Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Thinking about buying a seadoo

823 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Convincor 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
1998 GTX Limited 951cc 3 seater 90 hrs, BUT it needs a MPEM controller or whatever I don't know too much about them. Other than that Dee's Marine in Clinton Township says it's good, but is there a reason why the MPEM went out? also comes with a trailer $2000 please let me know what you think. I'm going to check it out tommarow

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
as a girl who knows diddly squat about engines...I'd prolly look for one that didn't need any immediate repairs.
you'll have to research the cost of that repair and weigh that in against the price.

Good Luck

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
You sure that is a limited? Doesn't look like it. I would get confirmation on that.

Other than that the GTX is a great machine. Did Dee's Marine give you a cost on the controller, and how did you/them come to the conclusion of a bad controller?

Have you ever dealt with JetCraft in Fair Haven? Might want to check with them on the price too.

#4 ·
[quote name='Convincor' date='Jul 10 2009, 08:21 AM' post='890207']
You sure that is a limited? Doesn't look like it. I would get confirmation on that.

Other than that the GTX is a great machine. Did Dee's Marine give you a cost on the controller, and how did you/them come to the conclusion of a bad controller?

Have you ever dealt with JetCraft in Fair Haven? Might want to check with them on the price too.

[/quote

I called Dee's and the said they and had the paperwork from the complete diagnostic on the machine and they also said the part was around $600 but I have been looking on ebay they were about $400 I am scared to by something that's broke, but I'm gonna go check it out today around 4 or so and make sure it is what she says it is, maybe take it to another marine shop for a second opinion I try to use network sponsers if you know of anywhere? Thanks Convicor

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE(sleeper @ Jul 10 2009, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What do you want to do with it? and how much do you want to spend?

Personally i'm not a big fan of sea-doos. Too many problems with them. I would typically recommend yamaha, but I have one of those in my garage with a blown motor at the moment too.
I want to pull a tube with it, yea I found a nice 2000 yamaha 3 seater XL 800 for $3100 but I really only wanted to spend $2000-$2500

#11 ·
You gotta axe yourself "Why did the MPEM controller go bad in the first place?". You may run into the problem where you buy it, and install the new MPEM and everything is great for a lil till it goes again cause something else was causing the MPEM to go. Then Boo-yah. You hate your jet ski. I'd make those guys install and warranty it for 30 days to seriously consider it.

#12 ·
It probably got wet. Just make sure all the grounds are good when you replace it. Check the price of the part first, you might get a big surprise.

I've heard that certain years of that 951 motor are nightmares. Not sure if that applies to all years or just the first one or two.

If you're going with a yamaha 2 stroke, go big or stay home! Go with the 1200

Remember... BOAT - break out another thousand, or more frequently BOATTT - break out another two or three thousand. PWC - see BOAT and BOATTT

#13 ·
QUOTE(sleeper @ Jul 10 2009, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It probably got wet. Just make sure all the grounds are good when you replace it. Check the price of the part first, you might get a big surprise.

I've heard that certain years of that 951 motor are nightmares. Not sure if that applies to all years or just the first one or two.

If you're going with a yamaha 2 stroke, go big or stay home! Go with the 1200

Remember... BOAT - break out another thousand, or more frequently BOATTT - break out another two or three thousand. PWC - see BOAT and BOATTT

Mechanic said there were some loose grounds that he fixed this 951 motor is a 98. but for future winterizing , shrink wrap ect. let me know about a good marine shop I also have a boat, I would like to keep my money in the family (LSCN sponsers)

#14 ·
I have had good past experiance with Jet Craft Unlimited in the past. I know a few other members here that deal with them too. Fair prices and have done good work for me.

The 951 motor is used in alot of Sea Doo's boats. All people have their opinions of the different manufactures. Make your own judgement. I think you have a great machine there. When you get out with friends ask to ride their jet and compare rides. You may end up buying a different brand next time. ALL manufactures have certain issues with componants on there boats. You bought a boat that is very common and you should never have trouble finding the parts. Look at it that way. Enjoy the ride. Take good care of it and maintain it well. When you beat these machines and don't care for them out of the water they won't be nice to you.

Good luck. Enjoy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.