along the old river channel. One day I was fishing in tournament, having only so-so luck on the crankbait that I was using. I had lost the last of a particularly productive color bait and was using my next best alternative. As my luck would have it, I got the last of this lure hung up. As I pulled, it came free. When I got it to the boat, I found that I had hooked some line, with a DD22 in the best color, attached to it. I cut it off the broken line, tied it to mine, and proceeded to clean the clock. I ended up culling at least 6 fish from this area for a winning weight of 17.6 lbs. Back at the weigh-in, one of my buds who was also fishing this tournament was saying how he lost the last of his "good" DD22's in the area where I had caught all my fish. I smiled when he told me the color, and that he was fishing with brown line, handed him his crankbait back, and thanked him.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
These are great stories guy's keep them coming. CBJ's post is also great. Things lost while fishing. It's just great reading.

h2o

·
Registered
62 Posts
How about finding out something while fishing instead of finding something. I stayed at a rental house once and was fishing Muskegon lake when I realized that I had my onboard charger plugged in the night before and never unplugged it in the morning. The first thing I thought was that I had knotted the cords together so if someone tripped on it they wouldn't come apart. I lifted up the back compartment and noticed that the power cord on my charger was completely ripped out. I figured it took a lot of tension to cause this and when I got back I was informed by my family that they heard a loud crash when I left and when they came out the pillar from the house had fallen down. Apparently I had the cord winding around the pillar. Luckily everything was easily fixed and we had a good laugh. Now I wrap the cord around my mirror so it won't happen again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Chalk up another body story. My grandfather had one drift past him on the Detroit River(Wyadotte area) in the 60's. Since this is precell phone days they just kept jigging and drifting with the body while another boat went in to call the police. I guess they fished with that body within a cast length of the boat for hours. Definately creepy.

For me it is a few anchors and lures. No G-loomis or St. Croix rods matched with Shimano Calias reels........still hoping though.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The best find was this board: The St.Clair Network has to be the best thing i found because of fishing. All the great people here ready to help, Gosh i bet some of you would go to someone's house to show them how to tie a trilene knot. I just enjoy all i read hear and thanks to mini we have a well organized fishing tool to use to our benefit. Thanks all of you that participate here and keep up the good work.

h2o

1 - 20 of 32 Posts