Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was reported on DRUDGE today. From USA Today.

Jim
--------------------

For feds, more get 6-figure salaries
Average pay $30,000 over private sector

By Dennis Cauchon
USA TODAY

The number of federal workers earning six-figure salaries has exploded during the recession, according to a USA TODAY analysis of federal salary data.

Federal employees making salaries of $100,000 or more jumped from 14% to 19% of civil servants during the recession's first 18 months - and that's before overtime pay and bonuses are counted.

Federal workers are enjoying an extraordinary boom time - in pay and hiring - during a recession that has cost 7.3 million jobs in the private sector.

The highest-paid federal employees are doing best of all on salary increases. Defense Department civilian employees earning $150,000 or more increased from 1,868 in December 2007 to 10,100 in June 2009, the most recent figure available.

When the recession started, the Transportation Department had only one person earning a salary of $170,000 or more. Eighteen months later, 1,690 employees had salaries above $170,000.

The trend to six-figure salaries is occurring throughout the federal government, in agencies big and small, high-tech and low-tech. The primary cause: substantial pay raises and new salary rules.

"There's no way to justify this to the American people. It's ridiculous," says Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, a first-term lawmaker who is on the House's federal workforce subcommittee.

Jessica Klement, government affairs director for the Federal Managers Association, says the federal workforce is highly paid because the government employs skilled people such as scientists, physicians and lawyers. She says federal employees make 26% less than private workers for comparable jobs.

USA TODAY analyzed the Office of Personnel Management's database that tracks salaries of more than 2 million federal workers. Excluded from OPM's data: the White House, Congress, the Postal Service, intelligence agencies and uniformed military personnel.

The growth in six-figure salaries has pushed the average federal worker's pay to $71,206, compared with $40,331 in the private sector.

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/...nterstitialskip

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
like all other job openings right now, it is damn near impossible to get a Fed job.

Last summer I applied for a warren job, met all criteria easily, had an inside contact, and did not get an interview. There were 2 openings and there were over 1,800 applicants.

·
Registered
303 Posts
QUOTE(little guy @ Dec 11 2009, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>like all other job openings right now, it is damn near impossible to get a Fed job.

Last summer I applied for a warren job, met all criteria easily, had an inside contact, and did not get an interview. There were 2 openings and there were over 1,800 applicants.

I hear ya!

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
For the life of me, I do not understand why more don't find this growth in pay and number outrageous!

Every one of these jobs represents a pay cut for everyone else!

Every one of these jobs has a luxury that very few of us have -- failure is not only acceptable, but very common. Nearly impossible to be fired from one of these jobs!

Many of these jobs end up being road blocks to our livelihood. We in essence take a pay cut to fund our own headaches. How insane is that?!!

Considering where our economy is right now, the fact that government is growing faster than virtually any other area, this growth serves to illustrate yet again: Government always prioritizes itself over it's citizenry.

EDIT:
Forgot this was in the boathouse. If this puts it over the edge for the boathouse, Mods, feel free to delete this post. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
QUOTE(Stodge @ Dec 11 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lots of stuff listed at Selfridge.

Federal Jobs Web Site

I check out USAjobs every so often. I don't understand why they have to make it so difficult to apply for government jobs. It is painful applying to these jobs, and then you never hear back on anything.

I was applying to one last night, only to find out 1/2 hr in that I was totally unqualified.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
UH, WELCOME TO OBAMANOMICS PEOPLE! BIG GOVERNMENT BIG TAXES - EASY FOR PEOPLE TO BE SWAYED IN TO HIS COURT BY CREATING MORE B.S. JOBS WITH HIGH PAY AND NO RESPONSIBILITY! I NEVER SAID HE WAS STUPID, HE'S USING THE ECONOMIC DESPERATION HE'S (IN PART) CREATED TO HIS OWN ADVANTAGE.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
First of all - it's perfectly natural for more and more people to cross the $100k mark every year. It's called inflation.

Keep in mind that federal employee's pay is capped - as a government worker, you'll never make more than el presidente. And when compared to top executives in any private company - that ain't sh*t.

Benefits aren't all they're cracked up to be. The UAW gets way better bennies. Better retirement too. Except the old-timers - the government workers under CSRS (the old retirement system - gone for over 10 years, at least) get a sweet deal, everyone else gets a modest defined-contribution pension plan, modest 401k matching (actually called TSP, not really a 401k), and social security.

The pay gap is currently a function of salaries going down in the private sector - NOT salaries going up in the public sector. The government does give raises every year, to just about everyone. They're in line with inflation. This year, inflation was low, so the raise is lower. In the 90's when the economy was booming, government sector pay was typically less than the private sector, probably by about the same amount as today's difference, just in the other direction. And raises then were not enough to close that pay gap - just because government workers are still getting (modest) raises, doesn't mean they're still not underpaid.

I know plenty of Engineers - some that work for the feds in Warren, some that work for the auto industry. The ones in the auto industry make more money, in general. Some of my friends work for suppliers, and they may be an exception to that rule, but the ones that work for GM make more - over $100k - and frankly, they're worth it.

QUOTEShe says federal employees make 26% less than private workers for comparable jobs.

Did you miss that line?

Last time I checked - we need a military. We lose federal employees and the contractors that make all the sh*t that the soldiers use will walk all over us more than they are now. A diligent federal employee can easily save the government his annual salary every year, just by catching sh*t that the contractors shouldn't be doing. And a lot of that sh*t doesn't get caught - because there aren't nearly enough acquisition personnnel to fight a war nowadays.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(sleeper @ Jan 4 2010, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>First of all - it's perfectly natural for more and more people to cross the $100k mark every year. It's called inflation.

Keep in mind that federal employee's pay is capped - as a government worker, you'll never make more than el presidente. And when compared to top executives in any private company - that ain't sh*t.

Benefits aren't all they're cracked up to be. The UAW gets way better bennies. Better retirement too. Except the old-timers - the government workers under CSRS (the old retirement system - gone for over 10 years, at least) get a sweet deal, everyone else gets a modest defined-contribution pension plan, modest 401k matching (actually called TSP, not really a 401k), and social security.

The pay gap is currently a function of salaries going down in the private sector - NOT salaries going up in the public sector. The government does give raises every year, to just about everyone. They're in line with inflation. This year, inflation was low, so the raise is lower. In the 90's when the economy was booming, government sector pay was typically less than the private sector, probably by about the same amount as today's difference, just in the other direction. And raises then were not enough to close that pay gap - just because government workers are still getting (modest) raises, doesn't mean they're still not underpaid.

I know plenty of Engineers - some that work for the feds in Warren, some that work for the auto industry. The ones in the auto industry make more money, in general. Some of my friends work for suppliers, and they may be an exception to that rule, but the ones that work for GM make more - over $100k - and frankly, they're worth it.

QUOTEShe says federal employees make 26% less than private workers for comparable jobs.

Did you miss that line?

Last time I checked - we need a military. We lose federal employees and the contractors that make all the sh*t that the soldiers use will walk all over us more than they are now. A diligent federal employee can easily save the government his annual salary every year, just by catching sh*t that the contractors shouldn't be doing. And a lot of that sh*t doesn't get caught - because there aren't nearly enough acquisition personnnel to fight a war nowadays.

As a government contractor for the past three plus years I agree with alot of this and vehemently disagree with some of this.....I dont make $100k/yr and I FINALLY got a raise after 3 years of service to my company and countless hours working on behalf of the safety of the warfighter. I work side by side with people that have put in 20+ years of service to our country and they are capped out in pay. Most of them still work the overtime and do what is needed to make sure that the job gets done. Even if it means putting in the extra time (and NOT GET PAID FOR IT) to make sure the warfighter has what they need. There are some VERY talented people that do this and I know they could make more in the private sector.

Oh and the benefits (helath and retirement) are NOT that great. The days off are nice though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts