Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally thought I'd buy a 12 gauge. Now I have been told to look at 20 gauge also. I want something I can put a scope on. I shoot much better with a scope, so I told myself I will never hunt again without a gun with a properly sighted scope.

Any suggestions other than Benelli?

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Are you looking for just a turkey and deer gun?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Pump or semi-auto?

I've got nothing but good things to say about my all synthetic black Remington 870 super mag. Get yourself a nice B-Square scope set-up and you're in for like 400-450.

Semi-auto... Not worth the investment if you're not going to spend good coin I've found. I spent about 4 months looking EVERYWHERE. Cabela's, gander, BPS, Dick's, Jay's, Wal-mart, Dunham's, Guns Galore, Target, Action, you name it! If you can't afford an inertia system, i'd say save up your coins till you can. Otherwise, every other Semi-auto just wishes it could be an inertia drive system (Think Benelli, Franchi) unless you dish out the money for that ever-gorgeous Beretta Supersport! I found that the only semi's you can get in that price range aren't worth buying.

So... When confronted with the decision, Would I buy another version of the gun I already have (absolutely) or should I spend an extra 20 bucks or so and get a Benelli Super Nova, I went with the super nova, all black.

Best decision I could've made I think. But it hasn't killed anything other than clays yet so we'll see how much it hates game.

Don't waste your time or money on a 20 guage if you don't already have a good 12. If you don't want a benelli, go Remington 870 super mag, or Mossberg 835 ulti-mag.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Jul 9 2009, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Pump or semi-auto? Not sure

Don't waste your time or money on a 20 guage Why not? if you don't already have a good 12. If you don't want a benelli, Not that I don't want a Benelli, just too expensive. go Remington 870 super mag, or Mossberg 835 ulti-mag. I'll take a look

Thanks a lot

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Go get a Benelli Nova!!! Damn near the same price as a Remi and a much nicer quality gun. 870's are nice, but they are heavy.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jul 9 2009, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(makowish @ Jul 9 2009, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Go get a Benelli Nova!!! Damn near the same price as a Remi and a much nicer quality gun. 870's are nice, but they are heavy.

You mean I have to win both?

Sure, but then you have to give me one of your pistols

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(makowish @ Jul 9 2009, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jul 9 2009, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(makowish @ Jul 9 2009, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Go get a Benelli Nova!!! Damn near the same price as a Remi and a much nicer quality gun. 870's are nice, but they are heavy.

You mean I have to win both?

Sure, but then you have to give me one of your pistols

Na-ah, unless you want MD's Tupperware, no wheeelies for you

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Jul 9 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Grapes @ Jul 9 2009, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>when is the next DU meeting?

EllifIknow?? No e-mail or call yet, I will ask kevin later.

I am done with Wednesday classes. So now I can make the meeting.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Jul 9 2009, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Shep @ Jul 9 2009, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Jul 9 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Grapes @ Jul 9 2009, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>when is the next DU meeting?

Kev is working it.

Bow Chica Wow Wow...There is one nasty visual

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
if I was in the market for a shotgun, I would buy a ticket (that I just happen to have plenty of) from the gilbert's sportsmen's club "20 guns in 20 days" raffle

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
QUOTE(Jason R @ Jul 9 2009, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Jul 9 2009, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Pump or semi-auto? Not sure

Don't waste your time or money on a 20 guage Why not? if you don't already have a good 12. If you don't want a benelli, Not that I don't want a Benelli, just too expensive. go Remington 870 super mag, or Mossberg 835 ulti-mag. I'll take a look

Thanks a lot

- Go pump. They're reliable, easier to clean, and you get more gun for the money than a semi. Semi's you can run into reload issues, eject issues, and some guns require you to change certain parts to shoot certain ammo. Even law enforcers use pumps because they are reliable and aren't as prone to issues.

- I say get a 12 guage first cause of the simple fact that you want to do a lot with it. And if you want to go for deer, you're gonna want a 12 guage slug, if you're going for turkey, you'll want to have more bb's, and maybe even 3 1/2" shells (even more bb's and bang powder). Same story applies for if you ever wanted to hunt for ducks. A 20 guage will be nice and light, but is more of a field gun for birds like grouse, doves (when we had em legally) etc.

- Don't let 20-40 bucks stand in the way when you're already spending 350. You'd be surprised and impressed with what it gets you.

So here's my offer to you if you wish to take it. I have 2 of the 3 guns I assure you most peeps will tell you to go with. I don't own a mossberg. If you buy a box or two of shells (12 guage, 2 3/4 sporting loads can cost 6-8 bucks per box of 25 at dicks or wherever) I will take both guns and meet you up so you can try them and compare. Tuesdays at gilberts would be a good idea, caquse you can ask even more peoples what they like (but them cats shoot expensive brownings and berettas and the like).

Let me know if you're interested. You can certainly make a more educated decision that way me thinks.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
QUOTE(Grapes @ Jul 9 2009, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Jul 9 2009, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Shep @ Jul 9 2009, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Jul 9 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Grapes @ Jul 9 2009, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>when is the next DU meeting?

Kev is working it.

I said that a lot last weekend.

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
QUOTE(Shep @ Jul 10 2009, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Grapes @ Jul 9 2009, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Jul 9 2009, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Shep @ Jul 9 2009, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Jul 9 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Grapes @ Jul 9 2009, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>when is the next DU meeting?

Kev is working it.

I said that a lot last weekend.

Yes you did!!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts