Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last Sunday Ladybug (Mary) got hit in the back (really hard) with a football that some big and plentiful dudes were throwing right in the center of the raft in the Moot. So, that stopped me from starting anything with them. It was really discurraging when they just laughed it off.

This is one other reason I don't raft my boat in that. I witnessed the ball hit a few boats. One throw came very close to some electronics on the dash of one. That would have been a very expensive mishap.

What does everyone think?

A. Rumble in the Moot over it?

B. Ask the dudes to stop it, and chance a fight?

C. Don't worry about it, who cares?

D. Buy more footballs in case they run out?

E. Write a letter to "Dear Abby"?

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I am torn between A and E.

All kidding aside, hope Mary is ok. I just missed getting beaned by one. It hit the water just in front of me. That would have hurt if it had got me.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Ya missed one

F. Break out the newly constructed potatoe gun and say opps it misfired as they are pulling french fries from their @$$

Hope Mary is OK...any bruising???? The back is not to mess with

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Screw the electronics damage, the possible head injury or bloody nose, I had two full beers knocked over by some jackass throwing a football around!!!

Seriously, a small nerf with care maybe, but a full hard football is too much. It has to be pointed out by a few people right away right when the ball is pulled out. Take the ball by hand and ask if they could throw it away from the crowd.

Most of those meat-heads wont understand if you say they might hurt someone, they don't care. Maybe say you just had to replace your GPS/Plotter last week cause it was hit by a football. Regardless, safety and peerpressure in numbers, have a few people agree with you when you ask.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not have Johnny Z call them out and tell them to knock it off? I heard he did some of that last year in different situations. Put that mike to good use with some PSA's.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
That is horrible.....I hope our little LadyBug is doing well with no bruises......

That could have been a child......I have a 5 year old and I'd do something I can't post......They should use a nerf or go away from everyone......

If a lot of people were being hit or electronics broken, maybe radio it in??? Better yet.....if we have a big enough raft off we could chase them away.....That is a tough call and I'm shocked they would laugh. They go hand in hand with the hit and run folks....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw guys doing this last year and it's just a bad idea all around. Usually to show how cool they are they throw it as far as they can which means they have no accuracy at all, with the throw going too long, too short, or off line. Which of course puts it in the middle of a group of people not expecting it or knowing it's about to hit them. Gotta shut them down early, before someone gets hurt. Man, that's such a parent thing to say...

·
LSCN Sponsor since 3/11
4,629 Posts
I agree that throwing a football, water balloon launcher, or any objects out in the raft is a bad idea. Last year I must have thrown half a dozen footballs way outside the raft, or just put them away in the boat. Only a few people had the balls to ask for their football back. Those idiots don't realize how dangerous it is... or maybe they do and don't care.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Girlscout got hit in the head two weeks ago. (she's a member here and a crew member on the JJII) These guys were throwing it back and forth as hard as they could and one went off tract and hit her.
Sucked really bad she could of been hurt. The guy did rush over and say sorry and offered to let her punch him in the face. She declined and was ok in the end but it still sucked. The guy quit playing after that.

That's a very tough call.....I guess what Focker did but you risk a fight with that too.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
QUOTE(Focker @ Jul 1 2003, 08:48 AM)I agree that throwing a football, water balloon launcher, or any objects out in the raft is a bad idea. Last year I must have thrown half a dozen footballs way outside the raft, or just put them away in the boat. Only a few people had the balls to ask for their football back. Those idiots don't realize how dangerous it is... or maybe they do and don't care.

A lot of the times the football isn't even theirs, so they probably assumed it was yours and gave up!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I got hit in the face by a frisbee last year and let me tell you...it hurt!
Some people just don't have much common sense. Also had a football knock a friends drink out of her hand and all over my boat. It seems that as soon as you get one group to stop another starts.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 3/11
4,629 Posts
QUOTE(Deuce-Five @ Jul 1 2003, 09:30 AM)QUOTE(Focker @ Jul 1 2003, 08:48 AM) I agree that throwing a football, water balloon launcher, or any objects out in the raft is a bad idea. Last year I must have thrown half a dozen footballs way outside the raft, or just put them away in the boat. Only a few people had the balls to ask for their football back. Those idiots don't realize how dangerous it is... or maybe they do and don't care.

A lot of the times the football isn't even theirs, so they probably assumed it was yours and gave up!!!
Let me re-phrase that...
Last year we must have had half dozen footballs thrown at us or near us and I threw them outside the raft or just put them away in the boat.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
That's BS!!!!! I wish I would have been there, Bill. I hope Mary's ok!!!! That ever happens and I'm around, make sure to call me over and point these douchebags out. We can then size 'em up and figure the best course of action from there. I'm there for ya buddy!

I agree with threecarbs, anything like that ever happens to my 4 year old, big guys or not, someone's getting medi-vac'd out of there by helicopter, and it ain't gonna be me.

Accidents happen, but if these meatheads are just being big dumb, cocky a$$es, they need to be dealt with. If strength in numbers is needed then I'm sure there's plenty of peeps around willing to help.

Gee, can't wait to make my first Moot appearance now. Sounds like SO much fun!

·
Registered
419 Posts
i got hit last year square in the face w/ a football in the raft/alley. i was pissed. besides the fact that it hurt and was embarassing, it put a scratch in my sunglasses which are of the more expensive variety and i totally baby them. i took the ball and tossed out of the raft and gave the guys an "eff you". the thing was, it was not like these guys were playing catch, the were playing long ball. trying to throw the ball 30 yards w/ tons of people in the way. oh yeah, and not one of the guys near me apologized. the most discouraging part was that one of the guys actually retrieved the ball and started doing the same thing. they had no respect or concern for others in the area. i think if you are going to play ball in that area, use a nerf of something, not a real ball. in general, i think it is a bad idea, and should be kept outside of the raft.

and btw - i don't think it is worth getting into a fight over. nothing good will come of that. even if your girlfriend or wife gets hit, fighting is not going to solve the problem. this is an instance where you just need to be the bigger person and walk away.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Wonder if this could be considered an assault and prosecuted? If you went up to someone in the street and hit them in the face with a football I'm sure it would. At least it's negligant assault. What do they think would happen throwing around a heavy ball as hard as they can in a full crowd. I'd say any reasonable person would see a potential for damage there. Anyways, there would be plenty of witnesses, and if they had a larger boat then you, maybe next year you would own it!!!!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
PEOPLE CAN BE SO RUDE SOMETIMES , AT THEY LEAST THEY SHOULD HAVE SAID SORRY , AND QUIT PLAYING , HAD THAT HAPPEN COUPLE YEARS AGO , GUYS WERE REAL BONE HEADS , FRIEND HAPPEND TO HAVE SNORKEL , AND MASK SO SWAM OVER TO THER BOAT AND CUT LOOSE THERE ANCHOR , THAT GOT THEM TO LEAVE , , WASNT RIGHT THING BUT IT WORKED , I WANTED TO TAKE THERE PLUG OUT OF BOAT .

·
Registered
179 Posts
QUOTE(Deuce-Five @ Jul 1 2003, 02:27 PM)Anyways, there would be plenty of witnesses, and if they had a larger boat then you, maybe next year you would own it!!!!
you could rename the boat "Pain and Suffering"

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(garydebs @ Jun 30 2003, 10:18 PM)Ya missed one

F. Break out the newly constructed potatoe gun and say opps it misfired as they are pulling french fries from their @$$

Hope Mary is OK...any bruising???? The back is not to mess with

BUSTIN UP OVER THIS ONE !

Hope mary wasn't hurt, or embarrassed ..

·
12,052 Posts
Do I really need to reply here? Manana where are you? My last year in the raft (at the time MY rafts) was 1998 in little muscamoot. It seemed EVERY weekend something got broke on the boat and I just had enough. I even took the swim ladder off and had two bouncers stand on the platform to throw the JERKS off that thought it was ok to just jump up on someone's boat. After I bought the latest Hammertime I didn't want to deal with that crap anymore. Raft with responsible boaters, you know, the ones whose fenders are big like yours, and take the dinghy's over to the kaos.

I do like the remove the plug idea. I bet I could hold my breath long enough to do that. Heck, last year I changed a prop on a 34' searay in the bay with a kids mask only.

·
Registered
284 Posts
This is why my wife and I usually don't join the "raft." I am one who is in favor of an LSCN raft or something of the sort, because I do not like getting in a situation like explained above with these yahoos. I would fight. Me personally, I would have been forced to say something to these clowns, cut the football into little pieces, and challenge them all to a fight. May not have won, but the next day they would have known they were in a fight(would have gotten a few punches in) and maybe they would think twice about it next time. Only challenge these a$$holes if you are ready to go all out, because they may call you on it. Personally, I usually don't care because I am always up for a good challenge, and size isn't everything(even though I am a tad over 6' and a few lbs over 250). My wife and I are usually out there every weekend, we have a white 20' four winns with a dark green stripe. If you would like to join us, we are usually before the raft, or just shoot me an email or something and we can set something up to meet out there. Always like to hang with people out there, but crowds with a few jacka$$es make me mad.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts