Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEW: Yamaha settles bass boat lawsuit
Mark Lamb -- Mon, Sep/8/03

Yamaha Motor Corp., Dawson Marine Boat Sales, Yamaha's Skeeter boats and others have agreed to a $6.885-million lawsuit settlement with boater Michael Davis, according to several newspaper reports on Sunday.

Davis alleged that the design and engine of a Skeeter bass boat were responsible for an October 2000 boat accident in which the bass boat took a sudden turn, throwing the driver from the boat and causing the boat's propeller to hit Davis, according to the newspaper reports. As a result of his injuries, Davis is now a quadriplegic.

"A 90-inch-wide Skeeter boat should not have 200 or 225 horsepower Yamaha engine on it, or any motor of that size," Davis' attorney, Chris J. Roy Sr., told the newspapers.

The lawyer also said during a test by Yahama in January, the same type of boat made a sudden, unexpected turn, throwing a technician into the water.

In addition to the other parties, William J. Self and Progressive Insurance Co. were named in the suit.

Under the settlement, Yamaha will pay Davis $6 million in compensatory damages, Dawson Marina and Boat Sales will pay $750,000 in damages, Yamaha Skeeter will pay $100,000 in court costs and Progressive Insurance will pay $25,000 in damages and $10,000 in court costs, the newspapers reported.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I wonder why the USCG wasn't named in the suit too,.....they obviously had to approve the HP rating for that hull design.......unless the boat was "overpowered", exceeding the labeled specs. Only in America though,.....how long before somebody wins a gazillion dollars against the "Ginsu" company because they cut themselves with a knife?!

Idiocracy abounds!!..LOL

Mac

·
Registered
262 Posts
100% agreement. Who is to say the "sudden turn" wasn't initiated by the driver. I'm not saying they are lying, put with all the trauma of the accident, I would expect the details to be a bit blurred for most people after the fact.

Just like the McDonalds coffee lawsuit, this one and soon the "Fast food made me fat" lawsuits, nobody takes responsibility for actions anymore.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
The USCG does not require HP ratings on boats in excess of 20 feet.

The NMMA should be involved in that too.

Accountability? That was lost along time ago. About the time a California woman won a lawsuit against a skateboard company because the box it cam in failed to mention it didnt have brakes....looks like a the Darwin Awards all over again.

Mini

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hey Mini,

This gives me an idea....Why don't you sue the state of Michingan for putting a ditch and telephone pole on the side of the road?? Or sue GM for designing a drivers seat that's too comfortable and allows drivers to fall asleep. EVERY SINGLE steering wheel should come equipped with a HUGE blaze orange sticker that says "Do NOT fall asleep while operating this vehicle"

Why should you be held accountable?? You should be living like a rock star

I don't see how it's Yamaha's fault. Was the driver of the Skeeter wearing his safety lanyard to kill the motor??

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Quite a few years back someone was swimming around a running engine and got cut up. They sued one of the big engine companies, claiming that a dangerous thing such as a prop needs to have a metal cage around it to keep from cutting people. The court agreed and ordered the company to make design changes, as well as pay a large sum of money. Obviously this was a really dumb ruling and was later thrown out by a more practical judge. As far as new laws go to prevent you from hurting yourself.....you can't legislate against stupidity.

·
Registered
16 Posts
East Coast......my first thought was the last comment you typed.....was the driver wearing his safety lanyard???

if i am not mistaken, wasn't that the reason for the terrible accident on Pontiac Lake about 7 years ago?

try as you may........YOU CANNOT IDIOT PROOF ANYTHING!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
We will all be signing liabiltiy waiver forms when we buy reels too?the next time you partner backlashes and the lure bounces off your hat!!!!we can`t sue the reel company......lol
the line co.will have a statement on the side of the packages..."line can cause backlashes...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts