Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Three R's: Reading, Writing, RFID

851 views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  pauligan 
#1 ·
Do you think this is right? Are you offended or unmoved?

Do you think this is a violation of constitutionally protected rights?

Full Story Here

---------------->
RFID (tags) are miniature transmitters that can be encoded with various data including your name, age, weight, ssn etc. Ostensibly they have been being developed over the last 5-10 years as a way of tracking merchandise through the chain of business from raw material and into the customer's home.

They can be inserted under the skin, worn, be sewn into a garment or assembled into a product, such as an adult toy, beer or gallon of milk.
<----------------

Walmart and several other clothing stores recently 86'd a plan to do the same for its customers but it will be back.

---------------

Gary Stillman, the director of a small K-8 charter school in Buffalo, New York, is an RFID believer.

While privacy advocates fret that the embedded microchips will be used to track people surreptitiously, Stillman said he believes that RFID tags will make his inner city school safer and more efficient.

Stillman has gone whole-hog for radio-frequency technology, which his year-old Enterprise Charter School started using last month to record the time of day students arrive in the morning. In the next months, he plans to use RFID to track library loans, disciplinary records, cafeteria purchases and visits to the nurse's office. Eventually he'd like to expand the system to track students' punctuality (or lack thereof) for every class and to verify the time they get on and off school buses.

"That way, we could confirm that Johnny Jones got off at Oak and Hurtle at 3:22," Stillman said. "All this relates to safety and keeping track of kids.... Eventually it will become a monitoring tool for us."

Radio-frequency identification tags -- which have been hailed as the next-generation bar code -- consist of a microchip outfitted with a tiny antenna that broadcasts an ID number to a reader unit. The reader searches a database for the number and finds the related file, which contains the tagged item's description, or in the case of Enterprise Charter, the student's information.

Unlike bar codes, which must be manually scanned, RFID-tagged items can be read when they are in proximity to a reader unit, essentially scanning themselves. The school uses passive RFID tags that are activated when radio waves from the reader reach the chip's antenna. (Active RFID tags incorporate a battery that constantly broadcasts the chip's ID number and are much more expensive.)

The technology has raised a ruckus in recent months, as companies such as Wal-Mart move from bar codes to RFID to track merchandise and libraries place the chips in books to streamline loans. Privacy advocates worry that the technology will be used to track people without their knowledge.

But for Stillman, whose public school is located in a gritty Buffalo neighborhood, RFID is about accounting for the whereabouts of his charges and streamlining functions.

"Before, everything was done manually -- each teacher would take attendance and send it down to the office," he said. "Now it's automatic, and it saves us a lot of time."

The charter school's 422 students wear small plastic cards around their necks that have their photograph, name and grade printed on them, and include an embedded RFID chip. As the children enter the school, they approach a kiosk where a reader activates the chip's signal and displays their photograph. The students touch their picture, and the time of their entry into the building is recorded in a database. A school staffer oversees the check-in process.

The school spent $25,000 on the ID system. The $3 ID tags students wear around their necks at all times incorporate the same Texas Instruments smart labels used in the wristbands worn by inmates at the Pima County jail in Texas. Similar wristbands are used to track wounded U.S. soldiers and POWs in Iraq and by the Magic Waters theme park in Illinois for cashless purchases.

But the Buffalo school is believed to be the first facility to use the technology to identify and track children.

[--excerpt --]

"I think the Buffalo experiment is getting children ready for the brave new world, where people are watched 24/7 in the name of security," said Richard Smith, an Internet privacy and security consultant. "My main concern is that once we start carrying around RFID-tagged items on our person such as access cards, cell phones, loyalty cards, clothing, etc., we can be tracked without our knowledge or permission by a network of RFID readers attached to the Internet."

Lee Tien, an attorney at the Electronic Frontier Foundation -- who has vehemently opposed a San Francisco Public Library Commission plan to use the chips to track its inventory -- was also critical of the program.

"In general, all person-location-tracking technologies raise privacy issues, from hiding beepers on people's cars or in people's clothing to video surveillance," Tien said. "Insecure location-tracking technologies raise the further question of who is tracking, as well as who has access to any tracking records kept by the system."

See less See more
#3 ·
wow thats sooo crazy - that's what I was taught when I was younger that the mark of the beast '666' would be some sort of microchip embedded in everyones skin and used as everything from identification to bank cards.

#6 ·
QUOTE(pauligan @ Oct 24 2003, 10:19 AM)At first I thought they were implanting the chips as well and started to feel hostile, but then read through the article and it's a chain around the neck...

seems no different than the punch card used at a lot of work places. NO big deal.
Ms. P is correct!
The boss says wear it or no job~You will wear it!
They do it to the vehicles already.
No more sleeping while on "sales" calls!
"No boss I wasn't at the B(o)(o)bie bar for lunch" <_<

#8 ·
QUOTE(rerun @ Oct 24 2003, 08:03 AM)I will never allow any type of chip in my body......mark of the beast.....I believe that to be the fall of mankind.

I agree Re, big mess if that happens.

#9 ·
QUOTE(pauligan @ Oct 24 2003, 09:19 AM)At first I thought they were implanting the chips as well and started to feel hostile, but then read through the article and it's a chain around the neck...

seems no different than the punch card used at a lot of work places. NO big deal.
While that may be true in this particular interest, what about planting them in consumer items? The jeans you wear may be able to transmit your location at any given time.
That is scary.

Also, you cannot deny that with any new technological advance there are people in this world that will use it to their advantage regardless of the morality of the use. Some one could hack the system and find anyone, anywhere, anytime. Your privacy would be lost.....

I dont like it.

Mini

#10 ·
Get ready for the present/future...

Think of how we are already tracked: online EVERYTHING.. shopping, banking, spy ware, people listening over telephones, bank machines, meijers... anywhere you use anything electronic, it is logged somewhere...

Nothing you can do about it if you want to flow with the future.

And yeah, some people are going to get blasted with some criminal stuff...

but that happens anyhow with life...

#12 ·
QUOTE(pauligan @ Oct 24 2003, 10:03 AM)Get ready for the present/future...

Think of how we are already tracked: online EVERYTHING.. shopping, banking, spy ware, people listening over telephones, bank machines, meijers... anywhere you use anything electronic, it is logged somewhere...

Nothing you can do about it if you want to flow with the future.

And yeah, some people are going to get blasted with some criminal stuff...

but that happens anyhow with life...
Pauline, we are already watching you!!!!

#14 ·
<_< I can't stand this invasion of privacy SHEEEOOOTT!!! I just dumped an awesome search program that I found because it was tracking everything I did and started the spam Horse Hockey (read SHEEEOOOTT) This thing was cool in a way, whatever site you were on it started bring up similar search options on it's task bar. Started to get wigged out of all the Big Brother stuff it was starting though and then the Spammails. It also had an anti popup button but if you selected it, everytime you went a webbing it wanted to sell you this anti popup software. AAAARRRRGGGGHH

#15 ·
Mini in on the right track and Rerun, Veronique and Cap'n Rob are wise in their cautiousness.

To anyone blah blahing a conspiracy theory they have been duped by the bleating sheep. This is OLD news.

A guy in the UK embedded a chip in the forearm of all of his immediate family around 3 years ago.

In any case I am hoping someone will make an interesting inference such as Mini's example.

Remember when you were a kid and had your first kiss? How would you like being tracked with that?

Sure you are tracked online but your own person is something else entirely.

#16 ·
This particular article has nothing to do with embedded chips in a person... it is a punch card device used on youth.

I see how the sidelines did start, though...

I still maintain my stance, that the world is constantly changing... and we may not like it, but what, specifically are you going to do about it other than state "I don't like this or believe in it?"

I don't waste my time on things outside of my control when it concerns the world...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.