Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick question for all of you:

I have two children ages 2 and 4 that will be on the ice with me wherever I go. While fishing under 1 Michigan resident license, what is the maximum number of lines i can fish? Am I allowed to fish three lines per license? or three lines per person? I love setting tip ups for pike and eyes while i had my son fish a minnow or waxie but with the addition of my daughter to the fishing crew, it appears that i will not have a rod in hand.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Should be 3 lines per person, but a CO may ask you if your 2 and 4 year old are capable of tending their own tip-ups.
If not you may want to stick to 3 rods/tip-ups.

My $0.02

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(reel_crazy @ Dec 14 2009, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>While fishing under 1 Michigan resident license, what is the maximum number of lines i can fish? Am I allowed to fish three lines per license? or three lines per person?

Three rods per license. Otherwise, you'd have six guys in a boat fishing under one license.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Dec 14 2009, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(reel_crazy @ Dec 14 2009, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>While fishing under 1 Michigan resident license, what is the maximum number of lines i can fish? Am I allowed to fish three lines per license? or three lines per person?

Three rods per license. Otherwise, you'd have six guys in a boat fishing under one license.

Yet the age requirement for Michigan Residents is 16 correct, so how do they (young kids) legally cast from shore? That is why i am asking the question, there appears to a disagreeement.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Your children are allowed to fish without a license and they have all the same rights as someone who holds one. They are allowed the same amount of additional lines and the same additional limit of fish. As little guy mentioned you could run into a problem if the children are not actively fishing. But that does not sound like it would be a problem for you.

The problem comes when a guy decides to bring his baby out with him to add 3 more lines or a guy is fishing 9 tip ups while his kids are sleeping in the shanty.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Dec 14 2009, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I see a Young Angler All Species license for $2 in the regs. To have three lines for each of them, they'd each need a license....three lines per license.

Esox that is a voluntary purchase not mandatory. The benefit to buying one is based on federal dollars coming to Mi conservation efforts. Each license sale equates to approx $6 in Fedral tax coming back to Mi plus the $2 fee

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
QUOTE(islander @ Dec 14 2009, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Your children are allowed to fish without a license and they have all the same rights as someone who holds one. They are allowed the same amount of additional lines and the same additional limit of fish. As little guy mentioned you could run into a problem if the children are not actively fishing. But that does not sound like it would be a problem for you.

The problem comes when a guy decides to bring his baby out with him to add 3 more lines or a guy is fishing 9 tip ups while his kids are sleeping in the shanty.

Thats how i understand it to be.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(islander @ Dec 14 2009, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Your children are allowed to fish without a license and they have all the same rights as someone who holds one. They are allowed the same amount of additional lines and the same additional limit of fish. As little guy mentioned you could run into a problem if the children are not actively fishing. But that does not sound like it would be a problem for you.

Yes that is the rule. And if you read the book the rules are enforced by the co's so if they know that someone just brought a baby out to get a couple extra lines in the water. Then I believe most cos will issue a ticket.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Didn't we go through this st the start of the season. I believe it's 9 lines in this case. 2 things tho, be sure that the kids can actually tend their lines,I don't know how old they are .but I think I'd be leary of that many tip ups being out. Seems the a red flag for a c.o. Better hope he's in a good mood.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Another rule with a lot of "gray" area; common sense should be part of the equation. If I'm a CO, the fisherperson better have the ability to tend his lines or a ticket will be written, unless otherwise stipulated in the rule book. 90% of life is common sense.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
The second time I read your question, I saw where 1 child was 2 years old. You may be pushing the intent of the law.

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE(EagleLarry @ Dec 15 2009, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The second time I read your question, I saw where 1 child was 2 years old. You may be pushing the intent of the law.

AND YOUR AVITAR IS PUSHING THE EXTENT OF THAT TANK TOP! LOL!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts