Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost a muskie Rod and reel in Anchor bay when I caught my first Muskie. As well as about 2 to 300 Tubes over the last 5 years.

Oh yeah so many hats I cant count em all.

Some sanity a little virginity and my friend once lost his cookies.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Good one CBJ: I lost a anchor and once i put 3 fishing poles on the roof of my SUV. Drove away heard tick tick, remember saying to myself What was that. Blew it off. Got home rods were gone. Than remembered that noise new it was them. 100 miles would of had to of been back tracked. To get them. New they would of been found by the time i got back, Darn. Once woke up immediatly went fishing dew on everything casted my diawa minicast pole zoom it went flying out of hand sunk fast. Next time i'll wake up then go fishing. This should be interesting reading also CBJ.

h2o

·
Registered
294 Posts
A few years back, the family and I are up at Rondeau Bay on vacation for a week. The second day I wake up, go down to the dock, jump in the boat, fire it up and head out into the bay for a morning of fightin' smallies. At about 65 mph, I thought I heard a noise from the motor. As I turn my head to look and see, I knew just before it happened. Good-bye eyeglasses, Doh!!! Sucked right off my head. Watched them hit the front of the ol' Merc, then fly over the top and into the drink. Expensive lesson. Croakies=cheap insurance. Oh, by the way, motor was fine.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was out on a small lake with my son. We were out bass fishing in a canoe. You know how most of the none fishing boaters are. Hey lets see how fast we can go from one end of the lake to the other, now lets do it again. Of course they don't think to much of the smaller boats out there. We decided to go in be for to many more boats came out. We had a few of the speed demon come by a little to close. We made to about 100 feet from the dock and the canoe decided to become a submarine. We lost 3 rods, a buck knife, a few lures, a battery, and a few other items. But the worst thing was everyone stands there and looks. The only person to help was a hadicaped gentelman In his boat. He said he would help as much as he could but he was limited. He took my son aboard and tossed me a line to help pull the boat in. It all turn out for the better. My wife let me buy a bigger boat and I up graded all my rods and reels.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The prop. It was a '57 35 horse and when we started it up and put it into gear didn't go. Trolling motor battery died as well. So, to get back to the launch we would throw the anchor out to pull the boat forward. It was a real foggy morning and when passed real close to a couple of old men fishing. They said something about what we were doing, and I told them trolling. Well, they didn't offer to help us in and my dad was not to happy with me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have lost all of the usual, sunglasses, rods and reals, hats ect., however, this one takes the cake. I let my wife and her crazy friend take the boat out for the first time by themselves, while I went golfing with her friend's husband. I get back only to find out that they had lost the Stainless Steel prop off my big motor. Not only that, she proceeds to tell me that before the prop came off, the two of them decided to do a lap around the lake with their tops off (how come that never happens when I am fishing?). After catching some rays, they decide to head in, only to find that the prop is gone. Needless to say, they had no trouble getting someone to tow them in.

Turns out that 15 props had been lost in 2 weeks on that lake, all due to a 15 yr. old suspect and his buddy that removed the cotter pin during the night.

That was the one and only time she ever drove the boat.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Several years back I was fishing the wall in Port Sanilac with my wife and in-laws. I had set up my 9' graphite/magnesium steelhead rod with a gob of spawn on a slip sinker. I set it down to set up a second rod for casting. No sooner had I turned my back when I heard the pole bounce twice as it went flying off the wall and quickly out of sight (Someone forgot to open the bail). While I'm still trying to get over the shock my Mother In-law, who is fishing about 30 yards down the wall from me, starts yelling "Fish On! Fish On!!" I grabbed the net and ran over to watch the fight. A couple of minutes into the battle my steelhead rod emerges from the water hooked to the end of her line. The funny thing was, the fish that took the rod in the first place was still hooked to my line. My Mother In-law battled it in until I could reach my fishing rod and a few minutes later we netted a 9 pound hen chinook. I kept the steelhead rod, she kept the fish. It was only fair.

·
Registered
175 Posts
A couple years ago my brother and I were fishing the River. We were retreiving and I was in the boat alone on the front deck holding on to a seawall to keep the boat from moving. Well along comes some guy in a cigarrette boat and the biggest wake i've ever seen was comin right toward everyone. The wake made a boat run into ours and bounced it off the seawall. I lost my balance and while strugglin to stand up/stay in the boat my glasses go flyin off my face. Everything went into slow motion. I could see the glasses sink out of site. I had just bought them and they cost me a little under 400 dollars...they were prescription glasses.

Another time in a small lake in Irish Hills, my uncle and I tipped over in a canoe and down into the depths went his tackle, a buckknife, rods and reels. We swam back to the dock. After a few minutes he went back out and dove in to try to retrieve what he could. Luckily he got his tacklebox and one of his rods.

Good stuff!!

God bless,
Jose

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
While fishing years ago and I think it was Pontiac Lake??? My buddy and I were trolling for anything that wanted to bite.. We were coming to a bridge and I told my buddy Bob low bridge.... Just at the exact second that we were heading under the bridge he gets a hit and stands up. Well, the bridge knocks him in the back and right out of the boat. He went under and the first thing that I did was to cut the engine. He came up holding his fishing rod and I helped him back into the boat. The fish was still on and he pulled it in. It was an under size Pike that just rolled in with the line full of weeds. Once my friend Bob was back in the boat I laughed so hard that I almost wet myself... Bob and I have known each other for 40 years and I just ran into him last weekend for not having seen him in 3 years.... I invited him to go out fishing and the first thing that he said was... And what, fall out of the boat again!! He was on a date and we had to explain to his date why we were laughing.... But he's ready to go out fishing again.... Friendships are a great thing....

·
Registered
622 Posts
My brother(new to boating) made the mistake of putting his cell phone in his shirt pocket, and sure as boats and water he leaned over to tie a line when his phone goes right in the lake. I told him to go get it, and he says why? it was fried the minute it hit the water...I said I know but the battery is NI-Cad, it will poison the water. we fished it out and pitched it... I wonder how many cell phones are down there?

·
Registered
927 Posts
a friend of mine did the same in kent lake. he went to grab his phone from his pocket and lost grip and in it went. we were in 4 feet of water. i quickly grabbed my cel and called his number. a bunch of bubbles came up and we were able to find his phone. it worked just long enough to accept my call and reveal its position, then it was toast!

madman himself

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
These are some great stories and give a feeling of the friendships and good times that fishing is really all about for me.

A couple years ago I had a new Zebco Rhino reel come apart while I was retrieving the lure and the front half with the gear section went right in the drink. What a piece of junk! I would have taken it back because I still had the receipt but it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to explain why I wanted to return half a reel.

One of the funniest lines I ever heard was said by an airboat guide in the Everglades. He said "Please hang on to everyhting you've got with you. I have a big propeller back here and anything you let go of is going through this blade - I might be able to get it back but it will never be the same!"

·
Registered
20 Posts
$80 Ray Bans
$125 Ocean Waves
$200 rod and reel combo
More hats than I can remember
A couple T-shirts
One nice Ranger jacket
A couple coolers
One of a pair of FRS radios
Hemostats, pliers, clippers, etc.

The worst one was my first trolling motor. On my first boat I was the proud owner of a brand new MotorGuide motor- 5 speeds, steel shaft, etc. The baddest 12volt motor you could buy. My boat would leave a wake behind it when it was on 5. I hit a stump dead center up in Michigan while motoring across a bay- it snapped the transom mount bracket in half and the trolling motor, still on high speed, went buzzing off into the drink. Almost jerked the battery out of the boat with it. Fortunately, ( or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it) the cables pulled off the battery posts and didn't take the battery with it. I watched it go down into the depths- there was no recovery mission attempted.

UFM82

Does losing patience, temper or focus count in this thread?

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(madman24 @ Jul 16 2003, 07:54 AM)5 hats

4 marker buoys ( stolen )

3 leatherman waves

2 rods and reels

A Pent House

Emotion Lotion

and a partridge in a pair tree

madman himself

Wow do you always bring that kind of stuff with you fishing?

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
I found a tackle box at the peir behind Blossom Heath!

OOOOOOPS Wrong thread.

I was fishing off a deck in Algonac I set my rod down and away it went. I used my other rod to snag the line and then I got the rod back and even reeled in the fish. BOWFIN!

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(CBJ @ Jul 16 2003, 05:40 PM)QUOTE(madman24 @ Jul 16 2003, 07:54 AM) 5 hats

4 marker buoys ( stolen )

3 leatherman waves

2 rods and reels

A Pent House

Emotion Lotion

and a partridge in a pair tree

madman himself

Wow do you always bring that kind of stuff with you fishing?

CBJ....whats up?

Please do not edit the quotes here.....Pretty PLEASE??

Have all the crazy fun you want with that in the boathouse, I would hate to see someone get mad because of a joke. AND I dont want to play babysitter.

Mini

·
Registered
45 Posts
About 20 years ago up in Big Bay DeNoc Lake Michigan we had the old fish baskets without the float go down into 50 feet of water. The basket had about 80 jumbo perch in it so we spent a good chunk of time fishing it out.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Had to think about this as the list is extensive. Here goes:

10 HP Johnson
10 cases of beer - long story, beer strike in Canada, helping out the old man, boat got swamped - too much beer, trying to hide from the OPP around Peach, big freighter.
couple of anchors
three guys worth of tackle and rods/reels one evening on the river by ABARS. Almost lost the old man.
mucho sun glasses
radio
cell phone
pager
dog - eventually recovered live and well -another Peach story
lower unit from Merc black Max
Prop in the Clinton River
Jennifer to a guy with a bigger boat at Sinbads
My innocence

1 - 20 of 20 Posts