Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
QUOTE(AC/DC @ Mar 8 2010, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Anyone ever remove one or know someone that can remove and install one?

I had a mechanic show me how when I replaced mine.

It involved laying on my back under the boat with a big hammer and beating the daylights out of it.

Matt

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
LOL.beat it with a hammer. WOW. Transducer???

Which type: Transome or Hull mounted? You unscrew the nut that holds the ducer in if its the hull type. Then remove the gasket and wood shim fom inside of the boat that helps torque the ducer in place. Then you slowly twist the ducer out. Email me if you need help.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Guys the transducer was factory installed with either 5200 or epoxy. There was no twisting it out. Heat did not work.

It did involve hitting it with a hammer until the outer lip separated from the transducer. That lip then had to be removed with a putty knife and a hammer.

That was my experience.

Matt

This is the type of transducer I was removing. It was also mounted under the motor.

Automotive tire Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics Lens

Attachments

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
OK GUYS. I INSTALL TRANSDUCERS ALL THE TIME. YOU DONT HIT IT WITH A HAMMER UNDER THE BOAT IT COMES OUT BY PUSHING IT FROM THE BOAT. IT IS SEALED BY EPOXY OR 5200. QUESTION WAS HOW TO REMOVE IT. ONCE AGAIN. UNSCREW TRANSDUCER WIRE FROM THE HEADUNIT,REMOVE DUCER NUT,UNDER THE NUT THERE IS A SEAL(WASHER) OR A WOODEN SHIM,ONCE ALL REMOVED GRAB THE DUCER AND START TWISTING IT SIDE TO SIDE AND APPLY PRESSURE DOWN. NEVER TRY TO GET IT FROM OUTSIDE ONLY FROM INSIDE. IF IT WONT MOVE THEN GET A RUBBER HAMMER AND GIVE IT A COUPLE OF BLOWS. IF YOU ARE GOING TO REPLACE IT THEN NO WORRY BUT REMEMBER TO MATCH THE ID OF THE OLD HOLE TO THE NEW OD OF THE DUCER. 5200 IS USED LIKE A SEALENT. OVER PERIOD OF TIME IT DRIES OUT AND CREATES LIKE A GASKET MOLD BUT THATS WHAT STICKS AND MAKES IT HARD TO POP OUT.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
I've removed a few over the years and followed pretty much how Big_Z describes it. Haven't really had a problem. 5200 can be some pretty tough stuff when it's fairly new, but it seems like if it's been in there many years it seems to lose some of it's "toughness"

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
I described my experience. No need to shout.

In my case it was rock solid and the transducer was mounted under the motor. There was no way to exert downward pressure from the inside of the boat without pulling the motor.

I used a method that did not involve pulling the motor and accomplished removing and replacing the transducer in a few minutes.

There is more than one way to skin a cat especially tough or unusual cats.

The ideal method does not always work. The poster asked if anyone had done it themselves. I did and described how.

Matt

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Sorry for all Caps. My other notebook has problems with keys.

Fiberglass and gelcoat is super strong. Dont worry about putting a hole or crack in it. When you remove the old ducer main important thing is to match new one to be the same size.

When you remove anything from the button or back of the boat always inspect the codition of the glass. Look for moisture or separation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts