Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess is oil starvation due to sludge blocking oil passages to bearings, spun bearing(s). Going 30,000 miles on factory fill has to say something though!! Especially a rental (beaten on, abused, etc..)

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Chriznat25 @ Jul 2 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My guess is oil starvation due to sludge blocking oil passages to bearings, spun bearing(s). Going 30,000 miles on factory fill has to say something though!! Especially a rental (beaten on, abused, etc..)
As long as the oil light on the dash doesn't come on, all is well, right?

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
QUOTE(Away Point @ Jul 2 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chriznat25 @ Jul 2 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My guess is oil starvation due to sludge blocking oil passages to bearings, spun bearing(s). Going 30,000 miles on factory fill has to say something though!! Especially a rental (beaten on, abused, etc..)

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(Away Point @ Jul 2 2009, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As long as the oil light on the dash doesn't come on, all is well, right?

My god, the Oil Life Monitor reminder on the dash must have been screaming

I dont ever let my Envoy get below 50% ... ok once I let it get down to 25% (8000 miles) on Amsoil. Then again, the Envoy has a 7 qt sump, not sure what the Outlook has.

·
Registered
691 Posts
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Jul 2 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Jul 2 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chriznat25 @ Jul 2 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My guess is oil starvation due to sludge blocking oil passages to bearings, spun bearing(s). Going 30,000 miles on factory fill has to say something though!! Especially a rental (beaten on, abused, etc..)

thats not the right answer?

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Chriznat25 @ Jul 2 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Jul 2 2009, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As long as the oil light on the dash doesn't come on, all is well, right?

My god, the Oil Life Monitor reminder on the dash must have been screaming

I dont ever let my Envoy get below 50% ... ok once I let it get down to 25% (8000 miles) on Amsoil. Then again, the Envoy has a 7 qt sump, not sure what the Outlook has.

Thumbs Up! Fresh oil is happy oil!

QUOTE(itstyme2change @ Jul 2 2009, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Jul 2 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Jul 2 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chriznat25 @ Jul 2 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My guess is oil starvation due to sludge blocking oil passages to bearings, spun bearing(s). Going 30,000 miles on factory fill has to say something though!! Especially a rental (beaten on, abused, etc..)

thats not the right answer?

No it's not. I was making a joke about how some seem to treat the oil light. It's not a "add some oil when you get a chance" light, it's a "stop NOW or your engine is toast" light!

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CLEAR UP:

The "oil light", the red oil can with oil drops coming from it, is NOT an indicator of oil level. Never was, never has, never will.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Chriznat25 @ Jul 2 2009, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>CLEAR UP:

The "oil light", the red oil can with oil drops coming from it, is NOT an indicator of oil level. Never was, never has, never will.
Yes! Roughly equivalent to your heart stopping. Not something you should put off attending to.

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
QUOTE(Chriznat25 @ Jul 2 2009, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>CLEAR UP:

Well if you burned up all the oil you will have no oil pressure
30,000 miles is a helluva long time, that engine had to sound terriffic!!

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I've heard of these stories before. Damn thats hard on the eyes!

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
also LEASE cars returns

do you think that all people that LEASE cars say for two years or so are actually doing 3000 mile oil changes

someone i know had a three year lease, 36K miles, changed it once at 15K and once right before they turned it in......

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
QUOTE(Away Point @ Jul 2 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chriznat25 @ Jul 2 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My guess is oil starvation due to sludge blocking oil passages to bearings, spun bearing(s). Going 30,000 miles on factory fill has to say something though!! Especially a rental (beaten on, abused, etc..)

light ?? what light ??? there's a light ??

like I tell the hub...."gauges are for guys"

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good news is: If you are going to buy an off-lease vehicle, you can easily acquire the vehicles service history at the dealer (assuming service was performed at a GM service center)...

I bought my Envoy, it was an off lease. Before I bought it, I went over to Causleys and had a buddy in the service department print up a service history. It showed 3-4,000 mile oil changes, transmission service, some warranty work, and all recalls closed (performed), and other maintenace items taken care of on time.

A rare occurrence, Im sure!!

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
The car I just replaced was a 1996 Mercury Villager. It died at 350,000 miles.

I bought it with 140,000 miles. I changed the oil maybe every 10 - 15,000 miles. I did not change the oil the last 50,000 miles. Probably could have kept it longer if I did.

Matt

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
QUOTE(Goose @ Jul 2 2009, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(tcg @ Jul 2 2009, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I did not change the oil the last 50,000 miles. Probably could have kept it longer if I did.

Matt

why would you do that???

That sludge was holding it together and it did make it to 350,000 miles.

Matt

1 - 20 of 23 Posts