Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so far...my only soaker through the ice has been a foot in my hole.....(knock on everything wood that is near me-----twice)

but this year i was thinking of dressing all up...as if i were going ice fishing..... carharts..thermals...and all....

(don't know if it will ruin my carharts or not...???)

and taking the plunge........ just to see how my body does react.....will i just gasp...?? could i remain calm...

and then if i'm ok.... walk to the edge of the ice and try to crawl out with my spikes.....

are my carharts gonna be too water logged to pull myself up????

i don't know if the Polar plunge is a gradual walk into the water??? or jump (hence the word plunge?) off the dock into open water???

just a thought right now... so far anybody i have told this to ,,,,has NOT agreed with me

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I've jumped in icy water on several occasions, and it's quite a shock. You immediately gasp and it's quite scary how quickly your body reacts. Remaining calm is difficult even if you're expecting it. If you decide to do it, do it where there is plenty of open water, you don't want to accidentally go under. If you want to do it in all your clothes have somebody there with a rope for safety sake. It's a lot of fun and quite a rush, but you need to be safe. Good luck.

·
LSCN Sponsor
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's at the winterfest in downtown new baltimore,,,, and the fire dept/safety officials are present....along with hopefully hundreds of people around....

so i think the lesser clothes idea isn't possible....lol... but i'd prolly do it that way too

but one of my questions is: will my carharts become to water logged to continue trying to get out with then on??? i paid about 150.00 for the carharts and close to 1,000 in camp dry over the years.... i've always joked that i have so much camp dry on my carharts....i should be able to do the backstroke and troll for walleye...lol

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
i dont think your suppose to wear full gear, not even sure if they'd let you jump in, for exactly that reason, its gonna be heavy coming off. last year they had a catwalk to the opening, then it leads you back to the changing spot to dry off. most were wearing bathing suit, nobody was fully dressed. maybe talk to one of the fireman there and see if you can be the test dummy for what not to do, or look this is whats gonna happen when your wearing full gear and dressed for cold temps.

again though, i dont think they'll let you jump in. have fun with that, maybe ill come up to watch you freeze

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.