Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
I was about 13 when some clown pulled something very similar. Dad had rented a rowboat on Pine Lake and he, Mom and I were out fishing. The area we fished was pretty quiet away from most of the boat traffic except for a group of water skiers that decided that area was the best place to ski.
They made a couple passes in front of the boat about 30 feet away. Real nice guys, one of them even waved to us.
I started to get angry and rooted around in the tackle box for something big and heavy with nice sharp hooks, and came up with a big spoon with a nice heavy treble hook on the back. While I'm digging around in the box they decide we aren't paying enough attention to their manly physiques, so they begin to circle the boat. By that time I got even more ticked off, and opened the bail, started the backstroke of my cast, waiting...
Sure enough here they come again. Now bear in mind this is back in the early 1970's when skier wore the wide white belts, not a full vest. I'm timing the perfect cast, ready, set, NOW. The cast was perfect, two of the three hooks on the treble caught him just above the belt. I had set the drag light enough that he could pull some line before it snapped, just right too, the line didn't break until after the hooks ripped him open from his waist to his shoulder. I never saw them or the daredevel again

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
LMAO at lauras story. That is what everyone needs to do. Just start nailing these idiots with treble hooks they'll learn there lesson eventually or they'll have a lot of scars.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
A guy I know who's a member here told me he carries a Pounder with the hooks removed to lob at close passers-by. You can only cast them about 60', so if you can hit a boat with one, then they're totally too close on plane. I was out by Brunner Is yesterday and had some gentleman in his big cruiser come along right on the drop off that I was fishing on plane and he was easily only about 40' away from me. I had to come up on the trolling motor to avoid being hit. It was ridiculous.

Wish I had a hookless pounder rigged for that nice gentlman because he'd be replacing his fancy windshield today.

This is a "Pounder." Musky Innovations Super Mag Dawg, which does weigh a full 16 oz.

Attachments

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jul 14 2009, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A guy I know who's a member here told me he carries a Pounder with the hooks removed to lob at close passers-by. You can only cast them about 60', so if you can hit a boat with one, then they're totally too close on plane. I was out by Brunner Is yesterday and had some gentleman in his big cruiser come along right on the drop off that I was fishing on plane and he was easily only about 40' away from me. I had to come up on the trolling motor to avoid being hit. It was ridiculous.

Wish I had a hookless pounder rigged for that nice gentlman because he'd be replacing his fancy windshield today.

This is a "Pounder." Musky Innovations Super Mag Dawg, which does weigh a full 16 oz.

Funny it really doesn't resemble Mad Dog very much

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Jul 14 2009, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>LMAO at lauras story. That is what everyone needs to do. Just start nailing these idiots with treble hooks they'll learn there lesson eventually or they'll have a lot of scars.

That was also back in the day when common sense was used in investigating certain provoked instances. Now a days you can get thrown in the slammer and have your boat impounded and an extremely high towing and storage fee for wreckless indangerment. Please thnk before acting out, because they have just as much right to use itb than you do. Nobody ever said that common sense was a part of sharing the water ways.

And don't even get me going on those who think a case of beer between 2 people is also on the list of must haves before heading out. Why do some morons think that they can't go fishing or even a cruise or just a day on the lake without making sure they add a large amount of alcohol. 1 or 2 beers while relaxing and fishing I can understand, but they don't need to pound a whole 12/pack or a case just because they are on the water.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I had it happen last week when I was out testing my boat out. Idiots came flying by me in about well I don't know how big it was but it was at least 30+ foot boat and just leaving a wake of destruction behind. I wish I would've had one of those to toss at him. He was maybe and this is giving him the benefit of the doubt of my measuring abilities maybe 40 to fifty feet away from me. I mean come on last year I kind of thought it was cause the boat resembled water with its aqua blue upper half. But now it is BLACK AND CANDY APPLE RED for crying out loud. you can see this boat from a mile away. This is how people get killed and injured is idiots who go buy a big boat and then don't know how to operate it.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Jul 14 2009, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had it happen last week when I was out testing my boat out. Idiots came flying by me in about well I don't know how big it was but it was at least 30+ foot boat and just leaving a wake of destruction behind. I wish I would've had one of those to toss at him. He was maybe and this is giving him the benefit of the doubt of my measuring abilities maybe 40 to fifty feet away from me. I mean come on last year I kind of thought it was cause the boat resembled water with its aqua blue upper half. But now it is BLACK AND CANDY APPLE RED for crying out loud. you can see this boat from a mile away. This is how people get killed and injured is idiots who go buy a big boat and then don't know how to operate it.

As you get older and spend more time on the water and eventually will get used to some of the idiotic behavior. Water combined with boats is an idiot magnet. You'll get used to it after a while and get a pretty good idea of what to stay away from.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(boomhauer @ Jul 14 2009, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Jul 14 2009, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>LMAO at lauras story. That is what everyone needs to do. Just start nailing these idiots with treble hooks they'll learn there lesson eventually or they'll have a lot of scars.

That was also back in the day when common sense was used in investigating certain provoked instances. Now a days you can get thrown in the slammer and have your boat impounded and an extremely high towing and storage fee for wreckless indangerment. Please thnk before acting out, because they have just as much right to use itb than you do. Nobody ever said that common sense was a part of sharing the water ways.

And don't even get me going on those who think a case of beer between 2 people is also on the list of must haves before heading out. Why do some morons think that they can't go fishing or even a cruise or just a day on the lake without making sure they add a large amount of alcohol. 1 or 2 beers while relaxing and fishing I can understand, but they don't need to pound a whole 12/pack or a case just because they are on the water.

Yup, and now that my legal limit is .02 alcohol and boating don't mix.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jul 14 2009, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was about 13 when some clown pulled something very similar. Dad had rented a rowboat on Pine Lake and he, Mom and I were out fishing. The area we fished was pretty quiet away from most of the boat traffic except for a group of water skiers that decided that area was the best place to ski.
They made a couple passes in front of the boat about 30 feet away. Real nice guys, one of them even waved to us.
I started to get angry and rooted around in the tackle box for something big and heavy with nice sharp hooks, and came up with a big spoon with a nice heavy treble hook on the back. While I'm digging around in the box they decide we aren't paying enough attention to their manly physiques, so they begin to circle the boat. By that time I got even more ticked off, and opened the bail, started the backstroke of my cast, waiting...
Sure enough here they come again. Now bear in mind this is back in the early 1970's when skier wore the wide white belts, not a full vest. I'm timing the perfect cast, ready, set, NOW. The cast was perfect, two of the three hooks on the treble caught him just above the belt. I had set the drag light enough that he could pull some line before it snapped, just right too, the line didn't break until after the hooks ripped him open from his waist to his shoulder. I never saw them or the daredevel again

Ahhh that's the Laura I look for !!! Love's guns, bullets, and taggin' water skiers with big hooks!!! A true hunter of all species!!!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jul 14 2009, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jul 14 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was juuuuuuuuuust joking girl. Hopefully I didn't really need to explain that lol

I think I told you before, you're safe with me, well at least on my side of the border

You are def first pick if I ever need a body guard on that side

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
I had a run-in today with a not-so-bright member of this site in the SCR. I was running upriver doing about 40 and this knucklehead runs by me going quite a bit faster, not more than 30-40ft off my port side - WITH THE ENTIRE WIDTH OF THE RIVER AVAILABLE FOR HIM TO USE!!! I chased him down to see what was up and he say's "My bad...I didn't think it was that close."

What was really bad is that I was just about to come down off plane and turn to port. If he had't come by at the instant he did, well....I don't think I would be sitting at home typing this and he might not be sitting there reading it. No excuses.....it was WAY TO CLOSE in 99 out of 100 people's books! Especially at the speed you were driving.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
QUOTE(CaptDoug @ Jul 14 2009, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What was really bad is that I was just about to come down off plane and turn to port. If he had't come by at the instant he did, well...

Wow Doug, good to hear that turned out the way it did.

I am VERY guilty of not looking over my shoulder when coming off plane.

I had to yield today to a boat coming from the port side and unless I am mistaken, he should have yielded to me.

Either way....head on a swivel man, head on a swivel.

I am very proud of myself in that I use my life vest attached to the kill switch whenever I put the boat on plane. That was a self-imposed rule after the daughter was born this spring.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I am so ready to start taking it to these idiots, big dog style!

I've got a bunch of big narly sinkers that would be perfect for'em! Up to 16 ouncers!

As far as the story you linked to 40 horse or not i would have given chase and I would be looking for'em every chance I got.

There are days that I'm tempted to pull out the flare gun & let'em have it but........ Then again there are days I think any jail time would be more than worth it!

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
QUOTE(little guy @ Jul 14 2009, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(CaptDoug @ Jul 14 2009, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What was really bad is that I was just about to come down off plane and turn to port. If he had't come by at the instant he did, well...

Wow Doug, good to hear that turned out the way it did.

I am VERY guilty of not looking over my shoulder when coming off plane.

I had to yield today to a boat coming from the port side and unless I am mistaken, he should have yielded to me.

Either way....head on a swivel man, head on a swivel.

I am very proud of myself in that I use my life vest attached to the kill switch whenever I put the boat on plane. That was a self-imposed rule after the daughter was born this spring.

In my case, the vessel being overtaken (mine) had the right-of-way.

In your case, you have the right-of-way over the vessel approaching from your port side, and the other vessel should have yielded.

But it doesn't surprise me that you had to yield - I've had to yield in that situation several times the past couple of weeks between Metro and the Clinton to vessels that had the right-of-way, in their minds, just because THEY WERE BIGGER THAN ME! In reality that's not the case. They just don't know any better and that's really sad. They go drop upwards of six figures or more on a boat and don't have the foggiest idea how the rules of the road work on the open water.

In one case I was heading north, crossing outside of bouys marking the entrance to Metro. Some guy coming out of the channel in a 30+ft. cruiser jumps the throttle and cuts me off, causing me to come off plane to avoid a collision. And he bothers to wave to me as he does so. So I waved back - but not with my whole hand

1 - 20 of 36 Posts